300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Department of Justice?

So, I was at a conference the other day and stopped by a both sponsored by the California Department of Justice. They were recruiting for Special Agents.

What are the traditional rolls of Special Agents within the California Department of Justice? Are they police officers who are post certified? Are they equivalent to Federal Special Agents?

What are their traditional duties? They are Law enforcement officers, right?

And....
    Why is this the first time I've heard of them?

Criminal investigators at the state level. Bureau of Narcotics Enforcement works dope, often supervising local multiagency task forces. They have other divisions as well, but I am not familiar with the rest of DOJ.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

In addition to the Bureau of Narcotics Enforcement (BNE), the Department of Justice has agents assigned to investigate terrorist activity and criminal activity allegedly involving state employees. There are DOJ personnel assigned to conduct criminal profiles (much like the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit), but only a few agents are in this detail. DOJ agents are also assigned to the Firearms Unit and I believe they also have investigators assigned out of the Attorney General's Office who investigate major criminal cases that the local PD or County Sheriff's Office refers to them.

There's not a huge number of DOJ Special Agents (compared to say the FBI), but (according to a friend who went to work there) it's a good gig wherever they assign you. DOJ Special Agents are POST certified full time peace officers. Their pay and benefits are good and they are in the CALPers 2% @ 50 plan.
      "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I have several friends who are California DOJ Special Agents. Most of them were local LEOs prior to coming over to DOJ. They enjoy their jobs and get to work with every agency you could imagine. Depending on where you're assigned, you could be working anything from medi-cal fraud to gun cases. I hear the firerams unit is getting more folks, as investigative priorities change with the new AG in place.
        Last edited by SoCalFed; 04-05-2009, 07:20 AM.

Comment

some of the things related to LE side of their house:
          (know a few who work there, they enjoy their jobs very much).

Division of Law Enforcement
          Bureau of Forensic Services
          California Bureau of Investigation
          Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement
          Advanced Training Center
          Professional Standards Unit.
          Facilities Protection & Security Group

Bureau of Firearms
          Enforcement Section
          Purchaser and Employment Eligibility Clearance Section
          Armed and Prohibited Persons Section
          Licensing and Permits Section
          Training, Information and Compliance Section

Bureau of Gambling Control
          Licensing
          Compliance and Enforcement

Division of California Justice Information Services
          Application Development Bureau
          Bureau of Criminal Information and Analysis
          Bureau of Criminal Identification and Information
          Departmental Services Bureau
          Hawkins Data Center Bureau
          Operations Support Bureau
          Infrastructure Support Bureau
          ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
          -- John Wayne

Comment

Hmm, if they are under CalPERS 2% @ 50, why would any local officer under the 3% @ 50 plan switch to DOJ? That would be 30% less retirement if you did 30 years....

Comment

Originally posted by AWarr View Post
              So, I was at a conference the other day and stopped by a both sponsored by the California Department of Justice. They were recruiting for Special Agents.

What are the traditional rolls of Special Agents within the California Department of Justice? Are they police officers who are post certified? Are they equivalent to Federal Special Agents?

What are their traditional duties? They are Law enforcement officers, right?

And....
              Why is this the first time I've heard of them?
              So, let me get this straight, you stopped by the CA DOJ recruitment booth and you failed to obtain any reading material or ask a recruiter just what it is they do? Now, you come into O.com to find out! Okay, here is their website:

http://ag.ca.gov/careers/civil.php

There are a number of positions that are available. Drugs, firearms, Attorney General Investigator, etc. They are fully sworn peace officers for the State of CA. They are totally investigative - just like the FBI.
              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                So, let me get this straight, you stopped by the CA DOJ recruitment booth and you failed to obtain any reading material or ask a recruiter just what it is they do? Now, you come into O.com to find out! Okay, here is their website:

http://ag.ca.gov/careers/civil.php

There are a number of positions that are available. Drugs, firearms, Attorney General Investigator, etc. They are fully sworn peace officers for the State of CA. They are totally investigative - just like the FBI.
                Sorry SgtCHP, this is an old thread that I revived because I was looking up info about CA DOJ today. I was curious what their retirement is, whether it was 3% @ 50 or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronin226 View Post
                  Sorry SgtCHP, this is an old thread that I revived because I was looking up info about CA DOJ today. I was curious what their retirement is, whether it was 3% @ 50 or not.
                  Guess I should have looked at the date! Anyhow, here is the link to their retirement and benefits:

http://www.dpa.ca.gov/benefits/index.htm

I don't think they have gotten the 3% @ 50 as yet; but, it is certainly in their future. Again, it is a negotiable item under collective bargaining.
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9445 users online. 477 members and 8968 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X