300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film Noir

So, I'm taking a film noir class this quarter and I love it! It's so cool, we pass around the Chinese menu at the beginning of class (mmmmmm, tofu and mixed veggies!) and order it. The prof lectures a little bit and we discuss the origins of noir etc.. Chinese food is delivered and we start the class movie showing which last night, was Scarlet Street starring Joan Bennet and Edward Robinson. Last week we saw Double Indemnity and The Maltese Falcon the week prior.

I wasn't a big fan of The Maltese Falcon but I loved Double Indemnity and now Scarlet Street. It was definately one of the blackest films I'd ever seen.

So, are you a fan of noir by chance? If so, what are your favorite films? Any recommendations?

[ 01-24-2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: RachelR ]
    No partner is worth your tears -
    the one that is won't make you cry. - Anonymous

<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=1&Artist= Raychel&ByArtist=Yes" target="_blank">My Photo Gallery</a>

"Double Indemnity" was a great movie.

if by "film noir" you mean any "dark" movies filmed in black and white i would have to say a great one is "Pi"

there are no femme fatales or love lines of any sort in it but the movie is quite dark and the storyline is excellent but you have to pay attention to make sure you catch everything.

check it out if you get a chance.
    I'll post, You argue.

Comment

This Gun for Hire

White Heat

D.O.A. (original there's been a few remakes)

Touch of Evil

Key Largo

Laura

The Big Sleep

Asphalt Jungle

And if you want a cross over Sci-fi/Film Noir how about Blade Runner?

[ 01-24-2003, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: lone ranger ]

Comment

It has to more than just "dark" to be Film Noir.

It covers a range of film styles from naturalistic semi-documentary to heavily-charged extreme angle expressionism....

low-key lighting, night-for-night exteriors...maximum tension...faces close-up in deep shadows...the flare of a single match in a dark alley...the flicker of neon along a crowded sidewalk...ominous black cars on wet city streets.

Heavy traffic at the corner of Hollywood & Crime.

[ 01-24-2003, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: lone ranger ]

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by lone ranger:
          It has to more than just "dark" to be Film Noir.

It covers a range of film styles from naturalistic semi-documentary to hevily-charged extreme angle expressionism....

low-key lighting, night-for-night exteriors...maximum tension...faces close-up in deep shadows...the flare of a single match in a dark alley...the flicker of neon along a crowded sidewalk...ominous black cars on wet city streets.

Heavy trafic at the corner of Hollywood & Crime.

i would say that "Pi" would fit the bill then.
          I'll post, You argue.

Comment

Bladerunner? omg, that is on my favorite film list! I prefer the book, of course, but the film was great all the same.

Hmm.. I never thought of classifying it as a film noir tho.. Interesting concept.

Also, thanks for the recommendations. I went out and rented three movies that were on the recommended viewing list and one I have always wanted to see:

Strangers on a Train
            Shadow of a Doubt
            Sunset Boulevard
            The Postman Always Rings Twice

I plan on having a film noir fest this weekend as it is my first weekend all to myself that I do not have any other obligations or am going out of town. I'll be vegging on my couch, decked out in my pajamas, surrounded by my cats just watching non-stop movies. Ahh.. that's the life!

[ 01-24-2003, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: RachelR ]

<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=1&Artist= Raychel&ByArtist=Yes" target="_blank">My Photo Gallery</a>

Comment

Yes... the original Touch of Evil *and* DOA... true classics!

Touch of Evil rivals Citizen Kane as one of Welles' best works. Sure CK is THE BEST movie of ALL TIME.. but ToE is up there.

Of course, CK has several noir-ish features both in theme and cinematically.

Maltese Falcon is one of my all time favs. A good adaptation from the book, but it left out one of the best and most pivotal scenes, "the Flitcraft Case" (not sure on title but IIRC it's chapter 7)... classic Hammet and would have made classic Bogart. The story is absolutely crucial to understanding some of the more subtle nuances of the plot.

For film noir that you absolutely must watch --- "M" directed by Fritz Lang... featuring Peter Lorre... wonderful movie. It's my favorite "classic" film noir. A true classic and one of the best movies of all time.

However, my all time favorite.. HANDS DOWN all time favorite film noir is Gilda. Man that Rita Hayworth! How can you NOT love this movie!

I tend to view film noir as more of a style than a true genre. In this line of thinking, one of my favorite [i]film noirs[i] is Blade Runner directed by Ridley Scott and based on the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick.

"purists" may not consider it true film noir because it did not come from the post-war period. However, as I said, viewing film noir as more of a style than a true genre, I think Blade Runner is a great example... However, you MUST make sure to get the *true* Director's Cut with the *good* ending which is not only more true to the book, but also much more noir.

IN "modern" film noir there are some true classics such as Blue Velvet directed by David Lynch. Much of Lynch's work is very film noir and as a film's writer, he also imparts some wonderfully rich and esoteric characters and plots. Of course, I am a HUGE David Lynch fan. When he pairs up with Angelo Badlementi for the score.. watch out! You got a good movie comming!! Fire Walk with Me is wonderfully dark and strange. One of my favorite movies. And Mullholland Drive even had *me* fooled. (No plot spoilers here!)

Chinatown and The Two Jakes are another couple of great movies in the noir tradition.

Blood Simple is by the Cohen brothers and is also a great film noir. I also especially liked Barton Fink.

I could go on and on about film noir.. but I think I have confirmed my geek status enough for today!
              -Sparky

Comment

Why "Blue Velvet" of course, and "L.A. Confidential".

Comment

Dark City?
                  Luke 3:14
                  Then some soldiers asked him [Jesus], "And what should we do?" He replied, "Don't extort money and don't accuse people falsely–be content with your pay."

Comment

<--- slides a Pabst Blue Ribbon to Frank [Wink]
                    -Sparky

Comment

Ahhh...classics :

The Rear Window

The Bedford Incident

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Caine Mutiny

....and something a little more modern:

Body Double
                      "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
                      -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

I forgot Kiss of Death (again the original not the remake)

Touch of Evil, D.O.A., and Blade Runner are my favorites.

The more recent Palmetto isn't a bad noir. I give it a thumbs up just because it has Gina Gershon in it.

[ 01-24-2003, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: lone ranger ]

Comment

quote:
                          Gina Gershon
                          She deserves her OWN thread. Yummmmmmmmmm........!
                          "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
                          -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

Wow, didn't realize how many film buffs we had in here! Of course, I should have figured that a cop's taste would run mainly dark and noir'ish Too many movies for me to view in a quarter but now I have some suggestions that aren't on the lists.. Maybe I can finally impress that hard to impress prof with my film noir expertise! haha

OK, watched some of The Postman Always Rings Twice and I just have to say.. the beginning of it is the cheesiest I have ever seen, lol. I was LMAO. I've only got 20 minutes into it and it's boring so far. Scarlet Street was sooo much better.

And also another thing.. that Fred MacMurray.. wow!! He must have been the George Clooney of the 40's!!

Comment

I think "L.A. Confidential" qualifies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3711 users online. 203 members and 3508 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X