• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your opinion on this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntyQVy3yWIM

Um, pull it the hell over
    sigpic
    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

Oh come on, she sued the department, had she not sued the department for nothing, she would've had no problems.

Comment

That's what you get for listening to the media.

You feel bad for the little old lady having a weapon pointed at her? Look up the video of Texas Trooper Vetter. He was killed in 2002 by a 72 year old man after pulling him over for not wearing a seat belt.

Comment

Oh come on, she sued the department, had she not sued the department for nothing, she would've had no problems.
          If that's true, it's official misconduct. You're not supposed to make a traffic stop on someone as punishment for his having excercised his Constitutionally protected right to petition the Government for redress of grievances.

Obviously the video doesn't show the complete evidence available to the jury, and I don't know whether the jury saw any of the police video, or whether there's more content of it that the jury did or did not see.

What I saw on the police video portion of the video indicates no improper action by the police, but it doesn't by itself show beyond a reasonable doubt that the woman was guilty of the crimes the reporter part of the video says she was convicted of.

Comment

Speaking as a woman who once upon a time lived in an area where a state trooper pulled women over who were alone and raped them, I probably would have done the same thing.

One community I lived in (not here) there was a rule that unmarked cars could not make traffic stops due to criminals having dashboard police lights and pulling people over.

The one time I was "chased" for speeding, I had my 4-ways on, a cop saw me speeding, had lights and sirens, I stuck my hand out the window, waved, and kept going right to the door to the ER and rushed my daughter inside.

Cop pulled up behind me, looked at what was happening, and left.
            http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
              If that's true, it's official misconduct. You're not supposed to make a traffic stop on someone as punishment for his having excercised his Constitutionally protected right to petition the Government for redress of grievances.

Obviously the video doesn't show the complete evidence available to the jury, and I don't know whether the jury saw any of the police video, or whether there's more content of it that the jury did or did not see.

What I saw on the police video portion of the video indicates no improper action by the police, but it doesn't by itself show beyond a reasonable doubt that the woman was guilty of the crimes the reporter part of the video says she was convicted of.

Sorry, I should've been more clear.

What probably happened (I'm assuming, with the little information we have) is that the laws are written and police officers enforce them accordingly with some gray area. She and some lawyer thought they could sue the department because she was an old lady and win a lot of money, after that the department thought well in that case, we'll enforce the law to the books.

Comment

She says during the video "He knew that I was no threat"....

How did he know that??? A car that does not yield immediately in the middle of the night and then wont roll down the window when you approach?

It is easy to look at things in rewind with the sweet little grandma sitting there who was just scared and so nervous she cant find the window button. We know that now...

But we have to make a judgement on the roadside... We are always going to act in a way that keeps us as safe and control a situation... Unfortunately, We dont live in a society where police can trust people or let guard down based on what they think they know... thats how we get hurt...

That being said, this may contradict myself.... But

NOW that we do know all the facts... seems like an older person who was just nervous and scared. From what I saw I think it is obvious she did not have the intent to " elude" ...

If I was the officer based only on what I have seen... I would have given her a ticket for not yielding to an emergency vehicle, then gave her some advice about how to properly respond when police are stopping you... IE call 9-1-1 to verify it is a police officer... look for police markings etc...

Did she break a law by not pulling over right away? Maybe.. but I can kind of see her point... I have seen some agencies on COPS that have drug officers in unmarked cars pull people over... then get out wearing a vest that says sherriff and blue jeans...

Would I want my loved one to make sure they were cops... you bet...

But giving people just the leway to always not stop when lights are behind them sets a dangerous precedent....
                Retired 02/01/13

Comment

I actually had something similar to this happen to me. I went to pull over an elderly lady, 70ish, and it was very likely she was only going to get a warning/contact ticket from me. When I approached the drivers side window, she would not open her window for me to talk to her. She just sat there. I could barely hear her talking, but she stated she didn't know if I was a real cop or not. After about 10 minutes she cracked the window only enough to slide out her license. I told her I was the "real" police and I would prove it to her when I come back in a few minutes with a summons to court, so she can verify in front of a judge.

When in court she said "where she comes from...." they have a lot of impersonators and she was not "sure". The judge told her that the difference between a fake cop and a real cop is that the fake ones don't give you a summons to appear in a REAL court. Guilty, step over there to pay your fine.
                  I am a Native American of non-Indian decent.

Cleaning the pool, one gene at a time.

I'm on a 30 day diet. So far I've lost 15 days!

Comment

I didn't see anything about her suing the department...it's an incredible story the way the press presents it, so one can only wonder what is being left out in order to make a "good story."

I know of at least two cases in which officers stopped women in isolated areas and murdered them...all the departments put out word exactly as it is on the film--"if unsure," drive to a well lit, populated area, four way flashers, reduced speed, etc. If one can believe the film, she did what we say people should do. The "unsure" part might be the difference, here--a car lit up like Star Wars is hard to question.

At least the lawyers own her house and car, now, bless their hearts.
                    http://www.badgeoflife.com/

Comment

Apparently the court thought she was guilty and she ran through all of her appeals. They thought it was good. I am surprised she got ten days. I'm guessing she is just one of those people who can never admit they messed up. It is always someone elses fault etc, etc, yada, yada, yada.
                      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5141 users online. 286 members and 4855 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X