300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC lets motorcycles run red lights

As a rider, I have sat at lights rolling the bike across the sensor with the sidestand down or bouncing up and down, trying to get the foolish thing to toggle. So I think this is a good thing, but there is some real potential for trouble from irate motorists who see it.

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- South Carolina has joined six other states that let motorcyclists, mo-ped drivers and bicyclists run red lights that don't change within a couple minutes of their stopping.

Gov. Mark Sanford signed the bill into law Tuesday.

It requires motorcyclists, mo-peds and bicycles to stop for two minutes before entering an intersection if a traffic signal has not turned green. Motorcyclists pushed the legislation because they said automatic signal controls using sensor embedded in roads don't always detect their bikes.

The American Motorcyclist Association says Arkansas, Idaho, Minnesota, North Carolina, Tennessee and Wisconsin have similar laws.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

that's good. the non changing lights can be horrible.

Comment

They still have to stop.But if the light hasent changed in two minutes then they can roll on through. According to the above post. I have not heard anything about it yet.

Comment

We've had it here for a while with no problems. When the law first came out, the media tried to sensationalize it with headlines implying that motorcycles were allowed to bust through red lights.
        The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

I have ran into those pesky lights before. In Ohio the only legal alternative we often have is to make a right on red at the red light, then turn around in a parking lot and go back. Or if you know the area then evade the light via parking lots, which is not strictly legal.

Bill
          Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

I just hope Gary Busey didn't support the law, he'd probably get run over next week and change his mind about it.
            The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop
              Who times the two minutes?
              The same people who enforce any other traffic laws: the police.
              If there's no officers around and the rider choses not to wait the full two, then they get away with it just like any other motorist who chooses to run the light.
              sigpic
              Don't make me gassy.
              You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

North Carolina just passed a similar law a few months ago. Except the rider has to wait an entire cycle before going through the red light.
                Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

Originally posted by Woofdog View Post
                  North Carolina just passed a similar law a few months ago. Except the rider has to wait an entire cycle before going through the red light.
                  If the rider waited an entire cycle, wouldn't his light turn green in a cycle?

Comment

No, it may never cycle the turn signal. It could be possible for a light to not cycle a green for the turn lane. Some signals have a seperate cycle for the turn lane and do not turn green unless a sensor has been triggered. A similar law passed in TN a few years back. I have yet to see a motorcycle bust one yet.
                    That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

Comment

What Avalanche said.
                      Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

From a practical stand point I understand the need for this exception. But from a saftey and liability stand point I don't like it.

If they run a light and get hit by someone who's fault is it? I wouldn't want to be charged for hitting someone that legaly runs the light? Usually here the lights are all on timers until late into the night then they go to sensors.

But if a bike is next to a bigger truck or van and shoot across the intersection. Cars won't have time to stop.
                        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Better solution: If there's a pedestrian light (normal for most intersections with stoplights in a city), punch the button for crossing.
                          Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
                          Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
                          A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

deleted----
                            Last edited by cbr600_kitty; 10-16-2008, 10:34 PM.
                            'Evil always wins when Good does nothing'-Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by rubyrose View Post
                              Better solution: If there's a pedestrian light (normal for most intersections with stoplights in a city), punch the button for crossing.

That's what I did in my bicycle in such intersections.... Much less likely to become someone's hood ornament that way, especially as this tended to happen in small streets that were crossing large thoroughfares.... It was usually faster to just wait for a car to come though.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2386 users online. 131 members and 2255 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X