300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True and correct name for cops

If firefighters are called that because they fight fire, why aren't cops officially called crime fighters?
    Gimme a Diablo sammich and a Dr. Pepper, and make it snappy - I'm in a gotd**n hurry!

I refer them them in text as LEO :-). Verbally "sir" or "Officer".....long time ago it was "ossifer" but I stopped drinking 11/12/91.

Bill
    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Good point BigTrooper.

Comment

And another question, the term "cop" comes from the word "copper", which referred to the copper buttons on the coats of police officers.

Why do we have to be named after buttons? ^_^
        Oh, yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it... or, learn from it!

Comment

Because of the English propensity for synechdochically naming things after subparts thereof or, more broadly, metonymically, after things associated therewith (I'll explain all that if anyone would like me to).

Comment

Originally posted by BigTrooper View Post
            If firefighters are called that because they fight fire, why aren't cops officially called crime fighters?
            Because we don't live in comic books.
            sigpic
            Don't make me gassy.
            You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

And another question, the term "cop" comes from the word "copper", which referred to the copper buttons on the coats of police officers
              Actually depending on where you go there is different originations of the term "cop" in NY it referred to the copper shield police officers wore.
              In england it referred to Constable On Patrol.
              sigpic

Comment

The "Constable On Patrol" thing was made up much later. The "copper" term, a short time later frequently shortened to "cop", originally was a reference to the use of copper buttons. The government thought that it was not appropriate for the newly formed Police Force to use silver buttons, as for example the Life Guards did (the Life Guards are the protection personnel for the Monarch) and so ordered the use of copper for Police coat buttons to cut costs and avoid ostentation.

Comment

Not everything an officer does related to actual crimes.

They enforce the law.
                  A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

When I was growing up and until a few years ago, the general term was
                    “Peace Officer”.

FROM WEBSTER:

Main Entry:
                    peace officer
                    Function:
                    noun
                    Date:

: a civil officer (as a police officer) whose duty it is to preserve the
                    public peace

It seems to me far too many Officers are being trained as LEO’s. When I
                    went thru the academy (1969) we were taught the two most important
                    words in the Penal Code is “Shall” and “May”. When possible and
                    practicle I leaned towards “May”.
                    Last edited by TheOldMan; 07-07-2008, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Because the English language doesn't follow very much logic, pattern, or nomenclature.

Why are firefighters called firefighters? You can't punch or kick a fire, so it's not a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Contact View Post
                        Not everything an officer does related to actual crimes.

They enforce the law.
                        Not everything a firefighter does is related to fire, either.
                        summer - winter - work

Comment

I should have put a "" at the end of my original question. It was more a rhetorical question than anything else.

Although firefighters do not punch or kick a fire, cops physically fight with criminals, and it just made sense to me.
                          Gimme a Diablo sammich and a Dr. Pepper, and make it snappy - I'm in a gotd**n hurry!

Comment

Officer is good with me or superhero it doesn't really matter.

Comment

[QUOTE=TheOldMan;1319978]When I was growing up and until a few years ago, the general term was
                              “Peace Officer”.

You're an oldtimer like me -the term was "POLICEMAN" I remember when we got our first Police Officer badges so our females would not feel "unloved" lol.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4945 users online. 302 members and 4643 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X