300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military deserters

Just saw a story on local news. Desertion is up 3x from 10 years ago.( News being what it is I'm sure they mean AWOL/UA) They have a "kindler/gentler" policy now that does not make it a crime (?) WTF is that! I was stationed in the middle of Illinois for several years, being from Chicago I always got sent to pick up AWOL's from there. (Good duty).Used to be your butt was in deep do-do if you went AWOL/UA. What have we come to? The slacker generation in uniform. "Dude there's no Sega 64 here, I'm out". Bevis and Butthead enlist....The Movie. Salute to all those serving with honor, I know the whole generation is not bad. This just worries me.

I'll have you know that it is a Nintendo 64...

I'm sure it stems primarily from the fact that the army is desperate enough to retain soldiers that it will let these situations slide.
    Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein

Comment

Hey I'm from the first generation PONG era.Let's watch a dot bounce back and forth, you know. Sega, Nintendo, 45, 64 whatever....... I agree with your valid point though. Desperation is an evil thing.

Comment

I recently worked an application on someone that had been the military for 6 weeks. Reason for discharge: Stress (I forget the exact wording)

This person was put under so much stress, they couldn't handle it and were given a medical discharge. According to the recruiters and other military staff I've spoken with, the type of discharge that was given to them is equivalent to never being there.

Times change, huh?
        Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by JKT:
          I recently worked an application on someone that had been the military for 6 weeks. Reason for discharge: Stress (I forget the exact wording)

This person was put under so much stress, they couldn't handle it and were given a medical discharge. According to the recruiters and other military staff I've spoken with, the type of discharge that was given to them is equivalent to never being there.

Times change, huh?
          That's a ELS, Entry Level Separation, given to anyone who boogers out during initial training for non-criminal reasons. Since they haven't been there long, they can't be characterized as serving honorably or dishonorably, so they get kind of a blanket low-level boot. I do think it shows up on the records, but their sheet will be really short.

Separated for stress? One word - waaaaa.

Comment

And to think some of these people want to be cops. What makes them think they can handle the stress of the academy or life after the street. I still think its better than reading about MP's getting caught smoking weed
            "Police work gives you the test first, then the lesson"-Senior Trooper Robert Dent Oregon SP

Comment

Ooooh, I read a great article on the prevailance of weed in the French Military. All I can say, is that I wouldn't want to be on their sole air craft carrier during an emergency.
              Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein

Comment

I saw a few people desert while I was in, and all I could say to them was "Good Riddance!" Lazy, weed smoking S.O.B.'s for the most part; just a bunch of dead weight for the taxpayers to provide for, who were taking up a slot for a good person who wanted in who would make a much better soldier.

Comparing military life to police work in the civilian world is kind of like comparing an apple to an orange. So much more goes on in military life we really don't know about.

Sure, a police academy can be hell, but the reward is worth the effort, and those who can't cut it were probably never meant to be cops in the first place. Maybe someone who can't handle a military boot camp could make it in the police academy; we never know.

I'm sure any military vet knows what I mean.
                Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

And this thing with "stress cards" and the Marines in Basic Training... GOOD GOD! We (all Americans) will PAY for this liberalism. We will pay dearly.

They can't strike you, they can't single you out, etc. How did we get here? Why was there not SOMEONE with some oversite to BITCHSLAP whoever brought each of these items up. Oh, I'm sure they came about individually, and looked good at the time, and addressed some specific problem then and there, but now the whole is MORE than the sum of the parts.

I've got a friend who summed it up-"The Marines are not supposed to be 'kinder and gentler.' The Marines are not supposed to have problems with 'stress.' When some third world leader thinks about hurting Americans, there should be someone there to ask him 'Are you crazy?????? If we do that, the US Marines and Army Airborne will be over here killing our men, burning our houses, and eating our babies!"

BTW, if this offends you, you may be part of the problem. Sorry...
                  People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3921 users online. 228 members and 3693 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X