300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about becoming a cop?

ok i've been wanting to become 1 for a while. i just joined a cadet program. and im woundering if i need to go to collage to become a cop? i really dont want to go to collage. i was wanting to go to the marines. is that possible? to do military instead of collage?

Originally posted by m0nk17 View Post
    ok i've been wanting to become 1 for a while. i just joined a cadet program. and im woundering if i need to go to collage to become a cop? i really dont want to go to collage. i was wanting to go to the marines. is that possible? to do military instead of collage?
    Im not an officer but this is in the general topics forum so ill put in my 2 cents.

From what i heard This basically depends A LOT on what dept. you are around or trying to get hired by. Some will substitute college for the army or something. But it really depends on the dept.
    Cant wait to get out there!!!

Richard Francis 1948 - 2008
    Killed in the line of duty.

Comment

Since you can't spell wondering or college, the military might be a good choice. Go to the recruiter and take the ASVAB test, this is give a score that will let the recruiter know what MOS you can qualify for. Prepare for lots of PT and running with heavy objects, the recruiter will do an assesment of your physical condition, the MEPS doctors will check out your medical conditions and inspect your body piercings and tatoos to make sure they are safe. The Marines will not take anyone with tatoos that show when wearing the uniform. So if you have forearm tatoos then you get long sleeve shirts.

Do a web search on a thing called the crucible, if you can go 56hrs without sleep and food and cover 40miles or so in that time carrying gear, then you might qualify.

Marine boot camp is like never ending gym class with yelling.

Comment

Since you can't spell wondering or college, the military might be a good choice. Go to the recruiter and take the ASVAB test, this is give a score that will let the recruiter know what MOS you can qualify for. Prepare for lots of PT and running with heavy objects, the recruiter will do an assesment of your physical condition, the MEPS doctors will check out your medical conditions and inspect your body piercings and tatoos to make sure they are safe. The Marines will not take anyone with tatoos that show when wearing the uniform. So if you have forearm tatoos then you get long sleeve shirts.

Do a web search on a thing called the crucible, if you can go 56hrs without sleep and food and cover 40miles or so in that time carrying gear, then you might qualify.

Marine boot camp is like never ending gym class with yelling. The link below will give you info on basic training, the IST you must pass just to start basic training or you will go into PCP physical conditioning platoon or Pork Chop Platoon as the other recruits will call you.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marin...arinebasic.htm

If you can not meet the requirements for the Marines IST there is always the Air Force where you will learn to run on treadmills and air stepper bikes in a A/C gym and shoot a rifle at 25yds. But the AIR force also like more book smarts as they get trusted with the control switch for nuclear weapons. There will be plenty of schooling for you, probably faster than they would put it to you in college, so don't think you are done learning.

Also understand that the minimum signup is for 8years. Might sign up for 4 active and get out and married with a baby and if they want you back, you gotta go till your 8year hitch is up. Or if they want you they might not let you out at all till the 8 is up.
        Last edited by David Hineline; 08-05-2008, 03:35 AM.

Comment

I know Your daughter is a Marine David, but I will disagree completely. This guy needs more school, and lots of it. I understand typing errors and the spell check on my computer does not work with this particular site for some odd reason. But, in the original post, a serious lack of basic grammer and spelling was displayed. If a career in LE is the eventual goal, then some remedial classes are in order.

To the OP if you would like to join the Marines go for it, but never write Marine with the m in the lower case, it is disrespectful. Part of becoming a good Marine is accepting the Corps as your new father, mother, brother, and anything in between. By that I mean you respect it, you love it, you back its play, and take all of the comradarie to heart. Because when the %^it hits the fan all you have is your brother on your left an right to protect and to protect you, and you better be ready to do your part. The Marive Corps has(d) the second highest averages for ASVAB scores from what I was told some time ago when I enlisted.

Some of the smartest people I have ever met were in Recon, especially in math, so don't buy into the myth that just because we growl, grunt, scream, and act like complete maniacs, that we are unlearned or unintelligent. All of that has a purpose and it an intergral part of how Marine warfare is comducted.

I now digress.

Comment

Originally posted by m0nk17 View Post

If you go the military route, the police departments will def look into this vs just being a average Joe off the street. If I was you id just stick to college (Aka collage) and get some education. With a good education, most departments will pay you extra dependent on which degrees you do have. As far as the war in Iraq, there is still alot of termoil over there so id reccommend not going over and just keeping your butt over here in the USA. If your joining an explorers program like you mentioned, this will also help you out.
            My opinon is to go to college and then join a department or join a department and then have them pay for school.

Comment

yus i wood go in dem mareenes
              "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

alot of agencies gwive fwive pwoints with military expiwi ance.

Comment

Originally posted by futuredeputy420
                  lol....4 rel
                  Hah! Anyway, back to the subject though, if you would like to join the Marine Corps, that's great! Just keep in mind that there are also 4 other branches of service to choose from. Don't just join to make it look good on the resume, because it won't be an enjoyable 4 (or however long) year enlistment. Plus, you might really like the military and want to make that a career instead of law enforcement.

Yes everyone may be making fun of you for spelling, but police officers write reports and your spelling has to be legible, and you have to know how to spell!

Another option is...you could go to college, and join the reserves! BAM! Two birds with one stone, OMG I'm so smart!

Comment

Based on my limited experience as a Federal LEO, we're almost expected to have a degree or be very close to getting one. In the Park Service, there's nothing that says I need one, but the impression I've been given is that I won't advance without one. Plus it's not a bad idea at all. If you don't want to do the four to five year plan, there's always the two year associate's degress that many community colleges offer. They tend to be substantially cheaper as well.

Secondly, the whole point of an academy or any kind of education is to give you, the LEO, a better chance at being smarter than the suspect. So the more education you can get, the better at you job you can be. Lastly, being able to outsmart your opponent means you can go home at night.

Comment

Please, go to college and learn to spell.

Or, at the very least, if you can't spell well on your own, learn how to use SPELL CHECK...

Good luck!
                      Last edited by Presence; 08-05-2008, 09:52 AM.

Comment

OK already... he gets it. Give the guy a break, all you internet geniuses. Even the stick feels bad when it's still hitting the decaying horse.

A peace officer is also supposed to have compassion and understanding for his/her fellow man. The kid isn't a dirtbag. He wants to serve his community for goodness sake. Just answer the damn question, it's his first post.

College or USMC. It's a personal preference really. If you don't think you want to go to school, join whichever branch you like. That will help you pay for your school later, as well. Get the G.I. Bill though. I didn't take it and later regretted it.

What you may not understand, and I didn't when I made my decision, is that college isn't like high school. You don't get in trouble for not going, you don't have to go 7-4 Monday thru Friday, and the college scene is actually really fun. It's nothing like high school. You are your own keeper there, provided you don't get into legal trouble. And the girls there are some of the best lookin Betties you'll ever find. EVERYBODY gets laid in college.
                        Last edited by Looker; 08-05-2008, 11:30 AM. Reason: cause I had more to say!

Comment

m0nk17, A buddy of mine went through the Delayed Entry Program into the Reserves. He went to boot camp the summer after he graduated high school, went to college the next school year, then on to basic infantry training the next summer, and so on until he was done with his training and school. So, he was able to go to school, AND earn the right to be called Marine. It doesn't always have to be either/or...

Originally posted by Looker View Post
                          EVERYBODY gets laid in college.
                          Clarification needed: EVERYBODY gets laid in REAL college. If I knew then what I know now, I would have told my local junior college to kick rocks.
                          "...I'm gonna' ride that one-legged pony to baloney town..."

"I just assume most people are half-retarded, and it's my job to remind 'em."

Comment

Deleted post.
                            Last edited by Sarkis; 08-05-2008, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Looker View Post
                              OK already... he gets it. Give the guy a break, all you internet geniuses. Even the stick feels bad when it's still hitting the decaying horse.

A peace officer is also supposed to have compassion and understanding for his/her fellow man. The kid isn't a dirtbag. He wants to serve his community for goodness sake. Just answer the damn question, it's his first post.

College or USMC. It's a personal preference really. If you don't think you want to go to school, join whichever branch you like. That will help you pay for your school later, as well. Get the G.I. Bill though. I didn't take it and later regretted it.

What you may not understand, and I didn't when I made my decision, is that college isn't like high school. You don't get in trouble for not going, you don't have to go 7-4 Monday thru Friday, and the college scene is actually really fun. It's nothing like high school. You are your own keeper there, provided you don't get into legal trouble. And the girls there are some of the best lookin Betties you'll ever find. EVERYBODY gets laid in college.
                              +1, and another +1 for the "EVERYBODY gets laid in college."
                              son, if you keep this up, soon you'll inherit the family mullet!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6106 users online. 345 members and 5761 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X