Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do not talk to the police?

An officer talks...

I found that video very informative. I already knew a lot of what he said, but having another angle on it is better.

More or less I had already decided to follow that course of action in anything but a very very minor situation.

I think he is 100% dead on the money.

Bill
    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

It’s ignorant. I have known officers that take this stance, and that’s why they lose their gun, and badge. Of course you may need assistance; HWOEVER to not make a statement is foolish. If you have done nothing wrong, you should be clear about what you did. IE I go to a domestic case, One partner says the other smack them about the face, and threw them to the ground. There are no visible injuries, and the house is not in shambles. The other partner says, I didn’t do anything, I don’t know why you are here, and we were not even in an argument.

What do you think happens?

Now same case, the instead of saying nothing happened, the second party states, well we had an argument over my cheating on her. She was angry, we yelled at each other, and she said she was going to have me arrested. She called you guys. I didn’t touch her.

Now what happens? In which case is the second person’s statement of facts more likely to be true?

Could you perhaps investigate further, and find inconsistencies her the first parties story?

A complains comes into the department, saying Officer X did many bad things, swore, man handled ect. Officer X is asked for a statement, and officer X statement is, "I don’t remember that incident."

What happens?

Same scene, officer X states "It was a domestic arrest, I was on scene for all of 15 min, when an arrest was made, transported the individual to 7D for processing, was only alone with the subject during the transport. Did not do anything out of the order. I did however advise the subject what would happen if they failed to cooperate.

What happens?
      Some say to take action and to fail is to die a dogs death. I say to live, and fail to take action is to live a dogs life.

Comment

So... Did he get to be a Lawyer?

M-11
        “All men dream...... But not equally..
        Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
        but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
        for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

sad to say but he is right about how the tapes and confessions can be twisted out of a person.
          not that I care...If i ever did anything to get into that type of a conversation....I would need a lawyer for a will.
          My Mom would kill me.
          ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
          Oscar Wilde

Comment

I'm not sure the officer should be publicly revealing his interview techniques for obtaining confessions that the criminals are giving up their rights in providing.

Comment

That's only the second half of the lecture. Here's the law professor who went right before the officer.

Don't talk to the police by by Professor James Duane.

Comment

He could reveal the techniques right before an interview starts and most people would still talk and confess.
                Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Also to ME anyway there is a difference between talking to a LEO who was dispatched to a situation I am involved in, and getting taken in and set down in the "interview" room. It would be pretty darn stupid to CALL the Police, and then refuse to talk to them when they arrived :-).

For the record, I am 44, and have never been taken in and set down in the "interview" room as an adult, and I'm cautiously optimistic that I will NEVER have that happen :-), if I DO they are inquiring about something I know NOTHING about.

Bill

Comment

... Anything you say WILL be used against you in a court of law ...

Personally I like his techniques, if someone is breaking sound law and doesn't have enough personal moral clarity to tell the truth, use all the tools at your disposal.
                    Last edited by JoePublic; 06-17-2008, 05:35 PM.
                    There is nothing to see here.

Comment

Joe I agree, if their that stupid, let them hang themselves....

But I feel free to not be so stupid :-).

Bill

Comment

1.) I have never interviewed an innocent person that was worse off after they talked to me, unless they lied.

2.) He's briefing a legal course. I have never interviewed a legal expert. Only wanna-be legal experts

Comment

What about the comment from the professor where he says that statements to the police can be used against you in court, but they can't be used in court to exonerate you.

Comment

What about the comment from the professor where he says that statements to the police can be used against you in court, but they can't be used in court to exonerate you.
                            He's not trying to *inform* you on the law, he's trying to persuade you not to talk to police. He's being dramatic to the point where he's misleading. If you got the idea that your statements can't exonerate you, that's incorrect. I have looked into alibis and corroborated them, and then they didn't even go to court.

The investigator claims an 98% conviction rate. I'd like to ask him how many innocent people were harmed by talking to him. When he says zero, ask him why he still thinks it's a big deal for an innocent person to talk to police in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by JimSmith View Post
                              He's not trying to *inform* you on the law, he's trying to persuade you not to talk to police. He's being dramatic to the point where he's misleading. If you got the idea that your statements can't exonerate you, that's incorrect. I have looked into alibis and corroborated them, and then they didn't even go to court.
                              What he was claiming was that it couldn't be brought up in court to exonerate you. During an investigation, sure, but he claimed such statements couldn't be used in court.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3574 users online. 240 members and 3334 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X