300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver who killed Harris deputy constable gets probation

A man who struck and killed a deputy constable while driving and talking on his cell phone will lecture students and young drivers on the dangers of distracted driving as part of a plea agreement negotiated this morning.

James Michael Legg pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor offense of failure to yield to an emergency vehicle in connection with the death of Jason Norling.

Norling, a 38-year-old motorcycle officer for the Harris County Precinct 5 constable's office, was killed in October when Legg's vehicle hit him as he stood on the shoulder of a busy Westpark Tollway, writing a traffic ticket.

Legg admitted his guilt to visiting County Court at Law Judge John Hughes. He was sentenced to six months' deferred adjudication, three days in jail, a $500 fine and 80 hours of community service.

Criminal defendants who successfully complete the terms of deferred adjudication avoid final conviction, but the fact that they were charged remains a part of their record.

Legg's community service will include lecturing young drivers that talking on a cell phone while driving can be fatal, said his attorney, Kent Schaffer.

"Jim has been incredibly remorseful since the beginning," Schaffer said. "He felt he needed to do something to make up for taking a life."

Prosecutors tried to indict Legg on a felony charge in January, but grand jurors returned an indictment for failure to change lanes for an emergency vehicle, resulting in death or serious bodily injury.

Punishable by six months in jail and a $2,000 fine, the 2003 law requires drivers to change lanes or slow to 20 mph below the posted speed limit as they pass.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5915629.html
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

what a freaking joke.
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

Comment

What the heck... at least there should be *some* time in a cell.

Comment

Originally posted by texaschickeee View Post
        "Jim has been incredibly remorseful since the beginning," Schaffer said. "He felt he needed to do something to make up for taking a life."
        Well, isn't that nice.

Comment

Unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by texaschickeee View Post
            Legg's community service will include lecturing young drivers that talking on a cell phone while driving can be fatal, said his attorney, Kent Schaffer.
            Try lecturing from a casket.

I agree with TC... this is a complete joke.
            sigpic

Comment

For not putting this guy in jail for even a short amount of time is like a slap in the face to all us who wear a badge. I feel for the family who has to deal with the fact that really nothing was done.

Comment

That's pathetic.
                I am a Native American of non-Indian decent.

Cleaning the pool, one gene at a time.

I'm on a 30 day diet. So far I've lost 15 days!

Comment

Under the circumstances as presented, reckless driving here. Class 1 misdemeanor normally, a class 6 felony if resulting in death. Max $2,500 fine and / or 12 months jail, 6 mo lic suspension if no death. Being that a death occurred, there could be a 1-5 year sentence ... or the 12 months and/or fine.

Talking on a cell phone while driving is not a violation here, there was no evidence of other unlawful acts either, just the failure to maintain proper control. Guy appears remorseful. He probably would have drawn a few years here, with all but one suspended under terms ... but possibly could have drawn a lighter, more lenient sentence comparable to that given in this case.

Few years ago I charged a truck's driver just so, he wasn't speeding, etc. Just topped a grade and allowed himself to be distracted long enough to fail to notice that traffic was stopped ahead until too late. He purposefully drove off the roadway just as the driver of the rear car in line did same to not get hit ... which cost him his life. He was very remorseful, from out of state, cried like a baby when I told him driver of car died during rescue attempt as we sat in my car ... he pulled a year. Nice guy, he just screwed up.
                  § 46.2-868. Reckless driving; penalties.

A. Every person convicted of reckless driving under the provisions of this article shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

B. Every person convicted of reckless driving under the provisions of this article who, when he committed the offense, (i) was driving without a valid operator's license due to a suspension or revocation for a moving violation and, (ii) as the sole and proximate result of his reckless driving, caused the death of another, is guilty of a Class 6 felony.
                  § 18.2-10. Punishment for conviction of felony; penalty.

The authorized punishments for conviction of a felony are:
                  ... etc ...
                  (f) For Class 6 felonies, a term of imprisonment of not less than one year nor more than five years, or in the discretion of the jury or the court trying the case without a jury, confinement in jail for not more than 12 months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.
                  "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

I hope you feel the same way about the Cupertino case when the roles were reversed.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=004&sc=170

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyPA View Post
                      I hope you feel the same way about the Cupertino case when the roles were reversed.

Im sorry. Please forgive me for my lack of reading comprehension but, I dont see where the deputy has recieved a punishment in reference to the crime.

Comment

Edited ..... after reading the link .... and while I didn't express a personal opinion in my first post, I can now state that I do feel pretty much the same in reguards to the two cases.

Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 08-01-2008, 12:05 AM.
                        "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

T150vsuptpr and CityCopDC, I just have to tell you both that you are the reason I come here from time to time. Every time I get fired up about a news article involving the police, I come here to see the other point of view before forming an opinion. Your measured responses nearly always make me feel good about the people out there doing the job. Thanks guys!

BTW, I am heading to Georgetown for a meeting this morning, so if you see a big guy with PA plates looking very confused in traffic, please have a heart if I do something boneheaded in traffic, I usually metro it in, but today I am driving into the city for the first time.

Comment

T150vsuptpr and CityCopDC, I just have to tell you both that you are the reason I come here from time to time. Every time I get fired up about a news article involving the police, I come here to see the other point of view before forming an opinion. Your measured responses nearly always make me feel good about the people out there doing the job. Thanks guys!
                            Lets just say Im not the most "popular" forumite when it comes to police wrong doing or being neutral. Lets also just say that some have "implied" that I work for IAD.... I wont say Scratched13's name in this matter though.

Comment

Whats so surprising about no jail time. Unless there's something else involved, he'd probably just get a traffic ticket here. Hell, they rarely put real criminals in jail here.
                              The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3458 users online. 208 members and 3250 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X