300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies/TV Shows in Desperate Need of a Police Technical Advisor

Granted, Hollywood has to use it's artistic license in telling a story and/or shooting over the top action sequences. My pet peeve is when they get lazy.

For example, while watching Silence of the Lambs for the 40th time on cable:

There is a scene where SWAT storms a house looking for the serial killer. None of the cops are at the low ready, they're bouncing around aimlessly with their weapons pointed to the sky. One cop even jumps through a closed window into the house.

My point is this, if you spend tens of millions on a movie wouldn't you at least spend a few measly grand using off duty cops or at least putting a former cop on the payroll as an advisor?

What are some other horrific Hollywood hatchet jobs? I don't mean the Dirty Harry, Die Hard or The Shield stuff, that's suposed to be mindless action entertainment. I'm talking movies that in some respect were supposed to present an accurate (or at least passable) potrayal of cops doing their jobs.

Also why does every Hollywood cop have a gigantic key ring on their duty belt? It's enough to make a janitor jealous....
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

It wasn't actually supposed to be an accurate representation, but the new Harold and Kumar movie was horrible. It was like they purposely screwed up everything related to the government and military. The federal agents had amber lights on their cars, the army soldiers were wearing the old woodland camo uniforms, one of them weighed way to much to be admitted into the military, and he had a huge beard. I know it wasn't supposed to be about the government, but they were making obvious mistakes that most people could probably spot. Plus, the movie was terrible anyway.

Comment

I've heard that the reason tv and the movies always has the cop's gun next to his/her head, pointed to the sky, is it puts the gun in the camera shot and supposedly makes it more dramatic.

Comment

HBOs The Wire does pretty good job. One scene that comes to mind on one episode is where the two officers get into a fight on the parking lot because the guy on the night shift keeps leaving his trash in the car for the officer on the other shift, that shares the car, to clean up. When I seen that, I laughed, I knew they had real cops advising.
        The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

I've talked with several guys that were tech advisers on several movies and TV shows......they give out the info, but the movie director ect does what he/she wants......they are NOT all that interested in accuracy for the most part......
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Also what gets me are those prop guns that just shoot flames out the barrel, no slide recoiling, brass ejecting, it just looks fake and tacky. I guess the only people that really notice are gun ehthusiasts though. I was watching Shooter the other day and with all the technical info they threw in there about long distance shooting ("wind, elevation, humidity, temerature, even the corriolas force the spin of the earth effect the shot") they still didn't even bother using real guns with blanks, just those pos prop guns.

The only movies I can think of that really hit the nail on the head with realism are Collateral and Heat. Gotta love Michal Mann.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop View Post
              There is a scene where SWAT storms a house looking for the serial killer. None of the cops are at the low ready, they're bouncing around aimlessly with their weapons pointed to the sky. One cop even jumps through a closed window into the house.
              And since when is it FBI policy to let rookies wander around after serial killers?
              sigpic
              Don't make me gassy.
              You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

I think the worst one is still CSI. These freaking people who've been burglarized... "I think they touched this, or I think they breathed over here. Can't you vacuum the air and serparate out his DNA?!"

And the crime lab. It's huge. Our DNA/Fingerprint processing area is about the size of a large broom closet. It has two ovens from the 1950s for guns processing, a bunch of cotton DNA swabs, some wax paper envelopes, and a over sized magnifying glass. Last time I checked there wasn't a computer that was able to sift through DNA at a million hits a second and pop-up with an exact match in 2.4 milliseconds.

And getting the results back from the crime lab in 5 minutes? Pff. Try five years!

Its really annoying. I wish the media would stop giving people these false ideas of how investigations work so people can stop telling us how to do our jobs. ^_^ Sorry for the rant.
                Last edited by Smolla126; 08-03-2008, 06:54 AM. Reason: I used "LoL" about 12 times. Gross.
                Oh, yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it... or, learn from it!

Comment

I hate the movie practice of racking a round as a form of speech instead of having a loaded gun in the first place.

Comment

How about when the actor cop holds a bad guy at gunpoint with the slide locked back on their weapon?
                    "The only means we possess to thank them is to try to be as good an American as they were. We might fall well short of their standard, but there is honor in the effort."

Comment

I view it as just a movie I am watching it for entertainment purposes, if I want accuracy I will tune into history channel or watch a training video. I must agree that some of the (if not most) process and procedures are no where near how WE actually do things but I like that, if you are stupid enough to believe Hollywood then I guess you deserve to be sitting in the back seat of my patrol car.
                      It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

My pet peeve is the cop that can shoot 50 bullets out of his handgun without reloading.

I still think the old Police Story seris was one of the best cop shows ever made.
                        Retired LASD

Comment

You dont even have to look at movies. Just look at that show COPS. Majority of those jokers do the dumbest **** for the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop View Post
                            Granted, Hollywood has to use it's artistic license in telling a story and/or shooting over the top action sequences. My pet peeve is when they get lazy.

For example, while watching Silence of the Lambs for the 40th time on cable:

My point is this, if you spend tens of millions on a movie wouldn't you at least spend a few measly grand using off duty cops or at least putting a former cop on the payroll as an advisor?

What are some other horrific Hollywood hatchet jobs? I don't mean the Dirty Harry, Die Hard or The Shield stuff, that's suposed to be mindless action entertainment. I'm talking movies that in some respect were supposed to present an accurate (or at least passable) potrayal of cops doing their jobs.

Also why does every Hollywood cop have a gigantic key ring on their duty belt? It's enough to make a janitor jealous....
                            Yeah I cant watch movies with my wife, it drives her nuts when I complain about how silly the production is. I enjoyed NYPD Blue as the scenarios were realistic. Of course there were plenty of silly things in the show. As far as Silence of the Lambs the biggest flop from the get go was how they take a RECRUIT from the Academy and put her in the field. And of course she saves the day. I just try to remind myself Hollywood is the land of make believe.

Comment

I thought CSI took the cake as well:

:::Oh, lets just enter this little crime scene and start picking things up willie nillie, la de dah... oh, maybe I should put it back and take one picture after I finger-F'ed it all. Oh well, I'll get a full confession in 12 minutes anyways:::

But Eva La Rue is damn hot, and she can come help me with my crime scene any time!! Puuuuuhhleeeeee-heeee-heeeeezzzz.

I just saw you tilt your head to the right!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4766 users online. 261 members and 4505 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X