300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Solo!

Yeah!!! Just did my first solo flight, three takeoffs and landings! It went perfectly; should have my private ticket by November...just had to toot my own horn...
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

AWESOME!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!! Can we all have rides!!!

Comment

vbrenner,

Congratulations, here's a few words of wisdom:

Basic Lessons In Aviation

Takeoff's are optional. Landings are mandatory.
      If God meant man to fly, He'd have given him more money.
      If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger, if you pull the stick back they get smaller. (Unless you keep pulling the stick back-then they get bigger again... which is definitely bad news in didn't plan it that way.
      Flying is not dangerous; crashing is dangerous.
      Its better to be down here wishing you were up there, than up there wishing you were down here.
      The propeller is just a big fan in the front on the plane to keep the pilot cool. Want proof? Make it stop; then watch the pilot break out in a sweat.
      Speed is life, altitude is life insurance. No one has ever collided with the sky.
      It's best to keep the pointed end going forward as much as possible.
      The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
      Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man...Landing is the first!
      Everyone already knows the definition of a 'good' landing is one from which you can walk away, but very few know the definition of a 'great landing.' It's one after which you can use the airplane another time.
      The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
      Always remember you fly an airplane with your head, not your hands.
      Never let an airplane take you somewhere your brain didn't get to five minutes earlier.
      You know you've landed with the wheels up when it takes full power to taxi.
      Those who hoot with the owls by night, should not fly with the eagles by day.
      A helicopter is a collection of rotating parts going round and round and reciprocating parts going up and down - all of them trying to become random motion.
      Helicopters can't really fly - they're just so ugly that the earth immediately repels them.
      "Young man, was that a landing or were we shot down?"
      Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all them yourself.
      Trust your captain... but keep your seat belt securely fastened.
      Any pilot who relies on a terminal forecast can be sold the Brooklyn Bridge.
      If he relies on winds-aloft reports, he can be sold Niagara Falls.
      Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment.
      Aviation is not so much a profession as it is a disease.
      There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing: Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
      The only thing worse than a captain who never flew as copilot is a copilot who once was a captain.
      Be nice to your first officer, he may be your captain at your next airline.
      Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwind.
      A thunderstorm is never as bad on the inside as it appears on the outside ... it's worse.
      "Son, I was flying airplanes for a living when you were still in liquid form."
      It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation. You start with a large fortune.
      A male pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's flying and about flying when he's with a woman.
      A fool and his money are soon flying more airplane than he can handle.
      Remember, you're always a student in an airplane.
      Keep looking around; there's always something you've missed.
      Try to keep the number of your landings equal to the number of your takeoffs.
      You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back.
      There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
      Things which do you no good in aviation: Altitude above you, runway behind you, fuel in the truck, half a second ago, approach plates in the car, the airspeed you don't have.
      Flying is the perfect vocation for a man who wants to feel like a boy, but not for one who still is.
      Being an airline pilot would be great if you didn't have to go on all those trips.
      Gravity never loses! The best you can hope for is a draw!

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: Pnutt ]
      Illegitimus non carborundus!

Comment

Yep, those are all true. Right before I soloed Jim (instructor) and I talked about "Don't run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas at the same time."

Think I'll print those out and keep them in the flight bag.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

vbrenner,

ROTFL, how true!

My husband is a flight instructor and thought you might enjoy those.

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: Pnutt ]
          Illegitimus non carborundus!

Comment

Welcome to the stangest combination in the world. A cop that flies. More sense than most, and less money too. Congratulations. Remmber when you get your ticket. It is a license to learn.
            As my friend says: All Narc, No Bite

Comment

I have tried SO hard to get over my fear of flying. I can fly but only if my husband flies with me. He holds my hand the whole time and is wincing in pain by the time we land! lol I think it has to do with the feeling of no control. My husband said he would buy me one of those baby streering wheels to sit in front of me and I can turn it when the plane turns! lol
              When I get on a plane, I feel claustrophbic and when we take off, it takes my breath away.
              When we moved up here, to look for a house, we had to fly up twice. One time, we got this cowboy that loved to do sharp turns. I thought I was going to pass out. Then, the flight attendant went into the cockpit. She must have told him I was terrified cause he smoothed the turns.
              The most terrified I have ever been was when we were landing in Tampa. For noise abatement, the pilot had to put the planes tail up in the air and it felt to me like we were going down. My husband and 2 flight attendants were with me but I was crying all the way into landing. I swore I'd never get on another plane...and I haven't!
              I may take one of those classes airlines have to help those who fear flying. I saw an tv article about it one time. Out of a class of 30, only 15 showed up for the last class, the flight.....and half of them were crying. But, I want to get over it so I can go more places.

Comment

Flying is a wonderful thing. I enjoy it greatly and if i did not want to be an officer then i would go for flight attendant. My husband flew for the first time and was treated to first class thanks to a mess up with the airlines. He is no longer afraid and looks forward to his football trips. I thought he liked it so much until i made the mistake of trying to fly with scheduled stops. I was a little sick of non stop and paying so much money i wanted to actually see some of the country. Well all was fine until we ended up on a flight from cleveland in the snow on a propellor plane that holds maybe 13 people. My husband was so angry and refused to get on the plane. I think he was more scared than anything But being a man he used anger to get his point across that he will never again get on one of these glorified helicopters again. Plus all the noise didn't help. It was the longest 1 1/2 hours i ever spent on a plane. So now he checks all tickets i purchase before agreeing to accompany me on trips.
                "To each his own"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3123 users online. 157 members and 2966 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X