Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA Law allowing carry in airports, ATL Mayor/Airport says "NOT"

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/...wstab#comments

I can't imagine any states passing laws that allows joe citizen to carry a firearm into an airport. Obviously the mayor of Atlanta and the Atlanta Airport Authority feel the same way. The GA folks are interpreting this law to include airports since it has a stipulation to carry into areas of "public transportation." I'm already into a steady argument with folks on a flyer forum. Those politicians advising of lawsuits against the city/airport if arrested for carrying are acting like babies.

My stance as an airport LEO, leave the firearms in the vehicle or at home. Carry in my airport and you get arrested and your weapon is seized (obvious exceptions are LEOs, Feds, and FDOs). Airports have their own police departments, many of which are heavily armed and have less than a 1 minute response time. Weapons carried by anyone will only lead to confusion (if an incident occurs) and the possibility of getting shot by us. There is absolutely no reason to carry into such a facility.
    Last edited by SgtScott31; 07-02-2008, 10:59 AM.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

You're not allowed to carry past the security check points (are you even allowed through them if you don't have a boarding pass?) so what makes the rest of an airport any different from any other place that Joe Citizen can carry? If you have a conealed weapons permit and you go to the airport to pick someone up I see no reason you shouldn't be allowed to carry your weapon. You aren't entering any secure areas, passing through any metal detectors, or boarding any planes so to me it's the same as going to the mall.

Comment

Let me ask you this. If there is no reason to carry a concealed pistol into that facility, then what is the purpose for you and the police force to be "heavily armed"?
      And a minute response time is a LONG time consider what can happen in under a minute.
      If Im picking someone up, and dont have to go through security to wait in the building, you better be damn sure Im going to carry my pistol with me. And for the same reason you and your force are heavily armed.
      The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
      George Carlin

Comment

If the rules say you can't carry on airport grounds, then it would be unwise to do so.
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

Well, let me tone down my last statement. Didnt mean to come off as a "I will carry anywhere I please" kind of person.

In most of the airports I frequent, the "No-Guns" signs only start appearing the closer you get to the "Secure" locations. Anywhere outside of that, I carry on occasion.
          The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
          George Carlin

Comment

IMHO, the pendulem is beginning to slowly swing in favor of citizen's right to carry. In common with most rights, the right to carry is not absolute, and there will be continue to be restrictions in certain venues. Airports will no doubt be one of these. This probably isn't going to be a problem for active and retired LEO's, but for private citizens, yes. We can expect some litigation in these areas for some time to come.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
              http://www.ajc.com/business/content/...wstab#comments

I can't imagine any states passing laws that allows joe citizen to carry a firearm into an airport. Obviously the mayor of Atlanta and the Atlanta Airport Authority feel the same way. The GA folks are interpreting this law to include airports since it has a stipulation to carry into areas of "public transportation." I'm already into a steady argument with folks on a flyer forum. Those politicians advising of lawsuits against the city/airport if arrested for carrying are acting like babies.

My stance as an airport LEO, leave the firearms in the vehicle or at home. Carry in my airport and you get arrested and your weapon is seized (obvious exceptions are LEOs, Feds, and FDOs). Airports have their own police departments, many of which are heavily armed and have less than a 1 minute response time. Weapons carried by anyone will only lead to confusion (if an incident occurs) and the possibility of getting shot by us. There is absolutely no reason to carry into such a facility.

Flyertalk?
              That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker6900 View Post
                Let me ask you this. If there is no reason to carry a concealed pistol into that facility, then what is the purpose for you and the police force to be "heavily armed"?
                And a minute response time is a LONG time consider what can happen in under a minute.
                If Im picking someone up, and dont have to go through security to wait in the building, you better be damn sure Im going to carry my pistol with me. And for the same reason you and your force are heavily armed.
                The safety & security of folks in our facility is our responsibility, not yours.

The only thing that you will end up doing is getting shot by an officer. What do you think will happen if I are one of my associates is responding to an active shooter situation and see you, in plain clothes, with a gun out?

While I mentioned "a minute" response time, you can bet if an active shooter situation arises, it will be seconds.

All signs are posted on the front of our building. You walk through our doors with a weapon, you will be arrested and the weapon will be seized.

Comment

Originally posted by AvalancheZ71 View Post
                  Flyertalk?
                  Yes. They absolutely love me over there (NOT).

Comment

The safety & security of folks in our facility is our responsibility, not yours.

The only thing that you will end up doing is getting shot by an officer. What do you think will happen if I are one of my associates is responding to an active shooter situation and see you, in plain clothes, with a gun out?

While I mentioned "a minute" response time, you can bet if an active shooter situation arises, it will be seconds.

All signs are posted on the front of our building. You walk through our doors with a weapon, you will be arrested and the weapon will be seized.
                    Once again we see a policy of ASSUMING all armed non LE people are BAD people, and a policy of SHOOTING them. The Legislature and the electorate decide the laws of the state, the Airport Police will have to alter their policies to suit the laws I guess ?? I'm wondering in an active shooter situation how you go about sorting out if a person in plainclothes has a gun out ?? And why that method cannot also deal with NON LE legally armed people ??

I agree it is a LOT simpler for YOU if we pass laws that WE have to just cower and run and get shot until you get a chance to show up, assess, then handle the situation.............I'm not liking that idea a whole lot tho :-)

Bill
                    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Yes. They absolutely love me over there (NOT).
                      I did not know you were over there. I have not visited that site in months. I use the same handle. I have picked up some great deals though.
                      That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

Comment

Up to the security check point a firearm or knife or both would be common place where I frequent. When police start to fear the public they work for it's time to re-think thier job choice.

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post
                          Once again we see a policy of ASSUMING all armed non LE people are BAD people, and a policy of SHOOTING them. The Legislature and the electorate decide the laws of the state, the Airport Police will have to alter their policies to suit the laws I guess ?? I'm wondering in an active shooter situation how you go about sorting out if a person in plainclothes has a gun out ?? And why that method cannot also deal with NON LE legally armed people ??

I agree it is a LOT simpler for YOU if we pass laws that WE have to just cower and run and get shot until you get a chance to show up, assess, then handle the situation.............I'm not liking that idea a whole lot tho :-)

Bill
                          It is not my assumption at all that all people are bad, but if you have read my posts on this forum or others, I have certainly arrested CCW holders for having stolen weapons, drugs, or both. It is not a common occurrence, and I certainly don't hold that against the large majority of law abiding CCW holders, but I simply do not see the benefit in allowing more armed individuals to come into an airport terminal. It is safe to say that in a tense situation such as an active shooter, we should be able to point out the shooter on-site (obviously the one with the gun in his hand). I do not want to have the death of a permit holder on my conscious. Although other persons can be injured and/or killed by police gunfire, you can bet it is 100% guarantee that anyone holding a weapon out will likely be shot by our officers. I do not want anyone to have to come face to face with an active shooter and cower/run as you have mentioned, but considering we will be on scene within seconds, I feel that is better than the alternative of a bunch of gun-toters walking around in our terminal.

Comment

It is not my assumption at all that all people are bad, but if you have read my posts on this forum or others, I have certainly arrested CCW holders for having stolen weapons, drugs, or both. It is not a common occurrence, and I certainly don't hold that against the large majority of law abiding CCW holders, but I simply do not see the benefit in allowing more armed individuals to come into an airport terminal. It is safe to say that in a tense situation such as an active shooter, we should be able to point out the shooter on-site (obviously the one with the gun in his hand). I do not want to have the death of a permit holder on my conscious. Although other persons can be injured and/or killed by police gunfire, you can bet it is 100% guarantee that anyone holding a weapon out will likely be shot by our officers. I do not want anyone to have to come face to face with an active shooter and cower/run as you have mentioned, but considering we will be on scene within seconds, I feel that is better than the alternative of a bunch of gun-toters walking around in our terminal.
                            SO your saying an off duty, out of state, or retired LEO will be SHOT by your officers ?? If you do not want the death of a "permit holder" on your conscience then you will just have to re-think how you decide who needs to be shot.

I'm NOT willing to become a backstop so that when you guys finally show up that it is easier for you to decide who to shoot.

It is NOT an appropriate tactic to SHOOT any armed people in a situation, if those are your tactics you need some serious retraining. Whether you like it or not eventually the way it is going your going to be rubbing shoulders with legally armed people in more and more places...........really it will be simpler for you............you can just mop up the blood, take pictures, cart off the corpses, and go back to whatever you were doing when you got the call.

Bill
                            Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

I don't see a problem with lawful carry up to ... but not past the security checkpoints. That portion open to the general, non ticket posessing public walking in off the street, those who haven't yet been screened ... there it should be OK. Man stalking his ex-wifey and sees her with new BF and pulls his .45 and broadcast his intent to kill both and I'm 23 feet away and see it, I damn sure want to have had the option of deciding to carry because he may decide to just go on a spree after knocking them two off and that may include my family. I want to not have to depend on some airport security officer responding from the second floor WC after ex-hubby's .45's second clip is empty.

Secured area, after all have been screened, exrayed, weighed, strip searched, etc .... I don't need to carry there maybe. Don't want no one carrying on the plane either unless AM or Pilot.
                              Originally posted by willbird
                              Originally posted by SgtScott31
                              ... you can bet it is 100% guarantee that anyone holding a weapon out will likely be shot by our officers. ...
                              SO your saying an off duty, out of state, or retired LEO will be SHOT by your officers ?? ...
                              It do sort of read that way.

Never mind me, I don't fly anyway ........

(PS .... I'm also for raising the minimum speed limit through any school zone to 50 mph. Teach them early what a car or truck really moves like in the world outside of school zones. I used to walk to school over 2 miles on public streets starting in 2nd grade, first street crossed was a 4 lane 45 mph avenue. We crossed in a group of 5 or 6, never saw a crossing guard until in junior high ... and wondered why then.)
                              Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 07-02-2008, 05:54 PM.
                              "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5707 users online. 397 members and 5310 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X