Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets wake up...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lets wake up...

    I see a disturbing trend here on o.com of unnecessary references to race and sometimes those cross the line into blatant racism but in the interests of politeness no one speaks up. I am also guilty as I don't want to get into clashes with other members here and that includes some of the most prolific posters. But read the article that the text below links to and wake up.

    "So many parents told me of sitting down with their sons starting at 12 years old to tell them what to do if pulled over by the police so as not to get shot. I don't imagine many white parents even think such a conversation is necessary with their teenage sons."

  • #2
    So if a robbery suspect fits a certain general description (b/m, wearing baggy blue jeans pants and a white t-shirt, etc) ...... police should stop and detain w/f elderly women wearing mu-mu's in the interests of political correctness???????
    Space for rent .........

    Comment


    • #3
      My parents never had that conversation with me. Perhaps that is because my parents didn't believe that the police were out to get them. They didn't have that fear of authority. The taught me to respect authority. Why would they worry about me being shot by the police? They were more worried about me being shot by other black people.

      Looking at statistics, it is idiotic that a lot of people fear the police will shoot them. There is a better chance of being hit by lightening than being shot by the police, especially if you are law abiding.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.


      BOP - BPA - ICE

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
        My parents never had that conversation with me. Perhaps that is because my parents didn't believe that the police were out to get them. They didn't have that fear of authority. The taught me to respect authority. Why would they worry about me being shot by the police? They were more worried about me being shot by other black people.

        Looking at statistics, it is idiotic that a lot of people fear the police will shoot them. There is a better chance of being hit by lightening than being shot by the police, especially if you are law abiding.
        Aaaahhhhhh, but if you are NOT law abiding ------ and you are a street thug, deal drugs and carry guns ......
        Space for rent .........

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm white, I'm male, and my parents DID have that conversation with me. They told me to respect the police, comply with the police, and obey their orders. Did it work? Well, I never ran, resisted, displayed a weapon, or assaulted an officer. So I guess so. Moreso, it was MY COMMON SENSE that kept the police from kicking my butt.

          There are just as many white people who go through the same crap as black people involving the police. White people get detained at stores, too. White people get shot by cops, white people get beat by the police, white people shoplift, white people burglarize, white people rob, white people... blah blah blah. Now, I'm not looking to sound racist with this next comment, and if I do, I apologize in advance. But... it seems that black people are the ones who cry wolf more often. Why can't everyone get it through their heads that... IT'S NOT THE COLOR OF YOUR SKIN THAT GETS YOU IN TROUBLE! It's YOU, acting like a moron, that gets you in trouble.

          As far as what's in the article... why should the police have to apologize to these girls? It was the mall ninja's that called them. The officers were simply doing their job. These girls shouldn't be laying any of the blame on the officers... just on mall security. IMO...
          Last edited by Guams; 07-23-2008, 07:54 PM.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by cmr164 View Post
            I see a disturbing trend here on o.com of unnecessary references to race and sometimes those cross the line into blatant racism but in the interests of politeness no one speaks up. I am also guilty as I don't want to get into clashes with other members here and that includes some of the most prolific posters. But read the article that the text below links to and wake up.

            I was going to write a long carefully worded response. Then I said to myself... hmmm.. who exactly am I replying to. That would make a diffrence. So I looked at your profile.

            Then I thought hmmmm..... Maybe I should read the WHOLE article. So I did.

            After sonsidering all the facts I realised that more than likely it's not a race issue at all....

            Most likely: There was "a gang of shoplifters in the store." and the females in question were a part of it. Thier lookout told them that they'd been busted and by the time "she and her friends were detained by six Gwinnett County, Georgia, police officers for "about an hour and a half" at the entrance of an Old Navy store, owned by Gap," they had ditched the merchendise or the other two accomplices had escaped.
            So "No one -- not the police (they didn't even initiate the call, why are they getting the blame anyway???), not the store managers -- bothered to apologize."


            So there. Heck even assuming they were innocent. They were held an hour and a half, that proably means they were actually held an hour and 15 minutes... the Police finally showed up and quickly determined that either A: no crime had been comitted or B: there wasn't enough evidence that a crime had been comitted.


            Here would be a better and more accurate article: Three chicks were detained by store security. It took a while for the short staffed police to respond to a petty theft case because they were tied up on serious calls. Thankfully once they arrived they quickly determined that nobody had anything (stolen goods or a criminal case). They told the loss prevention guys to cut them loose.. see you next time.

            Sue the Gap if you want to but quit blaming the Police for everything.

            And there's a big diffrence to mentioning race and being racist. Everyone else needs to wake up the Police have it covered 24/7.


            (I guess it did turn out a little long after all)

            By the way, If anybody has to sit their kids down at 12 to tell them how to keep from getting shot by the police they have seriously screwed up the first 11 years of that kids life. The police aren't the problem, neither is race. Mom and Dad are the source.
            Last edited by 10-31Mike; 07-23-2008, 09:06 PM.
            "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

            By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 10-31Mike View Post
              By the way, If anybody has to sit their kids down at 12 to tell them how to keep from getting shot by the police they have seriously screwed up the first 11 years of that kids life. The police aren't the problem, neither is race. Mom and Dad are the source.
              The first 11 years of my life weren't screwed up...

              My parents gave "the talk" like a parent would give the "birds and the bees" talk. It was informative and educational. They taught me the basic stuff... keep your hands in view, answer honestly, say "sir" or "ma'am," etc. It was more of a lesson on RESPECT, rather than procedure. It also hinted at "this way the police know you don't have any weapons.." aka... "not getting shot by the police."

              Surely a child can't be expected to know HOW to act when met by the police. Growing kids learn mostly from their parents... so the parents are a good source of information. That is... IF the parents are on the right track themselves.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Guams View Post
                The first 11 years of my life weren't screwed up...

                My parents gave "the talk" like a parent would give the "birds and the bees" talk. It was informative and educational. They taught me the basic stuff... keep your hands in view, answer honestly, say "sir" or "ma'am," etc. It was more of a lesson on RESPECT, rather than procedure. It also hinted at "this way the police know you don't have any weapons.." aka... "not getting shot by the police."

                Surely a child can't be expected to know HOW to act when met by the police. Growing kids learn mostly from their parents... so the parents are a good source of information. That is... IF the parents are on the right track themselves.

                Oh come on you know what I mean. I was on your side.

                I just didn't read you post.
                "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

                By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 10-31Mike View Post
                  Oh come on you know what I mean. I was on your side.

                  I just didn't read you post.
                  Aye... I must have interpreted it incorrectly then...

                  Oh well... it adds to the conversation.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I do not see an unnecessary reference to race on o.com.

                    I also don't see the point of linking that statement to this article. THe article ends with "Wells has decided to not only get mad but get active, writing and talking about what happened to her and her friends on a day they just set out to do some shopping." Why is Wells making this a race thing? They were shopping. Mall security called, police responded. Why is that a black thing? Who knows. THe article certainly doesn't explain it. They are mad no one apologized. Okay. Would it still be a racial thing if someone had apologized or if the whole process had been faster.

                    Personally, I'm sick and tired of EVERYTHING in this country coming down to race. Especially this day and age. For Christ Sake the majority of people in our city (with a 48, 52 split) that are caught shoplifting are young white girls.

                    In an effort to be so PC, this country is making a big deal out of very little.
                    sigpic

                    I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Guams View Post
                      Aye... I must have interpreted it incorrectly then...

                      Oh well... it adds to the conversation.
                      No problem.

                      Now what was that "birds and bees" thing you were talking about? I didn't get that one. (I did get a "don't hit the wasp nest with a stick! what are you stupid?!" talk, but you know kids.. I just have to try it)
                      "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

                      By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                        I do not see an unnecessary reference to race on o.com.

                        I also don't see the point of linking that statement to this article. THe article ends with "Wells has decided to not only get mad but get active, writing and talking about what happened to her and her friends on a day they just set out to do some shopping." Why is Wells making this a race thing? They were shopping. Mall security called, police responded. Why is that a black thing? Who knows. THe article certainly doesn't explain it. They are mad no one apologized. Okay. Would it still be a racial thing if someone had apologized or if the whole process had been faster.

                        Personally, I'm sick and tired of EVERYTHING in this country coming down to race. Especially this day and age. For Christ Sake the majority of people in our city (with a 48, 52 split) that are caught shoplifting are young white girls.

                        In an effort to be so PC, this country is making a big deal out of very little.
                        To some people, everything is a race issue. If you are detained by mall security, it's because you are black. If you are pulled over for speeding, it's because you are black. If you don't get that promotion at work, it's because you are black. I myself have been guilty of this mentality before.
                        What is Perseverance?
                        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.


                        BOP - BPA - ICE

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                          To some people, everything is a race issue. If you are detained by mall security, it's because you are black. If you are pulled over for speeding, it's because you are black. If you don't get that promotion at work, it's because you are black. I myself have been guilty of this mentality before.

                          I tell you what Grandmama tells me (not specifically about race)...you see what you want to see. If one gets in the habit of seeing something a specific way, then that's all you're going to see.

                          Race is made a big issue, IMHO, to cover up much large societial issues. If people continue to worry and fuss over race, they don't have to confront the real issues.
                          sigpic

                          I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by cmr164 View Post
                            I see a disturbing trend here on o.com of unnecessary references to race and sometimes those cross the line into blatant racism but in the interests of politeness no one speaks up. I am also guilty as I don't want to get into clashes with other members here and that includes some of the most prolific posters. But read the article that the text below links to and wake up.

                            "So many parents told me of sitting down with their sons starting at 12 years old to tell them what to do if pulled over by the police so as not to get shot. I don't imagine many white parents even think such a conversation is necessary with their teenage sons."

                            My parents didn't have that talk with me. I guess it was because they made me wait until I was 16 to drive.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I remember my Dad telling me that if an LEO told me to "HALT" and I fled, that he/she could shoot me. I was born in 1964, and I was born with VERY light colored skin :-).

                              In rhode Island where/when Dad grew up if you tried to outrun the LE in your car they could shoot at you, dad was born in 1940.

                              We also had a close family friend who had worked WITH the FBI in the Hoover years, and he told me that FBI agents are trained to shoot anybody holding a gun when they make a dynamic entry into a room.

                              So I guess I had some information from an early age about the issue, there was none of this "put your hands on the wheel in plain sight at all times during the stop" stuff. Being polite and respectful was pretty much just common sense I would think ??

                              Bill
                              Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4092 users online. 207 members and 3885 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X