300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had to go to the Media

Some of you are aware of the situation I have been dealing with.

My own City and Department have basically thrown me away.

The situation has gotten so bad that I recently had to bring the story to the media.

Thought some of you might like to see it.

http://www.wicz.com/fox40/video.asp?...2D08+cop%2Ewmv

- Vito

The paper I did in regards to LE and traumatic events....My professor and I had a chat after words, and basically, He said, among other choice comments...
    That LE needs to have more supportive services and open minds or traumatic events. That the level of support versus the services given by one person is drastically unequal.
    He also noted the Taboo of mental health issues with in LE. no...not saying cops are crazy but there is a level of depression and a HUGE number of cops that have some forum of PTSD. To make it taboo and only "policy" to go through the motions of getting back to duty......is scary.

We also discussed the drug and MI persons that have guns and the laws / policy of gun control and what a joke it has become in some areas...

I hope it works out for you, and I hope this doesn't black ball you in any departments.
    Luck!
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

Comment

Man, that's f'd up...Don't know what to say other then the best of luck
      to you, get your job back and then take them for everything you can....
      -------------------------------------------------

They don't care how much you know, until they
      know how much you care.

Comment

A question of clarification:

In the news report the city responds (via written statement) that it cannot discuss the case in public without a written HIPPA (medical privacy) waiver from you.

Then you respond in the video saying that the city has all the papers they need.

Sounds like there's a bit of confusion here. Possibly something ended up on the editing floor, or the reporter misunderstood. Either way it is sloppy journalism.

There are the papers you filed in order to make what I assume is a disability claim, which you say have not been responded to.

Then there's a HIPPA waiver which would allow the city to speak to the press regarding your case.

Two very different things. When you say the city has all the necessary papers, were you referring specifically to your claim? Or do they also have a HIPPA statement allowing them to discuss the matter?

Don't get me wrong. I'm on your side. This is really messed up and I believe the city is jerking you around. The written statement was just an excuse to avoid talking to the press. But whether or not they discuss the matter in public (with the press), they still have to respond to your claim.

Incidentally, this could fall under Americans with Disabilities Act protections. Given the nature of your job, they COULD run you out if your disability is permanent. However, if you have documentation that it is a TEMPORARY disability, my non-expert guess would be you have ADA behind you.

Good luck to you. Hope you win this one.
        Last edited by rubyrose; 08-05-2008, 01:40 PM.
        Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
        Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
        A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

That is a good point and I can address more correctly what happened regarding the waiver issue.

The media actually got that point wrong.

I have submitted medical release forms to the City (and strangely enough they keep asking for the same form over and over... it's now been submitted three times) in order for the City to evaluate my claim.

As the story was being investigated, the City told the media and my attorney that they could not comment unless I signed two additional waivers. They also demanded that these waivers be produced by them and that nothing else would suffice. My attorney's advice was simple; If I'm comfortable with everything being out in the public, sign the waivers.

I agreed to sign the waivers and the City told my attorney's office that it would fax them over yesterday. We waited and waited, and they never fax'd them. Later, learned that at 4 pm yesterday they fax'd a written statement to FOX News stating they were unable to comment because they didn't have a signed release from me.

I was more than willing to sign the waivers, they simply didn't follow through on their promise to send them. I couldn't very well sign documents that the City demanded come from them when they were never provided.

FOX actually held this story from last Thursday trying to get comment from the City. After yesterdays fiasco FOX had had enough and decided that the City never had any intention of commenting so they went ahead and aired the story.

But you are correct; the Media did mess up that part of the story. They did a good job on the rest as it was all accurate.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

PTSD is hard enough to deal with, especially when you can only sleep for an hour or two per day because of nightmares. Having to deal with being abandoned by your own Department just adds to the difficulty. I'm not really living anymore, only surviving.

- Vito
          Last edited by vvincelli; 08-05-2008, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Hang in there Vito.

W/C has the tendency to treat everyone bad. But because nobody talks amongst each other...everyone feels its a "personal" thing. It's not.

Our W/C treated everyone like ***** until word of their actions started to leak out. There has since been a rearrangement of personnel...and yet they are still considered on the "other side"...treatment of individuals have gotten better.

Good luck....and you should look into a W/C attorney. Things tend to go smoother.
            This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Ok, now I get it. Too bad the reporter didn't clarify that in the story. But like everyone else, they make mistakes.

Consider pushing this into a larger media market. The city really looks bad, but as long as they can keep the story confined to a small media market (your local area), they probably will keep the jive talk up until it all blows over.

For now, try to keep up the local pressure. What about the local newspaper?

Originally posted by vvincelli View Post
              That is a good point and I can address more correctly what happened regarding the waiver issue.

The media actually got that point wrong.

I have submitted medical release forms to the City (and strangely enough they keep asking for the same form over and over... it's now been submitted three times) in order for the City to evaluate my claim.

As the story was being investigated, the City told the media and my attorney that they could not comment unless I signed two additional waivers. They also demanded that these waivers be produced by them and that nothing else would suffice. My attorney's advice was simple; If I'm comfortable with everything being out in the public, sign the waivers.

I agreed to sign the waivers and the City told my attorney's office that it would fax them over yesterday. We waited and waited, and they never fax'd them. Later, learned that at 4 pm yesterday they fax'd a written statement to FOX News stating they were unable to comment because they didn't have a signed release from me.

I was more than willing to sign the waivers, they simply didn't follow through on their promise to send them. I couldn't very well sign documents that the City demanded come from them when they were never provided.

FOX actually held this story from last Thursday trying to get comment from the City. After yesterdays fiasco FOX had had enough and decided that the City never had any intention of commenting so they went ahead and aired the story.

But you are correct; the Media did mess up that part of the story. They did a good job on the rest as it was all accurate.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

PTSD is hard enough to deal with, especially when you can only sleep for an hour or two per day because of nightmares. Having to deal with being abandoned by your own Department just adds to the difficulty. I'm not really living anymore, only surviving.

- Vito
              Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
              Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
              A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6458 users online. 352 members and 6106 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X