Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of sick world do we live in?

I was watching the late new last night and
    on it was a story how this one woman was
    on a bridge in Seattle, Wa, and was
    considering jumping to her death. I can't
    possibly fathom what would make a person
    consider suicide. Things can get rough,
    but suicide is never the answer.

The sad part is, some motorists were telling
    her to jump. I just can't believe our
    society has gone so far down the toilet
    that there are people trying to get this
    poor soul to kill herself. This lady was
    obviously in distress, what happened to
    helping each other? Is our society this
    sick and disgusting now. Well, obviously
    so.

I don't really think times change that much. Think back to the times when people would show up to a public hanging, or the burning of a witch, for fun.

Really, many people don't have a lot of empathy for others. It's something they've never developed.
    [email protected] "Where there is love, there is no imposition"- Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHighwayMan:

The sad part is, some motorists were telling
      her to jump.
      They were probably off duty cops. Heartless as it may be I often wish some of these suicidal people would get it right the first time. It gets really old going to their house all the time for yet another suicide threat or attempt.

Comment

You are right connor....that is heartless.

I'm sure if those people only realized how boring they are making your job that they would try harder to get it right.

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: goodgirl ]
        "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program" ~George W. Bush, November 2, 2000

Comment

Back in the 12th-15th century public executions were made into a holiday of sorts. People from around the country side would bring their kids to enjoy the spetecle of the execution. Many would bring their rotting veggies to throw at the condemned as they were led up to the town square. IT was considered a point of bragging if your veggie struck the condemned in the face. Venders would be selling their wares and foods as the time came near. Seeing how people were in ancient times I would say that people egging on a jumper is nothing new. How many while in high school egged a person into doing something foolish. All we are doing is carring on a old tradition that has been ingrained into us by our forefathers from times past. Granted there are some who believe in trying to help a lost soul but a majority of people nowadays would egg the person into doing something foolish as most of us has done in the past.

Klar
          Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

connor, that was a pretty heartless thing to say. If you just knew what deep emotional pain these people are in, you'd feel very bad for what you just said. They are going through emotional HELL, believe me. I've had times where the emotional pain was so bad, suicide sounded pretty good to me. SOmething always stopped me but when people DO commit suicide, or try to, they see it as the only way out and the only way to relieve a horrible pain.

Comment

she was only there because she wanted attention. if she really wanted to commit suicide, she would have been at home with a gun in her mouth...but she chose to climb a busy bridge in the middle of the day where there would be plenty of people to see and possibly stop her.

Comment

"she was only there because she wanted attention. if she really wanted to commit suicide, she would have been at home with a gun in her mouth...but she chose to climb a busy bridge in the middle of the day where there would be plenty of people to see and possibly stop her."

Even if this was the case imagine the point she had to be at that she thought this was the only way to get attention. Imagine the pain she had to be in and the thoughts running through her head as she stood there.

She had to know that she was opening herself up to humiliation and to an already depressed person that just might be enough to make her jump. To then hear that even complete strangers think she should do it at a point where she is just a step away from killing herself is the ultimate insult.

I have never understood the dismissal of a susicide attempt as "it was just a cry for attention". If it is just a cry for attention then it is a pretty [email protected] loud one.

There are a lot of fine people out there that have tried suicide at least once and quite a few that have tried it a few times. Many of these people that should "just get it right the first time" are teenagers.

I can understand a certain detachment in these situations when having to deal with it on a regular basis. I can't however stand by when I think of the people I know that I am really thankful didn't get it right the first time. I also can't just stand by and say nothing when I think of some of the things said here and relate it to a woman I thought I knew well that did get it right the first time.

If you have never been in the position where you just wanted the pain to end to the point that you would do anything to make it stop then be grateful.

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: goodgirl ]
                "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program" ~George W. Bush, November 2, 2000

Comment

Oh, well then
                  My respect, admiration and gratitude to all those who Protect and Serve. - Citizen

Comment

When I thought I was going to lose my son, I was also dealing with my very abusive mother, a husband who was in denial and a very painful medical problem. I remember a few times, thinking about ending it. To people who try to commit suicide, it seems like the ONLY way to end the constant emotional pain they are in.
                    When my best friend DID lose her son, we took turns sitting up with her around the clock because we thought she would try to commit suicide. She was in that much pain.
                    Connor's comment really DID bother me. What, if I try to commit suicide, you gonna come out there and show me just WHERE to point my gun so I don't complicate your day anymore?
                    And 10-13, she wanted someone to STOP her, not attention. Suicide is a cry for help! ggeezzzz

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: Mitzi ]

Comment

YEs Siucide is a cry for help. I have stopped several and have seen several who did not want anyone to stop them. It all comes down to this (in my opinion) IF the person wants help they are going to go somewhere or call someone to reach out for that help. IF the person is tired of the anguish they will go to a private area and be alone. These are the ones who do not miss. These are also the ones that need the most help. It is hard to tell who they are because they keep it all bottled up in them. Outside to others they will appear normal and even happy. It is when they are by theirselves that they let the guard down and if your lucky enough you will see the private heck they are in. They will hide it for as long as they can stand it then one day they will end it all. I think if one is wise they can see the pain in that persons eyes and try to help them. If noone can see that pain then soon that person will no longer be around for the pain to hurt them anymore.

Klar
                      Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

mitzi: people who attempt suicide do not want to be stopped, they want to die, these are the ones who will do it ALONE. they will do something like putting a gun in their mouth. then you have those people that "pretend" to want to commit suicide, those are the ones that want to be stopped, those are the ones that want attention. they will usually do something "less drastic" such as swallow pills, or threatn to jump or do something where there is a very good chance someone will intervene. the bottom line is that if you really want to be dead, you will be dead. otherwise you are just doing it to get attention. this is where i dont symathize with her (the jumper), there are plenty of ways to get attention, she could have sought the help of friends, she could have tried a suicide counsellor etc..., but she chose to tie up traffic with her inability to cope with her boyfriend problems.

either way, the person is obviously a few beers short of a 6 pack and needs help. forgive me, im not trying to be a "cold" person, i just like to be blunt when i talk.

Comment

"but she chose to tie up traffic with her inability to cope with her boyfriend problems."

This is the single most insulting sentence I have ever heard. In one sentence you completely dismiss this woman's suicide attempt as a traffic problem and her problems as merely "boyfriend problems." You deliberately used the most belittling language possible to casually dismiss a woman that you know nothing about.

You have no idea what her problems are. You have no idea if she had sought help from a counselor or other ways and yet you feel free to pass judgement on her actions because she tied up traffic.

I have been trying very hard to keep my cool here but I honestly can't believe the things I am reading.

It is not always a matter of those that really want to die will use a gun and those that just want attention will use pills. There are different reasons why people choose different methods of suicide and to think you have all of the answers about this woman's situation based on the way she chose to go about it is ridiculous.

Women tend to use the pill or "less drastic" means of suicide while men tend to choose more violent means such as a gun. That is only one of the many difference in suicide statistics. It has nothing to do with whether or not they are just seeking attention.

Honestly! You have reduced this entire woman's existence to that of a spoiled attention hungry female that is having boyfriend problems so she is so selfish that she doesn't care if she ties up traffic and causes more paperwork.

Did you miss the part where she was standing on a bridge a step away from jumping off and ending her life???!!

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: goodgirl ]

Comment

10-13,

You are making a huge assumption here. Although, many times suicide is a call for help, that does not mean it is a conscious cry. I, for one, do not believe that a person in that situation just sits there and thinks, "Gee I'll try to kill myself so that people will pay attention to me." the issue is much more complex than that.

Often times people who are in emotional pain do not realize that they can do something to alleviate that pain. So, they attempt suicide to stop it. By saying they could just go and talk you MAY be belittling their situation.
                            My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it is gone.

Comment

I wonder if connor and 10-13 would feel the same way if that were their daughter up there. Would they want someone to tell her to jump? How would that make them feel to know others wanted her to jump? Would her obvious call for help be nothing more than just a traffic tie-up or someone who was having boyfriend problems? Would she still be just an attention seeker?

Makes a person wonder how someone else could show such lack of compassion for another human being.

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: kateykakes ]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3906 users online. 254 members and 3652 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X