300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fellow LEOs, Add a Group...Types of People/Reactions

People tend to be interested upon learning what we do for a living. This usually breaks down along the following groups:

1. "Do you know Officer ___________? He's my second cousin twice removed". It matters not that the cop works for a PD 200 miles away- apparently we all know each other.

2. The "you must have some exciting stories" crowd. You could regale them with tales of battling Space Aliens or nabbing a kid stealing gum at 7-11, it wouldn't matter, either way they're mesmerized.

3. The "I don't like cops" crowd. I see these sad sack types at poker games. They of course got locked up for something they "didn't do" or were cited by a "overzealous" cop just because they were drag racing at 120 mph.

4. The goofball crowd. They'll be the unoriginal morons making donut jokes or exclaim "I didn't do it"! Their intentions are usually harmless but they are too nervous or goofy to act normal when conversing with someone who happens to be a cop.

5. The "let me ask you a question" crowd. Folks in this group are either genuinely curious about a particular law or police procedure or they simply want to get into a p***ing contest about the ones they disagree with.

Those are 5 off the top of my head...any others?
    Last edited by BrickCop; 07-19-2008, 09:16 AM.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

I think you just about got it nailed...

another one.
    You're off duty, doing whatever, (shopping, working out, or the like) (or like me, a Reserve Officer, working my full time job), and someone asks, "Hey, what's going on at the park, I saw 2 police cars and an ambulance?" Like you, or I would know, since we are off duty....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In Memory of Staff Sgt. Matt Kimmell
    United States Army
    5th Special Forces Group
    Former Deputy Sheriff, Vanderburgh County
    Killed in Iraq October 11, 2005
    Sometimes I wonder, who you'd be today!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.tryfreemasonry.org

Real men wear aprons..

Comment

6. See the policeman, lil Johnny?..if you don't behave...he'll take you to jail!

Oh that's real nice..make them hate us, as a child.
      Last edited by deputy x 2; 07-18-2008, 11:30 PM.
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
        6. See the policeman, lil Johnny..if you don't behave...he'll take you to jail!

Oh that's real nice..make them hate us, as a child.
        I think I hate that one the most...

Comment

You forgot the most recognizable species: the Wannabe.

7. "Man, that's so cool. I always wanted to be a cop. I used to be an explorer and I did a bunch of ride alongs and this one time, we busted this dope dealer..."
          If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

8. The one that has to tell you about every time THEY have ever encountered a Police Officer. Ever. In their life.

Most are good, law abiding citizens...they just don't seem to know how to talk normally to us.
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Another one,
              How's the Sheriff doing? Next time you see him, ask him about the time................, Man, that was something!"

At that time, I was a Reserve Deputy with a department that had about 60 deputies on motor patrol, working out of a different building than the Sheriff.
              We rarely ever saw him, much less talked to him.....
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              In Memory of Staff Sgt. Matt Kimmell
              United States Army
              5th Special Forces Group
              Former Deputy Sheriff, Vanderburgh County
              Killed in Iraq October 11, 2005
              Sometimes I wonder, who you'd be today!!
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.tryfreemasonry.org

Real men wear aprons..

Comment

10. The citizens who expect us to solve their families problems, ten years in the making, in ten minutes.

Here's a band aid.
                This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by Soleil_nuage
                  ** raises hand** Guilty. So, do you have any good stories to tell?
                  Yes...
                  Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

11) Can I see your gun?

Comment

12) A citizen who expects us to instantly restore order to a situation that went to the crapper 10 years ago.....
                      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

13) Why don't/didn't cops shoot the guy in the hand?

Right, in that big adrenaline rush when we fire 6x, and we hit the subject once, it should've been in his shooting hand. We're that good, and the subject is an immobile, paper target.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

14) What do you think about X situation? Was that excessive force? And then proceeds to tell you how they would have done it and how it should have been done, though they have never in their life attempted to restrain someone (much less someone who does NOT want to go to jail)
                          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

In my case, it's "Leave them alone, Bethany. They are trying to have breakfast."

Bethany is 3 and is a chatterbox. She goes up to anyone in uniform and starts talking. lol
                            http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Hoppes View Post
                              In my case, it's "Leave them alone, Bethany. They are trying to have breakfast."

Bethany is 3 and is a chatterbox. She goes up to anyone in uniform and starts talking. lol

Bethany is part of the only group that I wouldn't mind interrupting lunch for. No BS or hidden agenda!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5159 users online. 319 members and 4840 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X