300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling off with a vest...

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I recently was assigned to a foot beat. In St. Louis it is REALLY hot and humid this time of year. I normally have a "cool-cop" for inside the car, however, I will not be able to use it due to being primarily on foot. Does anyone know of any good ways to keep cool while on foot patrol in a vest? I would REALLY appreciate your response if so!
    -If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame-

water and lots of it
    go into a lot of different stores.
    sun block, again lots of it

and again
    WATER
    (Heres a tip..don't drink the ice cold water, drink it room temp. the cold water against the contrast of the heat shocks the body. Room temp is processed much faster as a coolant.
    That is what I have found in this heat down here. we are hitting 95's now and its not even the start of the really HOT part of the summer. With no real winter to freeze the bugs and it already this hot, we are going to have a L O N G H O T S U M M E R. with lots of bugs.
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

Comment

I've always wondered if there are any cops who sweat a lot? I mean like soaked through the shirt, pit stains, etc. Of course the other issue is BO. Not saying that cops aren't hygenic, but I imagine it is difficult to stay "fresh" after 8 hours on a foot beat wearing a vest.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

follow the ice cream man!
        "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

Staying cool in a vest while on foot patrol? Whew...not sure thats possible. I would do like mentioned by chickee by just drinking water and kicking it in the stores when you get a chance. Good to see ST. Louis has a foot patrol...lots of interaction with the public and you will probably see more. Hope it works out for you.

Kansan...I'm one of the ones that sweats alot. During the academy it was alot harder because there was alot of pressure and I went through during the summer months. Now the uniform I wear is lighter and the material is cooler but when I put the vest on the dripping begins. Surprisingly while wearing my vest the pits aren't dripping but the area around my vest is so it doen't show much plus the material of my shirt dries moisture pretty fast. Deoderant fights the stank and how I care for my vest afterwards fights the stank there. I never wear a uniform for more than two days anyway so that helps too.
          "When I came home, people often asked me about Iraq, and mostly I told them it wasn't so bad. I didn't know how to explain myself to them. The war really wasn't so bad. Yes, there were bombs and shootings and nervous times, but that was just the job. In fact, going to war is rather easy. You react to situations around you and try not to die. There are no electric bills or car payments or chores around the house. Just go to work, come home alive, and do it again tomorrow." - Brian Mockenhaupt

Comment

shoot i sweat more than a prostitute in confession, day and night. Foot patrol? forget it, you're gonna get soaked and be miserable.

The ONLY thing that saves me is my cool cop.

Comment

i sweat my *** off too, mostly around my face. i keep a towel on the passenger seat and am ordering a cool cop. i worked a foot beat before and always hid out in businesses until the sun went down. the businesses loved it and i dodged some of the heat.
              Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Ive heard that taking an ice cold shower, or as cold as you can stand it, right before shift will help lower your body temp and make the first part of shift relatively bearable. Hydration is key, lots and lots of water. If you go for powerade/gatorade type drinks, drink equal amounts of water and power/gatorade.
                "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
                Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
                Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Comment

Use the NYPD method:

Get to know the business owners and hang out in the back.
                  Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

"cool cop" ?????? What is this, can someone fill me in?

Comment

http://www.coolcop.com/
                      1*

Comment

'coolcop' looks pretty cool. no pun intended.

Comment

stlcopper,

If you have the option, wear an external uniform vest carrier. I find this helps immensely as every once in a while I can undo a side and "air out" underneath. I went to the external carrier three years ago and have not turned back....

Comment

The only undershirt I have tried that is worth anything is underarmor. $25 each, but well worth it. As VTfuzz said, wearing an outer vest carrier helps. Thats what I use and between calls or on luch break, you can easily take it off for a few and cool off. If you have access, you can even put it in a freezer for a few minutes before you go back to the heat.
                            Work harder! Millions on welfare depend on you...

Comment

Work night shift. Thats about the only way.
                              "Valor would cease to be a virtue, if there were no injustice." -Agesilaus the Great

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3988 users online. 215 members and 3773 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X