300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning SHots

Are there any or many departments out there that their use of force policy allows warning shots in certain situations?? I thought that this went out in the 70's. Any information on either this topic or your department's stand would be appreciated...Thanks...

We are allowed to use warning shots ONLY if we are also justified in using deadly force at the time......and you will have a LOT of articulating to do.....
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Probably be better off saying you accidentally pulled your muzzle down.
      -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

Iowa Dept of Corrections policy allows us only to fire ,as trained ,"to disable the fleeing felon". We train to aim for center mass......if you get my meaning?
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          Iowa Dept of Corrections policy allows us only to fire ,as trained ,"to disable the fleeing felon". We train to aim for center mass......if you get my meaning?
          Sounds like a warning shot to me - a warning shot for the other fleeing felons to stop and lay down or face the same consequences.

Comment

The agency I retired from prohibited warning shots for more than 30 years and still does.
            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Warning shots and "shoot to disable" have never been a part of LE practices since my entry into the business in the late 50s. If pulling the trigger becomes necessary it has always been center mass targeting!
              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

My Nor Cal Probation Department encourages warning shots. We call them failure drills. Two in the 10x...there's the warning...if the dirtbag doesn't get it...one to the head. Kidding aside, no, I've never heard of any LE agency approving warning shots. We're trained to stop the threat by shooting center mass.

Comment

I'll never use warning shots. The "warning" is the time it takes between trigger pull and impact.

My department also doesn't train for center mass, which surprised me when I went to qualify. Strictly head shots.
                  sigpic

Comment

We used warning shots when I was in Iraq in 2003; they were part of the ROE then, although I would imagine that's changed by now.

As to civilian law enforcement, HELL NO! Always remember the two most feared words in law enforcement: Civil Liability.
                    MAC

Comment

Originally posted by Guams View Post
                      I'll never use warning shots. The "warning" is the time it takes between trigger pull and impact.

My department also doesn't train for center mass, which surprised me when I went to qualify. Strictly head shots.
                      What?!?!?! Your dep't is training you for failure then. Yes, a cranial vault shot is going to incapacitate a suspect faster, BUT, it's exponentially harder to make a cranial vault shot on a moving target, especially if it's shooting back at you or any further away than 10-15 yards. Center mass shots are far easier to make, you are more likely to hit center mass b/c it's a much larger area.

Please tell me that you meant to say that you incorporate head shots ino your SQC but that you don't forego the center mass shots. If not they are taking on a great deal of liabilty should you miss hitting that grape and God forbid hit someone else in the background.
                      Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Originally posted by Narco944 View Post
                        What?!?!?! Your dep't is training you for failure then. Yes, a cranial vault shot is going to incapacitate a suspect faster, BUT, it's exponentially harder to make a cranial vault shot on a moving target, especially if it's shooting back at you or any further away than 10-15 yards. Center mass shots are far easier to make, you are more likely to hit center mass b/c it's a much larger area.

Please tell me that you meant to say that you incorporate head shots ino your SQC but that you don't forego the center mass shots. If not they are taking on a great deal of liabilty should you miss hitting that grape and God forbid hit someone else in the background.
                        Narco speaks the truth. And I fully agree with him. Why any dept would train you to only shoot for the head....is beyond me. Try hitting someones head 15 yards away who is doing the "Icky Shuffle" vs hitting them in the torso. HUGE difference...

Comment

Icky Shuffle...lol
                          Guam, you just got hired on didn't you? Are you sure what you said was corrrect and maybe they weren't just running you through some basic drills to test your marksmanship? I honestly can't see a dept wide, head shot only SQC. We don't even do that on SWAT.
                          Last edited by Narco; 07-24-2008, 10:59 AM.
                          Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Originally posted by Narco944 View Post
                            Icky Shuffle...lol
                            Guam, you just got hired on didn't you? are you sure what you said was corrrect and maybe they weren't just running you through some basic drills to test your marksmanship? I honestly can't see a dept wide, head shot only SQC. We don't even do that on SWAT.
                            Yep, I can't imagine any LE agency training for head shots only. Hell, I have a tough enough time during failure drills trying to make an effective head shot with appropriate penetration angle...and that's shooting at still paper from 7 or 15 yds...the only stress being the anticipation of the "threat" command from our Firearms Instructor. I can place a few in the cranium if I take my time and get a good sight picture...but who the hell is going to have that luxury when the crap hits the fan? Center mass, eyes always on the threat, and hopefully our rounds our delivered first.

Comment

I'd avoid using warning shots, prefer the bean bag shotgun to take down the running SOBs.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6320 users online. 331 members and 5989 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X