300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bomb Falls Out Of Man’s Backpack During With Fight Officer

Baltimore police say a bomb fell out of a man’s backpack as he fought with a University of Maryland, Baltimore officer.

City police spokesman Sterling Clifford says the university police officer stopped the man in the 800 block of West Baltimore Street about 7:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Clifford says the man was acting like he was trying to hide a weapon before the officer began to search him. Then, police say the man began to fight the officer and a small bomb fell out of the man’s backpack.

Clifford says the bomb wouldn’t have done serious damage but wouldn’t offer more details about it.

According to Clifford, the university will file assault charges and the city will charge him with possessing a bomb. Police haven’t released the man’s identity.

From The Baltimore Sun

A man who was stopped Tuesday morning and questioned by a police officer near the University of Maryland’s Baltimore campus was arrested after a makeshift explosive device fell from his knapsack when he fought with the officer, authorities said.

The man was being questioned by detectives, and charges had not been filed Tuesday evening. His name was not released.

Sterling Clifford, a Baltimore police spokesman, said the man was stopped by the university officer in the 800 block of W. Baltimore St. about 7:30 a.m. “The man was clutching his side as if he was trying to conceal a weapon,” Clifford said.

The university officer told the man that he was going to search him, and Clifford said the man fought back. During the scuffle, Clifford said, the man’s backpack fell to the pavement and “a small explosive device fell out.”
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance.

I can imagine the cop seeing that fall out of the pack and thinking "Hoooooly cow!", or some more colorful variation on that.

Question. As I understand it this would have been a Terry stop. Would the cop have been able to search the pack if the guy hadn't resisted?

Comment

I bet the officer dropped a bomb of his own!

Sorry, it was just too easy
      The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
      George Carlin

Comment

I am thinking firecracker.

Comment

Originally posted by velobard View Post
          Question. As I understand it this would have been a Terry stop. Would the cop have been able to search the pack if the guy hadn't resisted?
          According to case law the officer could have "frisked" the backpack the same way as a purse. The officer could have opened the bag and simply looked and possibly moved large items out of the way. But not open small pouches inside or any thing else that could have not been articulated to carry a weapon. So to answer the question, yes he could have looked in the bag

Comment

velobard,

I just went through a class put on by the ATF concerning identifying concealed weapons on suspects, and IIRC, they said there is some case law out of Boston now, that a "tap and turn" is enough PC to search someone, the logic behind it being that constant fidgeting/touching/fixing something under your clothing, and the instinctive blading away the side of your body a weapon is concealed on, is enough to reason to search. I'll try to find the case that this is based on.

Comment

Well that's a GREAT way to get shot here in STL.....

Comment

Originally posted by ExplorerE321 View Post
                Well that's a GREAT way to get shot here in STL.....
                Thats a GREAT way to get shot in Baltimore. I have to admit. I might need a uniform change after that one.
                Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6494 users online. 354 members and 6140 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X