X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson County (MS) Deputy Murdered

http://www.wlox.com/global/story.asp?s=8780581

By Sylvia Hall - bio | email

JACKSON COUNTY, MS (WLOX) - Jackson County Sheriff's Deputy Fred Gaston was murdered Saturday night in the parking lot of a North Carolina motel.

Deputy Gaston was on his way to Virginia for a two week session with the Air Force Reserves, when he stopped overnight at a Microtel in Gastonia, North Carolina. Investigators believe just before midnight, Gaston was robbed at gunpoint by two teenage boys who shot him once in the chest.

Deputy Gaston was taken to the hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

Tommy Barnette, Jr., 17, and Rekceam Fleming, 16, are both charged with first degree murder. Barnette is also charged with possession of a firearm by a felon.

Gaston recently served as interim police chief for the Moss Point Police Department. He also worked with the Gulfport Police Department in a law enforcement career that has spanned almost two decades.

Many of Gaston's fellow law enforcement officers expressed shock when they heard the news Sunday.

"It absolutely made me sick at my stomach. It absolutely floored me, and it hurts my heart very deeply," Jackson County Sheriff Mike Byrd said

"I was just dumbstruck, I couldn't figure out how it happened," Moss Point Police Lieutenant Mark Meisenbach said. "It just goes to show that if you let your guard down for one second, it could happen even to somebody that's trained to spot stuff, to spot suspicious activity."

While Gaston was relatively new at the Jackson County Sheriff's Department, he had already begun to make his mark. Sheriff Mike Byrd describes Gaston as one of the finest officers you'd ever meet.

"Anything you gave him, he could handle. There wasn't a task that he couldn't," Sheriff Byrd said.

Meiselbach has similar memories of his former boss.

"He was easy to get along with," he said. "He didn't expect you to do more than you could do, and he gave you tasks that you were capable of doing."

Deputy Gaston will be sorely missed by the law enforcement community.

Sheriff Byrd said, "Its very tragic when you lose a public servant, a police officer, especially one like Fred Gaston."

Gaston was 49-years-old. He leaves behind a wife and two children. Funeral arrangements are pending.
    This was one of the finest officers (and person) I have ever had the pleasure to meet and work with.

R.I.P Fred
    Thoughts and prayers to his family
    Last edited by MSCO; 08-04-2008, 01:24 AM. Reason: typo

My thoughts and prayer go out to his family and friends.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

My deepest sympathy to the officer's family and his department.

Glad they got the dirt-bags responsible.
      Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Not only did Deputy Gaston serve his community, but the article says he was an Air Force reservist and serving our country. I hope these scumbags get what's coming to them!
        It's better to be hated for what you are, then to be loved for what you are not.

Comment

If memeroy serves right he was an air force reserve colonel, he was going for his last two weeks of duty before he retired.

Comment

I worked under Fred Gaston for several years before he left for another agency. He was one of the smartest men I ever knew, and he was dedicated to the community he served. Prayers to his wife and kids.
            "Nuts" ---Lieutenant General Harry Kinnard

Comment

My thoughts and condolences to Deputy Gaston. Truly tragic. I hope these scums rot.

Comment

an update

Deputy Gaston was laid to rest today.
                http://www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp...9&nav=menu40_2

Rest In Peace Brother

Comment

I also have had the pleasure and honor of working with Fred on the coast after Katrina. Rest in Peace my friend.

Comment

R.I.P. Brother

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4197 users online. 237 members and 3960 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X