300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homicide Charge Filed In Stolen-Baby Case

PITTSBURGH -- A Wilkinsburg woman who told police last week that she bought a baby for $1,000 from another woman is facing criminal homicide charges.

Andrea Curry-Demus was arrested last week when doctors discovered the newborn baby she took to a Pittsburgh-area hospital wasn’t hers.

According to police, Curry-Demus told them she befriended a pregnant woman named “Tina” and arranged to buy the baby after she miscarried in June.

While in jail on endangering the welfare of a child charges, a decomposing and mutilated body was found in Curry-Demus’ Ella Street apartment on Friday, police said.

On Sunday, the Allegheny County Medical Examiner confirmed the body to be that of Kia Johnson, 18, of McKeesport.

Dr. Karl Williams' office said they needed to use dental records to positively identify Johnson.

Police said Johnson’s hands and feet were bound with duct tape, and her face was covered with a plastic material that had also been secured with duct tape. Her uterus was cut open and a placenta was recovered at the apartment, too, police said.

Police have since filed criminal homicide, kidnapping and unlawful restraint charges against Curry-Demus.

Police said Curry-Demus and Johnson met while visiting separate inmates at the Allegheny County Jail.

Investigators believe Johnson is the mother of the child Curry-Demus tried to pass as her own last week. Further tests needed to be completed to confirm that relationship, authorities said.

The body "was in a state of moderate decomposition" and appeared to have been dead for about two days before it was found, said Williams.

Famed pathologist and former Allegheny County coroner Dr. Cyril Wecht said evisceration means to cut into the abdomen and remove organs and tissues.

"Obviously, they did so to get to the baby," he said.
    Link
    Curry-Demus pleaded guilty in 1991 to aggravated assault after stabbing a Wilkinsburg woman in an alleged plot to steal the woman's infant. Curry-Demus, then known as Andrea Curry, was sentenced to 10 years of probation.
    Timeline of Events
    Tuesday, July 15
    9:00 am
    Kia Johnson leaves McKeesport home to go to Allegheny County Jail to visit her baby’s father
    Tuesday Afternoon
    Surveillance video at Allegheny County Jail shows Kia Johnson talking with Andrea Curry-Demus. The women were visiting different inmates.

Wednesday, July 16
    Morning
    Curry-Demus claims someone else removed the baby from a women delivered to her apartment and gave it to her.
    Curry-Demus says she took the baby to the apartment of her sister.
    Curry-Demus is taken to West Penn Hospital, with the baby’s umbilical cord attached.

Thursday, July 17
    Afternoon
    Hospital determines that Curry-Demus did not give birth to the child. Hospital notifies the police.
    Evening
    Andrea Curry-Demus tells police she bought the baby from a girl named “Tina” for $1,000.
    Police file charges of Endangerment of a Child and Dealing in Infant Children.

Friday, July 18
    5:00 pm
    Homicide detectives are called to Ella Street apartment of Andrea Curry-Demus to investigate foul smell.
    Evening
    Detectives enter apartment, find body of a woman partially decomposed. Victim was bound with duct tape, and a plastic bag was placed over her head. Homicide investigation begins.
    Family of Kia Johnson does interview with Channel 11 News. They state they believe the woman found is Kia, as she has been missing since Tuesday and is due to give birth on July 30th.

Saturday, July 19
    Morning
    Autopsy completed. Medical Examiner says victim’s body was cut open at the uterus, with wounded consistent to the removal of an infant.
    Manner of death is listed as homicide.
    Evening
    Victim is identified as woman reported missing on Tuesday, Kia Johnson of McKeesport.
    Clothes found on the victim are found to be consistent with what Kia Johnson was wearing on Tuesday’s jail surveillance tape.

Sunday, July 20
    Morning
    Additional charges of criminal homicide, kidnapping and unlawful restraint are filed against Andrea Curry-Demus.
    I drove by the apartment where this happened Friday evening & noticed the crowd of people, police & new vans. I had no idea what was being discovered...
    Last edited by mrc27; 07-21-2008, 11:29 AM.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance.

Oh, my goodness! How horrible! I'm ready to vomit.
    http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Hoppes View Post
      Oh, my goodness! How horrible! I'm ready to vomit.
      Unfortunately its happened before here in SW PA. I cant remember where but somewhere in teh sticks, out of the city by 50+ miles. Just a few years ago, Im sure its not too uncommon,
      I got nothing for now

Comment

Originally posted by e-man View Post
        Unfortunately its happened before here in SW PA. I cant remember where but somewhere in teh sticks, out of the city by 50+ miles. Just a few years ago, Im sure its not too uncommon,
        I was thinking about that incident earlier today:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9686697/
        Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc27 View Post
          I was thinking about that incident earlier today:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9686697/
          Yeah, thats it. The kid on the ATV saved her.

Scary world we live in
          I got nothing for now

Comment

Wilkinsburg Woman, Accused Of Cutting Baby From Woman's Womb, Ruled Competent

PITTSBURGH -- A Wilkinsburg woman accused of cutting an infant from a slain woman's womb last week has been found mentally competent by a judge to assist in her defense.

Allegheny County Judge Jeffrey Manning said at a competency hearing Thursday for Andrea-Curry Demus that a preliminary hearing in her case can proceed. A psychiatrist testified at the hearing that the woman is a paranoid schizophrenic who is a danger to herself.

Police found 18-year-old Kia Johnson's bound body inside Andrea Curry-Demus’ Ella Street apartment on Friday. Curry-Demus, 38, is charged with homicide, kidnapping and related offenses.

Police found Johnson’s body after authorities said Curry-Demus showed up with the baby at a hospital, initially claiming it as her own. According to police, Curry-Demus told them she befriended a pregnant woman named “Tina” and arranged to buy the baby for $1,000 after she miscarried in June.

Johnson may have been alive and was possibly drugged when the baby was ripped from her womb, authorities said. Authorities are awaiting toxicology tests, which are expected to take several weeks, to determine if Johnson had been drugged.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6810 users online. 368 members and 6442 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X