Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arrest procedures

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95573

Didn't get much feedback from the training thread, can anybody provide anything. negative or positive.

I'm new to the field, but what caught my attention was when he started resisting, she grabbed ahold of his shirt and they were basically tugging at each other. In that particular situation, as soon as he gets his hands off the trunk, I'm not grabbing his shirt, I'm taking two quick steps back, telling him to get on the ground and at the same time drawing my spray or baton in anticipationi of his failure to comply. He continues towards me, it's for one reason, to assault me. So I'm out of his reach and have my next option drawn before he can wrap me up. The last place I would want to be is in the arms of someone is who bigger and stronger.

She also puts herself between the much larger individual and the individual's car. She easily could have been pinned in between and he could have that as leverage to get at her weapon. Also not sure why, in that position, she was grabbing at his hand. I also don't know why she would reach around him to try to cuff him, puts her off balance.

Also, when being attacked from the front, you can see he is leaning forward at times. When he's leaning forward, grab the back of his head and take him to the ground. Kick him in the shin. Knee him in the groin. Even if you miss it can still distract him.

Comment

What I learned in my job is that once the suspect goes for your weapon, you're authorized to use deadly force, because the suspect is going for a weapon, whether it's on your person on his/her person. Another thing to note was that it was mentioned in the video that she knew he had a warrant. Personally I would've considered this to be a high risk traffic stop and would have radioed for backup. I'm just glad to know she lived through it and that her gun jammed.

Comment

He's not cooperating, trying to walk away, I'm sure he's not going to get on his knees if you told him to. He only put his hands on the car because he was still thinking about what he's going to do. Alot of that defense tactic stuff you practiced for a few weeks at the Academy doesn't work on street thugs. I've never seen a real felony stop on this job where the carload of suspects walk backwards for you on command with their hands in the air, except on TV. These people here don't cooperate, they know you can't shoot them in the back for running away, so they run. They all run because they don't want to go to jail.
        The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

Originally posted by tony.o View Post
          He's not cooperating, trying to walk away, I'm sure he's not going to get on his knees if you told him to. He only put his hands on the car because he was still thinking about what he's going to do. Alot of that defense tactic stuff you practiced for a few weeks at the Academy doesn't work on street thugs. I've never seen a real felony stop on this job where the carload of suspects walk backwards for you on command with their hands in the air, except on TV. These people here don't cooperate, they know you can't shoot them in the back for running away, so they run. They all run because they don't want to go to jail.
          I agree with everything that you just mentioned, but two things:

1. He had a warrant and I'm sure that there were a multitude of reasons there wasn't backup, but I think if I was out-sized and out-matched I would have issued a challenge (whether it worked or not). I'm thinking more along the lines of personal safety.

2. He was resisting, and I think the moment he would have turned around, she should have drawn her weapon. I think considering her size, she could have justified the use of deadly force.
          Last edited by chesdarithp; 07-17-2008, 10:35 AM. Reason: forgot my response

Comment

I love the woman who assisted. She wasnt strong, but pinned him to the ground! Love it!
            The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
            George Carlin

Comment

In your second question about suspect attempting to gain control of your weapon and using deadly force.....

The way we are taught is that there has to be 3 things, Ability, Opportunity and Jeopardy. If not all three are present you will have a hard time justifying the shoot. Now, if he gets the gun out and has full control of it, I'd attempt to get my backup out and give him lead poisoning.
              I am a Native American of non-Indian decent.

Cleaning the pool, one gene at a time.

I'm on a 30 day diet. So far I've lost 15 days!

Comment

Here is a good read and very easy to understand:

http://www.corneredcat.com/Legal/AOJ.aspx
                I am a Native American of non-Indian decent.

Cleaning the pool, one gene at a time.

I'm on a 30 day diet. So far I've lost 15 days!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4621 users online. 232 members and 4389 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X