300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Theft

Anybody seeing this becoming a bigger problem? I'm not talking about stealing it from the gas station or even trying to get it out of car gas tanks.

We've had our gas can for our lawn mower taken twice in the last couple of weeks. The first time my parents had gone out of town and my brother and I didn't even realize it was gone until he ran out mowing the grass. It had less than a gallon of gas in it! My dad went and bought a new can and filled it with 5 gallons. He came into my room last night around midnight when they got home from a party. He told me it had been taken. It's definitely frustrating. I saw today he bought a new one (needed to mow) and it's a pretty small one.

We use to keep the gas can next to the mower on our carport. Now he has put the gas can into our shed in the backyard. I don't know where to really put it?

He told me our neighbor suggested that he buy two gas cans. Fill one with gasoline and fill the other with deisal (sp?). The logic being that it would mess up one's engine. Would water also mess up an engine because as we know that'd be MUCH cheaper?

Sorry for being so long.. just throwing some thoughts out..

Gas theft)s) of the type you're describing are certainly becoming more of a problem. Leaving gas unsecured in a carport only makes the thief's efforts a little easier. While there's no such thing as perfect security, lock your gas cans in a shed or similar secure place. At least make things a little difficult for the potential thief.

Comment

Actually gas theft such as driveoffs have gone down here. I'm guessing its more from pre pay at the pumps and people buying locking caps than anything else.
      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

I think its about the same here...maybe a little higher, but as stated before its the pre pay thing that stops alot of it.

we have had two tankers stolen in the south part of Harris county tho. how they plan to use the gas from the rig is beyond me!
        ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
        Oscar Wilde

Comment

People are syphering them from gas tanks is becoming popular in major cities I heard.

Comment

Here in California's beautiful central valley, what I have heard of thieves doing, though I haven't seen it for myself is this: Since many gas tanks on newer vehicles are plastic, they slide under with a power drill and drill a 3/4" hole in the tank and quickly fill up can or drain pan, then run away leaving the rest of your gas running out on the street. It would be a real B because the thief steals 5 gallons or so but it costs you your whole tank and destroys your fuel tank, which isn't cheap to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              Here in California's beautiful central valley, what I have heard of thieves doing, though I haven't seen it for myself is this: Since many gas tanks on newer vehicles are plastic, they slide under with a power drill and drill a 3/4" hole in the tank and quickly fill up can or drain pan, then run away leaving the rest of your gas running out on the street. It would be a real B because the thief steals 5 gallons or so but it costs you your whole tank and destroys your fuel tank, which isn't cheap to replace.
              Thatll be popular until the arc from the electric motor catches the fumes, and you end up with a crispy car and would-be thief. Sounds hard to believe though. Im pretty sure tanks are steel with a plastic liner to help prevent ruptures, etc.

I havent heard or seen much of anything around here. Then again, gas just went back down, its at $3.91 as of 10 min ago.
              "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
              Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
              Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharp View Post
                Im pretty sure tanks are steel with a plastic liner to help prevent ruptures, etc.
                You'd be surprised how many plastic ones there are, though some have skid plates on the bottom for protection. I've been a mechanic for 12 years, I've performed repairs/replacement on lots of plastic fuel tanks.
                Last edited by The Dude; 07-27-2008, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeybomb View Post
                  Actually gas theft such as driveoffs have gone down here. I'm guessing its more from pre pay at the pumps and people buying locking caps than anything else.
                  Drive offs??? Here in Cali it has been prepay as long as I can remember. Don't waste your time with a locking gas cap. Back when we had the last gas crunch...all of the patrol cars had locking gas caps. If you know cops...the keys were lost...so you had to break off the locking cap..which was done by continuing to turn it counterclockwise. So save the 30 bucks to fill 1/2 of your tank.
                  This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Do you think mighty putty would work on the hole in the gas tank?

Honestly, I think I'd cry if that happened to me. As it is, I hate filling up my tank, because (and I'm aware my imagination tends to run amok) I'm afraid someone is going to follow me home & then syphon out my newly filled tank.
                    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      You'd be surprised how many plastic ones there are, though some have skid plates on the bottom for protection. I've been a mechanic for 12 years, I've performed repairs/replacement on lots of plastic fuel tanks.
                      No kidding eh? That doesnt seem all that safe to me, but I stand corrected.
                      "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
                      Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
                      Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharp View Post
                        No kidding eh? That doesnt seem all that safe to me, but I stand corrected.
                        Not all of them by any means, but many. The plastic tanks are actually pretty good in a crash though because they tend to flex more without tearing open.

Regards,

Dude

Comment

Couple accused in theft of gas
                          The Associated Press
                          June 29, 2008
                          Marion County sheriff's officials say they tracked down a couple accused of drilling holes in gas tanks to steal gas because a power drill with the man's name on it was left at the scene of the last case. John Oldenburg and Darlene Kimbriel are facing charges that include grand theft, burglary of a conveyance and criminal mischief, according to records. Authorities said they found a drill etched with "J. Oldenburg" at the last case. The cases involved the theft of gas and tools.

Another story,

http://www.local6.com/news/15964636/detail.html

There was one about some guys running around with a makeshift container in a modified truck but I couldnt find it.

Comment

Someone here recently tried siphoning gas out of my buddies Fourwheeler which was parked next to his martial arts dojo. He was still there when he arrived and tried taking off on his own ATV. A "vascular restraint" quickly brought him to a hault. The state troopers came and got him shortly after.

We've also been getting calls about gas cans being stolen out of the back of pickups, and even one case where a guy died while siphoning gas.

Comment

We've had a surge of people siponing gas out of government (city/state) vehicles here as well as several gas trucks (semis!) stolen...
                              1*

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5549 users online. 307 members and 5242 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X