300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LTCH Question

Husband has a license to carry and has a handgun. I do not have a license (or a handgun.)

Scenario questions:

1: Hubby leaves the gun in the center console in the van and I go grocery shopping or something and get pulled over. (Say failure to signal.) Asked about weapons in the vehicle, I (being a seasonal blond) say "Uhhh.... Good question. Let me check" and find the gun. It is honestly not mine, but in my possession. It belongs to my husband who is at home. What would happen?

2: We pull in somewhere and I am in the van with the children. There is a sign on the door stating no firearms or loaded firearms (gun dealership or library take your pick) so he leaves the gun in the van in the center console. Children pitch a fit. I'm changing a diaper. Whatever. Cop pulls up. Gun is there. Cop finds out about it through whatever line of conversation. What would happen?

I live in Indiana if that makes a huge difference.
    http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

1. This one's a little more clear. It is illegal to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle without a permit. It sounds like your husband is getting a little careless with his firearms, not acceptable.

2. As I understand it, still illegal. He should have unloaded the gun, then I believe you would have been fine, but double-check with someone more knowledgeable to confirm that.

I haven't read IN statues deeply enough to be sure of the penalties. According to handgunlaw.us, IN law regarding firearms and ccw laws is found in IC 35-47-1-1 thru 47-11-6. Check it out for yourself. If you have guns in the household, it's good to be familiar with the laws.

Meanwhile you should consider getting your own permit. This doesn't excuse your husband keeping track of his firearm at all times, but it will help you out in the situations you described.

Comment

I don't know about IN laws re: CCW, but in CA your husband will be losing his CCW privileges. The permit is issued to him and the weapon(s) are his responsibility. He would be considered an irresponsible permit holder.

My suggestion to you is to check the vehicle before you go anywhere and make certain he has not left the weapon in the vehicle. You could be charged with CCW if stopped and your irresponsible husband is not in the vehicle. The other thing to consider is firearm safety. He leaves the weapon in the vehicle and your children have access to the vehicle and weapon(s). Should an unfortunate incident happen, both of you could face criminal charges.
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

We've never had situation #1, but we have had #2. It was a place where firearms were not allowed (loaded or unloaded.) But it is something that is on my mind and I do remember to check. But as a just in case, I wonder what would happen.
        http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5745 users online. 323 members and 5422 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X