X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• child felon phenomena

Tourist town deals with child felon phenomena
    Kids in Daytona are committing more serious crimes, violence on the rise

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - When the police got a tip that Bonner Elementary was being hit for the second time in a week, they rushed three squad cars to the school. As they were cordoning off the grounds, the burglars emerged — dashing out a front door and across a field.

Norm Kenaiou, a veteran cop, caught one burglar struggling to hop a chain-link fence. The shock came when he spun his suspect around and saw two, doe-like eyes blinking back at him: the eyes of a terrified, 8-year-old girl.

Should he read the child her Miranda rights? Handcuff her? Kenaiou couldn't bring himself to do that. Instead, as he later described it, "I took her hand and, just as a father would lead a child, walked her back to my patrol car."

That another 8-year-old, a 9-year-old, two 12-year-olds and a 14-year-old were also arrested for the New Year's Day break-in was just as troubling. "It was a real gut punch," Kenaiou says.

In this working-class tourist mecca, a party town best known for motor racing and spring-break frivolity, crime has never been an outsider. Today, Daytona's crime rate is more than double Florida's and the nation's, having jumped 13 percent in 2006 alone, according to the most recent state figures available.

But what especially unsettles law enforcement here is that juveniles — some as young as 7 — are being arrested for a larger share of the city's felonies.

Crimes under high noon
    Mike Chitwood flagged the problem two years ago, soon after taking over as Daytona's police chief. It wasn't just that poorer neighborhoods were being pounded by burglaries, or that cars were vanishing from dealership lots, or even that assaults and sex offenses were up.

The crimes were happening under the noon sun — and not far from the city's schools. Initially, Chitwood ordered truancy sweeps. Then he had his officers fingerprint kids caught skipping school. After running the prints through the FBI's national database he saw his suspicions confirmed: Kids were behind the spike.

It didn't take long for the police to link rings of teens to burglaries, car thefts, carjackings and even armed robberies. "We even had kids taking stolen cars out of stolen-car lots," Chitwood says.

But more arrests do not a victory make, as the chief came to learn.

High crime rates
    In a city such as Daytona — where poverty lives among the weeded lots and sagging houses off the palm-lined, neoned strip, behind the triple-bolted doors of tenements in the shadow of the Speedway — teen crime and even preteen crime have proven to be resilient adversaries.

Here and in other cities, chronically high juvenile crime rates — those ranging above the national average of kids under 15 committing 5 percent of violent crimes, 7 percent of robberies and 9 percent of burglaries — fray the patience of judges and politicians and pop up on newspaper front pages. Each spike in offenses prompts a new round of questions, namely:

What will it take to keep our kids out of the juvenile justice system — for some, just a pipeline to the prison system? More aggressive policing? More social services? Harsher sentences? Or something else?

Would programs to modify the behavior of kids as young as 5 help? Or would taxpayers dismiss that as just more nanny government, especially at a time of economic slowdown, when local and state governments are desperate to cut spending?

Chitwood doesn't hesitate in answering.

"I've got 8-, 9-, 10-, 11-year-olds committing burglary and stealing cars now. What are they going to be doing when they're 21?" he says. "Hey, either you pay when they go to state or federal prison, or you're going to clean the crap up now. But somewhere along the line you are going to pay."

more at
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24892799/page/2/
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

scary stuff....
    Oscar Wilde

Comment

if they are pulling that crap when they are THAT young, imagine what they are going to be doing when they are adults...

Comment

I agree with one of my supervisors who used to work Homicide.....

A birth certificate should be revokable at any point until they are 18......"Sorry Johnny....nothing personal, but you just arent working out"
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

These are the ones that never do grow up. Even IF they do live long enough, they don't know how to be an adult 'cause they've never seen one....the lost boys
          The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything

Comment

Its a guarantee that there is one or more adult behind these kid crimes.
            Fagan is alive and well in Daytona, Florida.
            sigpic
            Don't make me gassy.
            You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

I agree that these kids never grow up because they never learn life...in the free world. They learn to live in the prison world and never get the life skills that are needed. Also there are many adults that push the kids into that to reap the benefits and let the kids do the time. sadly the kids grow up and do the same all around.
              Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by adamt35 View Post
                if they are pulling that crap when they are THAT young, imagine what they are going to be doing when they are adults...
                Pushing up daisies.
                “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

Originally posted by nuthead View Post
                  Pushing up daisies.
                  Yeah, hopefully they get on the right track with a good scare.. not likely though cause there is obviously some parental issues here
                  Last edited by adamt35; 06-01-2008, 11:55 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7520 users online. 277 members and 7243 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X