• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackwater security division...no more

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...YsGtwD922F7300

Blackwater plans shift from security business

6 hours ago

MOYOCK, N.C. (AP) — Contractor Blackwater Worldwide plans a shift away from the private security business that brought it unwelcome attention following a deadly shooting in Baghdad last year.

Executives told The Associated Press Monday that the negative media coverage and intense government scrutiny has made the cost of doing business too high. They say the company has unfairly come to symbolize all Iraq contractors and thus is a flash point for those opposed to the war.

Blackwater contractors are under investigation for their involvement in a shooting in Baghdad in September that left 17 Iraqis dead.

Regardless of the outcome of that case, Blackwater executives say the company will survive with a focus on international training, aviation and construction.
    My guess would have to be after that fairly public incident in baghdad insurance costs must have skyrocketed for them, thus making it unprofitable.
    Last edited by KX250; 07-21-2008, 11:45 PM.

Originally posted by KX250 View Post

My guess would have to be after acting like cowboys in baghdad and that fairly public shooting they were involved in may have mad insurance costs skyrocket for them, thus making it unprofitable.

Errr...how about the thought that the security stuff they were doing is going away due to things winding down in the ME.....and there is more money in training....? Perhaps that's why they are opening more training academies....?
    Last edited by Bearcat357; 07-21-2008, 11:25 PM.

Comment

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/0...nceqa_071408w/

Really? Well someone better tell them.

"Acting like Cowboys"
      What experience do you have to back this up?

BW has pulled my but out of trouble in the past, I owe them. They do a job no one but them wants to do and they do it well. If you want to slam them, pick up a gun, shoulder their ruck, and show me a better way to do what they are doing.

M-11
      “All men dream...... But not equally..
      Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
      but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
      for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post

BW has pulled my but out of trouble in the past, I owe them. They do a job no one but them wants to do and they do it well. If you want to slam them, pick up a gun, shoulder their ruck, and show me a better way to do what they are doing.

M-11
        Well said, sounds like my friend Zack. He provides security for laying barriers, he's mad because he's over there doing nothing but it's something that HAS to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post

M-11
          Edited my post M-11, shouldn't have referred to them as cowboys. I was merely trying to point out that I believe that the incident about a year ago must have had something to do with this.

Comment

Thanks.

I know some people close to the situation and I'm sure everything will come out in the wash.

M-11
            “All men dream...... But not equally..
            Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
            but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
            for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

I wish our military would adopt less restrictive rules of engagement and act a bit more like Blackwater does. I believe we would have a lot fewer casualties, and would make more progress. But our government wont do that. On a side note, my best friend is doing some kind of training at Blackwater in North Carolina as we speak.

Comment

I do not have issues with the former SOF guys running around under the Blackwater flag.

I DO have issue with the way the top people TREAT their people and how they are willing to cut corners to save on time and costs.

That whole "incident" that was the catalyst for this was not the first or only incident of it's kind caused by Blackwater. But that's what happens when you cut corners.

The company "leaving" the security world is a combination of the bad press, loss of contracts, and the realization that the US won't need as many contracts now that the Iraq situation is winding down.

But this is just my opinion... and I do have a dog in this fight....
                “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Originally posted by crazynova View Post
                  I wish our military would adopt less restrictive rules of engagement and act a bit more like Blackwater does.
                  No you don't.

Only a small precentage of blackwater is comprised of fomer SOF. The rest are just people trying to make a buck that aren't very well trained.

I've seen their "tactics" first hand and on both sides of the coin.

If anything, there will be more civilian casualities and that's no way to win the "hearts and minds".

My opinion is that blackwater's (and other PMCs) tactics and procedures in the recent two years has hurt our efforts over there...
                  “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

BW still has contracts for security for almost another year. IMO they are reading the writing on the wall with the upcomming elections. Both candidates are not as open to private security contracting as Bush is. How much will BW downsize its security contracts? I think they are just taking a lets wait and see what happens attitude over the next year or so. Hell when BW had its licensed pulled from the Iraqi gov, pretty much everything in Iraq involving Gov and development came to a stand still. They had to re-instate them only a few days later.

BW is doing what any company in this type of business and climate should do which is expand and diversify their interests. If they can sustain profitablity without as much need for providing security forces then why not? There is quite a bit involved with such operations and if there are easier or better ways of making a dollar then I am sure they will follow this path. Good or bad BW has a very negative connotation to their name. It may be in their best interest to lay low on this end of things. There are numerous other companies to fill the potential void, even on the WPPS side of things. Hell you can mention other companies names doing the WPPS contracting and most Americans have never heard of them.

There is no doubt that WPPS contracts are highly profitable and there will continue to be a need for them. How much of a role will BW play in the future, who knows? I am sure Dyn and TC are not going anywhere soon if BW pulls up shop. Will that force the DoS to rely more heavily on Dyn and TC? Probably, but if the DoS opens up the bidding there will be no shortage of companies bidding on those available contracts.
                    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by farewelltonavy
                      Change their name.
                      Not going to happen....

Originally posted by farewelltonavy
                      I read in the Air Force Times paper that Blackwater was trying to create a fleet of helicopters and airplanes to expand the services they offer to the military. The title actually was: Why BW is building its own Air Force
                      Why not....? Grap retired military pilots....buy the A/C.....and then drop folks/supplies into all areas of the world and get paid for it...... And who says it has to be in the ME.....it can be in Central America, Africa, Asia, etc..... Hell, even here in the US in remote areas......

Comment

Originally posted by justhomp View Post
                        No you don't.

Only a small precentage of blackwater is comprised of fomer SOF. The rest are just people trying to make a buck that aren't very well trained.

I've seen their "tactics" first hand and on both sides of the coin.

If anything, there will be more civilian casualities and that's no way to win the "hearts and minds".

My opinion is that blackwater's (and other PMCs) tactics and procedures in the recent two years has hurt our efforts over there...
                        Blackwater uses tactics that keep thier guys alive. You can never win hearts and minds occupying another country, it just doesnt work.

Comment

Originally posted by crazynova View Post
                          Blackwater uses tactics that keep thier guys alive. You can never win hearts and minds occupying another country, it just doesnt work.
                          I don't know justhomp personally, but I know enough about him to say that you should take his word this.
                          Let no one lose heart on account of this Philistine; your servant will go and fight him

Comment

Originally posted by Norman View Post
                            I don't know justhomp personally, but I know enough about him to say that you should take his word this.
                            I know hes a smart guy who has a lot of experience on the matter, but Ive seen a lot of different first hand opinions. Most of which are that our current rules of engagement are responsible for most of the casualties our armed forces have.

Comment

Ok, I've got to throw my .02 cents in...I've had experiences w/ BW...not impressed. From my experiences, they have not evolved and adapted to the situation. What worked in '03-'04 may not be necessary today. With that said, everyone has their bad apples. Maybe the ones I deal with on a routine basis fall into that category.
                              Last edited by TJMS81; 07-23-2008, 03:37 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4627 users online. 289 members and 4338 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X