300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Male Deputies strip search female

The videos missing is weird and a good sign that something happened that shouldnt have. Also the whole strip search w/o telling her is a little odd. To every 1 side of the story, there is another. Is there any other reports/updates avail? Seems though this story was taken back a couple months (Snow on the ground)

Comment

With all of her screaming and bizarre behavior....my guess was it was a safety cell placement, where all of her clothes are removed for her safety.

A safety cell is a padded cell where the person cannot harm themselves. After their clothes have been removed they are given a modesty garment (big moving type blanket).

That certainly wasn't a strip search. All safety cell placements are videotaped.

The media is making a big deal out of nothing.
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Deputy x2 has it correct. There are cases when this can happen. In smaller jails it unfolds like this:

A female threatens or attempts suicide and must have all bedding, clothing etc removed. Hanging youself by your underwear is a common way to kill yourself in jail.

Female deputies respond. There are not enough of them on duty (small agency, other calls, etc) to control the female arrestee. They then call for assistance from any deputy who can help control a combative prisoner (ie: the male deputies). Obviously, the female deputy will remain the primary officer but males may have to assist, especially in a small agency.

Female deputies have to do this all the time with combative male prisoners, however it doesn't make the news somehow...

When you are fighting and not obeying commands you cannot expect privacy in jail. Act like a decent human being and you will afforded a much privacy as the jail can offer. Act like an idiot and you will be restrained by whatever resources law enforcement has to offer.
        Wis Statute 947.01: Disorderly Conduct - Whoever, in a public or private place, engages in behavior that is violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud, or otherwise acts like a ****ing idiot, is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor.

Comment

Didnt this happen quite a while ago?
          sigpic

Comment

From the video, she looked like a crack head fighting for her life. It was obvious from the video that the male deputies were there simply to hold her down.
            What is Perseverance?
            -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
            -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
            -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by Bronze View Post
              Didnt this happen quite a while ago?
              Yes, and it's been beaten to death here with more than a few threads.
              1*

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                With all of her screaming and bizarre behavior....my guess was it was a safety cell placement, where all of her clothes are removed for her safety.

A safety cell is a padded cell where the person cannot harm themselves. After their clothes have been removed they are given a modesty garment (big moving type blanket).

That certainly wasn't a strip search. All safety cell placements are videotaped.

The media is making a big deal out of nothing.
                +1 totally agree.
                being assaulted by a family member she was already going off. Then she resisted and kept on fighting. She was not being strip searched at all.

its just another person that thinks they can do better then the cops....but they called them.
                ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                Oscar Wilde

Comment

This happend ages ago. What's your point?

Comment

So, if it happened ages ago, what was the outcome?

As for how she was acting in the video, I would be acting the same way if I were being held down against my will and my clothes being ripped off no matter who was doing it or why.

Someone mentioned "Modesty Clothing" given to people who are stripped for their safety, but the newscaster stated that the police admit that she was left NAKED for over 6 hours.
                    http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Hoppes View Post
                      Someone mentioned "Modesty Clothing" given to people who are stripped for their safety, but the newscaster stated that the police admit that she was left NAKED for over 6 hours.
                      She is naked...but has access to the modesty garment.
                      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Curiosity got the better of me.... a google search found this:

Grand jury clears Stark deputies in Hope Steffey case
                        Stephanie Ujhelyi
                        June 19, 2008

By STEPHANIE UJHELYI

The Review

Stark County deputies committed no criminal acts while arresting a Salem woman two years ago.

According to a press release issued by Nancy H. Rogers, Ohio attorney general, a Stark County grand jury did not hand down any indictments after reviewing the evidence presented by the state's Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation Special Prosecution Sections.

Hope Steffey, 48, filed a civil rights lawsuit against the county last year, alleging that deputies assaulted and strip-searched her before leaving her injured and wearing only some toilet paper in a Stark County jail cell Oct. 20-21, 2006.

The lawsuit was filed on Oct. 19, 2007, in the Akron office of the Ohio Northern District Court, where she will be represented by David B. Malik of Cheserton and Dennis J. Niermann of Cleveland. The suit seeks compensatory and consequential damages for all injuries, punitive damages to be determined at trial for the "willful, callous and malicious conduct of Gurlea, attorneys' fees and the cost of this action, and any other relief the court determines."

Defendants in the case are Swanson, Deputy Sheriff Richard T. Gurlea Jr. and one to 15 other "John and Jane Does" employed at the Stark County Jail, and the Stark County commissioners.

The lawsuit charges that Gurlea transported Steffey to the jail for resisting arrest and disorderly conduct, stemming from Steffey's alleged assault at a Paris Township residence. She was convicted after a jury trial in Alliance Municipal Court in June 2007.

According to the lawsuit, Steffey broke a tooth after Gurlea slammed her face into his cruiser and then into the dirt road, resulting in cuts and bruises, while at the scene. It also alleges that no medical assistance was sought for Steffey, who was strip-searched and left naked for six hours in a Stark County Jail cell.

Swanson, in a press release, noted that no wrongdoing was found following a full and complete investigation.

The matter was presented to a grand jury, which determined that no action was warranted, Swanson said. He added this confirms the position of his office that his employees acted properly in their dealings with Steffey. He added his office is confident that the citizens of the community will come to the same conclusion when all the evidence is examined in the proper venue -- a court of law.
                        Strip search? Not hardly - as was stated before the clothing was removed for safety of the detainee. NOT for humiliation of her. If she somehow hung herself with her clothing that department would be sued for that and for not "insuring the safety" of her. At no time is she frisked and at no time does the female officer in the cell "check" body cavities.

The males in the cell are doing their best to protect her dignity while still keeping their own safety in check. The male holding her upper torso is shown several times looking up at the camera, looking in the area of her back or toward her feet. However it's unreasonable to expect that he isn't going to check on the progress and safety of his fellow officers.

As far as her inability to breath I wasn't there, but I'd still like to throw down the BS card on that claim. I am betting that she was hollering her head off just like in the jail cell. News flash for her hubby - if she can draw in breath to holler she can breath.

The no medical assistance thing bothers me a bit, but as long as the injuries weren't life threating (clearly these aren't) responder safety should be considered. She could potentially kick, hit, bite or spit on medical personnel attempting to render aid to her. They shouldn't have to be subject to injury just because she has a few scrapes. The chipped tooth - that needs a dentist not a doctor. Unless the tooth is knocked out I don't see that as a priority either.

Just my civilian 2 pennies - and I guess that the Grand Jury must have seen it the same way.
                        R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
                        I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Hoppes View Post
                          So, if it happened ages ago, what was the outcome?

As for how she was acting in the video, I would be acting the same way if I were being held down against my will and my clothes being ripped off no matter who was doing it or why.
                          I understand what you're saying, but when you reverse engineer things like that they can end up out of context. It's like a man being shot for aiming a gun at the police and firing, then later saying that he had to shoot because the police were trying to kill him.

I'm glad to see that no deputies got charged in this when it was settled in the courtroom without the biased media coverage. I'm sure they're all preparing for the civil rights lawsuit that will be filed now, but when you work in this business you prepare yourself to get sued for doing your job.
                          Wis Statute 947.01: Disorderly Conduct - Whoever, in a public or private place, engages in behavior that is violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud, or otherwise acts like a ****ing idiot, is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor.

Comment

Originally posted by JonesZ
                            What about the deputy that went to the scene, what happened to s/he? Why did the deputy arrest the victim?
                            Sorry, I just choked on my chicken nugget when you said "victim."

Carry on.

Comment

I understand this thread is old but speaking about her having her clothing removed for safety purposes due to suicidal ideation's or suicidal behavior happens all the time in the hospital I work at.

I'm the only security officer on duty at my facility and when a combative female or male patient comes in the door and they are on a (Legal 2000 Hold) psych hold 72 hours, they get their clothes cut off if they are actively resisting or combative.

The are unclothed for a period of time in front of myself and other medical staff and have all possessions removed from them and the room they now occupy. Depending on there reasoning for being at out facility they will either get paper scrubs which tear very easily or they are left unclothed, restrained to the gurney in four points with a blanket or sheet placed over them and are monitored via CCTV.

Even though we are a hospital the scene in that video looks all too familiar and happens from time to time at my work.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4878 users online. 244 members and 4634 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X