Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your department doing about rising gas prices?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your department doing about rising gas prices?

Think this will work?

http://www.wthitv.com/Global/story.asp?s=8756144

Speeding ticket costs may go up to fight gas prices

Posted: July 29, 2008 06:41 PM EDT

Updated: July 29, 2008 07:16 PM EDT

FEATURED VIDEO

Speeding ticket costs may go up to fight gas prices

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - The price of having a lead-foot could be getting more expensive.

To fight the high price of fuel, Vigo County is considering raising the cost of speeding fines.

Many departments within Vigo County use county-owned vehicles, and they have to pay for that fuel.

It's a significant chunk of the budget. For example, consider the Sheriff's department.
    Deputies use their vehicles every day to patrol the county.

That's a lot of fuel. So the County Commissioners are trying to get creative. They're looking at cost-saving ideas like four day work weeks, using ethanol based E-85 fuel and purchasing smaller vehicles.

They're also looking at ways to make money. One idea is to raise violation fines, like speeding tickets.

Having more money in the budget, will hopefully avoid the county making cutbacks. According to Commissioner Judy Anderson, that's something they don't want to do.

"They're important, what they do is important, every day, you know, 24-7. They're out there, one way or another. How are you going to cut those kind of services? You can't," Vigo County commissioner, Judith Anderson said.

Vigo county isn't alone, other counties are also tightening their belts and getting creative.

In March, the Knox County Sheriff's Department temporarily suspended their take-home car policy.

City police departments like Terre Haute and Clinton have also placed restrictions on their officer's cars.

Report by Liz Nichols, WTHI
    http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Sounds like a good plan to me; hopefully that'll catch on everywhere. I've heard Tucson Police may go double up on cars b/c of the situation; I don't know how it's effecting the Pima County Sheriffs or AZDPS

Tucson Police Department
    07/27/08 : Applied
    09/27/08 : Written Test 89/100
    09/28/08 : PT Test Finished Top 3 In Group A
    09/29/08 : Oral Board I Must've Done Well
    10/03/08 : Eligibility Rank #3 Of 51 Remaining
    10/13/08 : Polygraph Passed
    10/15/08 : BI Initiated

Arizona Highway Patrol
    08/18/08 : Applied
    10/13/08 : Withdrawn

Pima County Sheriffs
    10/25/08 : PT Test
    10/25/08 : Written Test
    10/27/08 : Oral Board

"An Arizona Law Enforcement Hopeful"

Comment

One of our officers just caught a city employee (Graffiti removal person) filling up their POV gas tank at the city yard pumps. They detained him and called out several detectives. The dude confessed he and a small group of other employees have been doing it for years. Our city manager, just several months ago, looked in to taking away most of the detective "take home" cars because of gas prices. Luckily it didn't happen, but I wonder how many thousands of dollars this idiot and his cohorts are responsible for.
      Well...Bye

Comment

Silly me.....I always thought that traffic enforcement was suppossed to be about SAFETY and not about REVENUE?.....

This puts the lie to everytime some political hack says that increased traffic enforcement is about safety.....
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6109 users online. 343 members and 5766 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X