300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supporting arguments for take home carz

I would like to gather up as many as I can get, especially any links or articles, or studies that are more "scholarly" in nature.

There has been some talk (and thankfully just that, for now) of ending or adding more restrictions to the take-home car policy at my department.

Some of the obvious arguments would be that the city has no place to store all the cars, and that officers tend to take better care of their own car than a shared vehicle (any statistical data to support that second point would be appreciated.)

There is also the fact that officers can put more personal gear in the car and don't have to waste time loading and unloading, but that would be seen as more of a benefit to the cop than the public. I want information that would convince the average civilian that take home cars are in their best interest, both from a policy and purely economic perspective.

Feel free to PM me if you have information you don't want to share publicly.

(did I really spell cars like that? Seriously, I'm not "gangsta." I shouldn't be posting this early in the morning...)
    Last edited by toasterlocker; 06-05-2008, 09:42 AM. Reason: stupid spelling...

One argument can be made that higher public visibility (cars parked outside officers house) deters crime and gives citizens in that neighborhood a heightened feeling of safety. I appologize for not having anything academic to back this up.

Comment

I'm not an officer but my husband is. I don't have any material on it but I've heard him talk of the pros. The cars last longer because they are not running 24 hours a day. They are better taken care of because 1 person is responsible for the maintenance, not up to 6 people. Visibility in the neighborhoods of those officers is a real bonus. I also think the time loading up would be a benefit to the public for sure! That takes some time and after you all sit through roll call and finally load up, it could take 15 to 30 minutes. That time during shift change, plenty of calls start backing up.
      I'm sure one of the very smart officers on here will have much more info (and data to back it up).
      I wish you luck!

Comment

With the price of gas as high as it is, don't expect your employer to pay for your commuting and errands. I expect to see fewer take-home cars, except in rural counties where officers may need to respond from home.
        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

All the agencies down here have takehomes. Most limit you to only being able to drive the vehicle while in uniform.

Pretty much everyone above me has posted things I've heard echoed by officers down here.

Visibility and maintence are the biggest pros though. You might be able to call one of the agencies down here in south Florida and connect with someone who can send you their maintence "reports" or records and you can use that to help your quest.

Good luck.
          “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Last edited by toasterlocker; 07-05-2013, 01:01 PM.

Comment

My dad has a take home car and while there are certainly benefits, I think most tax payers are more worried about what the gas for those cars is costing.

For example, my dad drives 35 miles to work one way and the public is paying for all that gas money.

Comment

For one, don't refer to them as "carz". Glad I could help.

Comment

1. Visibility (already covered).

2. Maintenance/longevity (already covered).

3. Parking at the station.

Without take-home cars, you would have to have enough parking for the personal cars of the officers on the current shift - as well as enough for the personal vehicles of the cops coming on for the next shift. This is in addition to the spaces required for the patrol cars as well.

Not a big deal for some agencies, but certainly a problem for others with limited parking spots! There is also the extra hassle of transferring gear/equipment from private car to the duty vehicle.

IMHO, keep the 'take-home' cars for as many personnel as feasible; but perhaps put more of a limit on the "off duty" uses or have cops on the beat actually get out and do some foot patrol if the agency serves an urban area.
                  Last edited by VA Dutch; 06-06-2008, 10:06 AM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4842 users online. 355 members and 4487 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X