300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago cop in Iowa prison while drunk is on the loose

I've posted on this story before. This article was in the Chicago Tribune this morning. Don't think for one second this couldn't happen to you. Keep a good thought for this Officer.

Chicago cop in Iowa prison while drunk is on the loose
    John Kass
    August 3, 2008
    Chicago Police Supt. Jody Weis and Cook County State's Atty. Dick Devine have asked Iowa Gov. Chet Culver for justice in the case of Chicago cop Mike Mette.

"It just seems that it's a miscarriage of justice," Weis told me late last week after writing a letter to Culver. "I just want the governor to take a look at the case and maybe he'll see the same things we saw. I just don't think justice was served. The punishment doesn't fit the crime."

If there was a crime.

It doesn't seem that it was a crime. Not in America. Maybe in some other country, but not here. When someone attacks you, you have the right to defend yourself. Even in America.

John Kass Bio | E-mail | Recent columns

Mette, a good cop with a good record, was in Dubuque in 2005 when he and his brother and friends ran into two angry drunks.

One of them attacked Mette, repeatedly, pushing and screaming, as Mette tried to get to the safety of his brother's Iowa apartment. Mette avoided the drunk, once, then twice. The third time, when the drunk punched him in the chest, Mike punched back. Once.

And for that he was sentenced to 5 years in prison. On Sunday, he'll have been behind bars for 280 days, for the crime of self-defense, or the crime of being a Chicago cop in Iowa. The prosecutors in Dubuque whine every time I write about this, and they often exaggerate their case to their local media so it won't smell so bad. A reasonable man might think that insider politics is at play.

Now the drunk is doing fine. He went back to the golf team in college, and kept bending his elbow, racking up a DUI and, later, another conviction for public intoxication. If he drives through a crowd, they might even make him stand in the corner for a couple of minutes.

The Iowa prison authorities won't even let me interview Mike. They turned me down last week. They said that since he's appealing his conviction, he can't speak to me. Amazing. It's their state, their rules. He's a cop in prison, and they don't want you to hear him.

If he could speak, he might be able to tell you what his dad told me. Bob Mette, an investigator in the Cook County state's attorney's office, reports that Mike's health is breaking down. A few weeks ago, he complained of a fever, and authorities told him nothing was wrong, to take laxatives, he'd be fine. Two days later, Mike's appendix burst.

Even worse, he's been denied a parole hearing. They say he's not yet eligible because he hasn't completed an anger-management course, and because of this he wasn't ready to be a law-abiding citizen again.

What nonsense.

I mean no slight to the people of Iowa. Everything I've heard about Iowa has been good. For us in Chicago, Iowa is presented as if it's heaven. Low crime, good people, clean air, great pheasant hunting, great wrestling. When politicians talk about values, they mean Iowa.

So I can't believe Iowans would abide what's happened to Mike in the name of justice. And I can't believe—and won't believe—that the people of Iowa would abide any retribution against Mike in prison because I've written this.

But the politicians must be abiding some of it. They yanked Mike's parole hearing. They come up with their reasons. And here in Chicago, every cop keeps Mike in his or her heart.

Chicago cops understand politicians, how somebody's somebody gets pinched with a gun and drugs and gets walked out of the station by an alderman, while a cop just puts his toe over the line and gets crushed. They know about lack of support from the politicians who show up at their funerals with the bagpipes and the teary speeches, and then betray them, again and again.

And every time Supt. Weis goes to a meeting with his patrol and tactical officers—the real police who make the arrests—they ask him about Mette. He's become a symbol for them, a cop railroaded, at a time when police officers are often cast as villains.

"They ask, 'Is there anything you could do?' And after researching this a bit, we are sending a letter out asking the governor to make sure justice is served because I really believe this verdict is completely outside the guidelines for what happened," Weis said.

Weis, a former FBI supervisor who spent more than 20 years at the bureau, checked out the story thoroughly and checked Mette's background thoroughly.

"The fact that Mike is a police officer is immaterial in this case," Weis said. "He was assaulted three times and he took action against the guy who was assaulting him. I think the punishment that came down against him was totally inappropriate."

Devine sent a letter months ago, in January. In it, Devine, a veteran prosecutor, made similar points, asking for Gov. Culver's guidance, understanding and mercy for Mette.

Culver still has not bothered to respond to Devine's letter.

He might be too busy; he might have forgotten. More likely, an aide may have buried Devine's letter, and might bury Weis' letter.

But a good Chicago cop is buried too. In an Iowa prison. For the crime of self-defense.

[email protected]
    -------------------------------------------------

They don't care how much you know, until they
    know how much you care.

What status does leave his position as a Chicago Police Officer in?

Comment

That's truly pathetic, WTH is going on in Iowa?

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

On unpaid leave. source:http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/28...cop/index.html

know how much you care.

Comment

Cut and paste from another report.

When police arrived, they found Gotthard lying on the ground with bruises and lacerations on his face, cheek, nose, chin and forehead. Mette, who had blood on his shirt and whose knuckle was bruised and cut, was arrested and charged with a felony.

"[Gotthard] had bruises on the side of his neck, his arms, his elbow, his shoulders, on his back, that were simply not consistent with Mr. Mette's version that he only struck him once," said Assistant County Attorney Tim Gallagher.

Dubuque doctors testified the injuries were consistent with someone who had been stomped and kicked.

Comment

Dubuque County Judge Monica Ackley found that Chicago Police Officer Mike Mette "was not the initial aggressor of this incident," Jake Gothard was. Nevertheless, Judge Ackley ruled that Mette was guilty, because even after Gothard struck him three times, Mette should have just ignored it and retreated

Jake Gothard wasn't charged, although he has since been arrested for driving under the influence. He returned to compete in college golf tournaments and, apparently, to the party circuit, having displayed dozens of drinking photos on his Facebook page.

Jake Gothard, the official victim in the case, agreed to an interview Friday but then backed out on advice of his lawyer because he says they plan a civil suit against Officer Mette

source:http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1866036/posts

know how much you care.

Comment

Alright, so what I see the law put this man in jail because he should have pampered this scum?

Comment

Or, is it something else??

Mike hired Ben Roth as his attorney to represent him in court. Mr. Roth told

Mike he shouldn’t ask for a jury trial because he was from Illinois and this is Iowa. Roth also told Mike he knew the judge assigned to the case, Judge Nigg, and he never had a problem with the self-defense defense. Judge Nigg was well aware of Gothard’s criminal history. Judge Nigg handled at least one of Gothard’s nine arrests where he found him guilty. Of Jake Gothard’s nine arrests four were traffic offenses and the five most recent were alcohol related offenses.

At the last minute Judge Ackley was substituted for Judge Nigg. Ben Roth’s father, James, is a lawyer who was on the committee that selected Judge Ackley for judgeship in 2003. When Judge Ackley was assigned to Mike’s trial, Roth never objected, asked for a jury trial, or a substitution of judges. Maybe Roth should have asked Judge Ackley to recuse herself since she worked for the law firm where Stephen Juergens was a partner. Stephen Juergens’ brother, David, was married to Lynn Juergens who is the loan officer at the Dubuque Bank. As the loan officer, Lynn Juergens has notarized many of Curtis Gothard’s (Jacob’s father) loans. Curtis Gothard is the telemarketing executive/director of Truck Country which is owned by Robert McCoy. McCoy is on the board of directors at the Dubuque bank.

All the above is taken from actual testimonies in depositions or in the courtroom.

source:http://www.mikemettedefensefund.com/docs/Mr.Potter2.doc

know how much you care.

Comment

Originally posted by David Hineline View Post

When police arrived, they found Gotthard lying on the ground with bruises and lacerations on his face, cheek, nose, chin and forehead. Mette, who had blood on his shirt and whose knuckle was bruised and cut, was arrested and charged with a felony.

"[Gotthard] had bruises on the side of his neck, his arms, his elbow, his shoulders, on his back, that were simply not consistent with Mr. Mette's version that he only struck him once," said Assistant County Attorney Tim Gallagher.

Dubuque doctors testified the injuries were consistent with someone who had been stomped and kicked.
                  In another thread about this same case, there was some additional information that doesn't paint Mette in such a good light. Other accounts say he and his friends were drunk and obnoxious and refused to leave the victims house, where there was a party. It was also said that the victim tried to dial 911 and Mette took his phone from him, and then destroyed the door of the residence. This might explain why the victim was the "initial aggresor". Also the extent of the injuries do not seem likely from a single punch.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtD401 View Post
                    Wow...that's sad.

I hope he keeps his position as a Chicago Police Officer.

Comment

I don't know the details of this story, but how much had the officer had to drink that night? Also what is the typical sentence for assault? 5 years seems like an awfully long time.
                      What is Perseverance?
                      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

I would like to see the facts of this case. Like what the medical examiner said, photos, and maybe the police report. If he was indeed at another guy's house drunk and breaking **** then he needed to go to jail. But if he only punched him once, well then I can see his side of the story.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtD401
                          One of them attacked Mette, repeatedly, pushing and screaming, as Mette tried to get to the safety of his brother's Iowa apartment. Mette avoided the drunk, once, then twice. The third time, when the drunk punched him in the chest, Mike punched back. Once.
                          Originally posted by David Hineline

Originally posted by bigislander72
                          ... etc ... the extent of the injuries do not seem likely from a single punch.
                          Yeah, it do make one wonder.

I want to believe the cop from Chicago, but to do so means all those Iowa cops and that prosecutor are wrong.

What to believe?

I guess they'll iron it out eventually.
                          Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 08-03-2008, 10:26 PM.
                          "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by Limeade View Post
                            I would like to see the facts of this case. Like what the medical examiner said, photos, and maybe the police report. If he was indeed at another guy's house drunk and breaking **** then he needed to go to jail. But if he only punched him once, well then I can see his side of the story.
                            CNN gives a unbiased report of the incident http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/28...ml#cnnSTCVideo

ABC http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...cal&id=5478651
                            presents both sides as well.

David Hineline, you left out this part of that quote: "But a doctor testifying for Mette's defense rejected the Dubuque findings. He said all those injuries could have come from Mette's single punch and the impact from falling on the sidewalk". Source: CNN
                            Last edited by SgtD401; 08-04-2008, 06:23 AM.

know how much you care.

Comment

Originally posted by David Hineline;1356591[B

[/B]

Is the victim of this assault a choir boy..........of course not........but neither is the ex-cop. He has a prior DUI (by his admission in court)..........had had been at the strip bars in East Dubuque, IL until closing (4 a.m.) then went to the party in Dubuque............[/COLOR]
                              Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                              I don't know the details of this story, but how much had the officer had to drink that night? [COLOR="Red"]Also what is the typical sentence for assault? 5 years seems like an awfully long time.
                              Assault with SERIOUS injury is a 5 yr class D Felony in Iowa...The alternative charge is called Willful Injury......and is a class C 10 yr felony.............But must prove the WILLFUL part............Simple Assault is a misdomeanor..............By Iowa Statute ....SERIOUS injury involves any injury to the head...........and this guy was airlifted to a Level 1 Trauma Center because the local MD's thought it was a serious injury........He was hospitalized for a week and of course there are a lot of second guessers about just how bad his injuries were.........but he was hospitialzed for a week and the Dr on the scene AT THE TIME thought it was serious

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr View Post
                              Yeah, it do make one wonder.

I want to believe the cop from Chicago, but to do so means all those Iowa cops and that prosecutor are wrong.
                              What to believe?

I guess they'll iron it out eventually.

Thank you....................1 drunk off duty cop, his drunk brother, and two drunk friends............and their father who is a DA investigator in Cook County have drug the reputations of 3 sober, hard working Dubuque Police Officers, the on duty sober shift supervisor, and the Dubuque prosecutors office thru the mud

He was offered a plea bargain for a simple misdemeanor but turned it down (or according to the current rant.......his attorney turned it down and didn't tell him) and decided to take the case to trial.......rolled the dice and lost......The trial was held in front of the judge with no jury (a bench trial)........once again at the request of the defense............so it was the sole descision of the judge as to guilt/innocence..............she heard both sides and made her descision.

The prosecutor had a document on their website that included some of the arrest reports.......but it was deleted when the website was revamped......I have it saved somewhere as a .pdf file ...............but it told a whole lot more than the Mette camp wants other LE to know about............or the press seems to want to print because it doesn't shed a lot of good light on the defense side of the story.

I would be more than happy to make that 9 page pdf file available to anyone who wants to PM me with an official government email address......(not a home or yahoo, gmail, or some other knockoff account)..send me your work account or forget it

I did not get the info from any super-secret place. Nor is any info I used here from confidential or official sources.The Dubuque County Attorney had it posted on their website but I am not going to email it out to everyone................anyone able to post a pdf file on the forum....PM me.

There is a lot more to the story..............a lot. I can't go into a lot of detail due to having official access to some of the details.
                              Read the CNN story that SgtD401 suggests......it is more unbiased than the Kass story

Side Note:
                              Mette is in an Iowa minimum security prison.............he has gone up for parole and was denied until he takes an anger management type class.............He has an appeal in process...........this time his attorney is one of the most highly respected attorneys in Iowa, and is a former Iowa Supreme Court Justice who left the bench to make more $$$$$$$$ but is still highly respected even in the LE community.
                              Last edited by Iowa #1603; 08-04-2008, 06:41 AM.
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2982 users online. 150 members and 2832 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X