• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad Goof's and Buys 7yr old Mike's Hard Lemonade

Dad's Oversight Lands Son In Foster Care

POSTED: 10:44 am EDT April 28, 2008
    UPDATED: 6:47 pm EDT April 28, 2008

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- An Ann Arbor couple's 7-year-old son ended up in foster care over Mike's Hard Lemonade.

Christopher Ratte, 47, a professor at University of Michigan, claims he accidentally gave his son, Leo, some of the alcoholic beverage at Comerica Park a few weeks ago. He said he didn't even know the alcoholic lemonade existed.

"I got a beer for myself and asked Leo if he wanted a lemonade because there is a sign that said, 'Mike's Lemonade,'" said Ratte.

He said he bought his son the drink at the beginning of the Tigers game and it wasn't until the ninth inning when a security guard noticed the bottle in Leo's hand.

The security guard asked Ratte if he knew it contained alcohol. He said he didn't and when he went to grab the bottle out of the child's hand, the security guard grabbed it first.

"It's just the simple fact that I didn’t know this brand and didn’t suspect some of the lemonade sold in ballparks are alcoholic."

A short time later, Ratte was being questioned by Detroit police at Children's Hospital, where the child was taken by ambulance.

The child said he was feeling a little nauseated, but showed no other symptoms of being intoxicated.

The security guard said the boy drank about 12 ounces of the hard lemonade, which is about 5 percent alcohol.

However, the child's bloodwork detected no trace of alcohol.

The child remained in foster care for two days before his mother, Claire Zimmerman, a U-M architecture professor, was able to take their son home as long as the father relocated to a hotel.

It was two more weeks before the father could move back home. The last hearing closed the case.

Ratte and his wife have filed a formal complaint with the Child Protective Services ombudsman's office stating they thought the treatment was excessive.

"Fine this guy bought this drink for his son. We need to look into it, but we don't need to take the most extreme measures," Ratte said in reference to Child Protective Services.

Ratte has apologized for his mistake.

Tell us what you think about this story.
    Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

I think that's an example of where discretion of the law would be in order. I doubt he was trying to get his kid drunk in public and the kid is OK. Some of these fortified drinks are difficult to spot unless you are familiar with them. I'm sure he will read the fine print from now on.

Comment

Amazing, I agree with JasperST4
      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

I hate the so-called 'child protectors' with every fiber of my being.
        Crap like this is just one more reason.
        sigpic
        Don't make me gassy.
        You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

You gotta love today's society. People can't make a mistake without an extreme overreaction. All of the feel-good, protect us from ourselves legislation is to blame. It has taken responsibility for actions off the individual's shoulders and tried to legislate it. GRRRR..
          [/rant]
          Whatever hits the fan, will not be evenly distributed.
          Some minds are like concrete...Thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
          01 CVPI - Former OKCPD gang unit #0113129
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3037005
          http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g316/russrad25/6c.jpg http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...4-832889-1.jpg
          My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!
          ~Thomas Jefferson

Comment

They guys two sisters, one of which is a social worker and foster parent in another state came to Michigan as fast as they could to try to take custody of the boy and the protective serves employee said they needed a hotel room. Half an hour later they were back after renting a room and the employee said sorry the child is already in another foster home.

The whole thing shows how the system needs an overhaul

Comment

talk about making a mountain out of a molehill!
              sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by nebraska_deputy View Post
                However, the child's bloodwork detected no trace of alcohol.
                WTF?? How can they do ANYTHING without proof that the kid drank alcohol?

I'm thinking that MAYBE the guy who sold the lemonade saw what was going on and gave the kid regular lemonade.

I agree, the whole "CPS" system is ****
                If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Ignored:
                juicesnn4e2

Comment

well, if they didn't get the bloodwork back right then, that might be the reason the case was closed....that and the shear amount of overkill!
                  sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by nebraska_deputy View Post
                    The child said he was feeling a little nauseated...
                    psh, lightweight.

but, yea, I agree this was way overdone.

Comment

Since when is a parent prohibited from giving their child alcohol? In my state a parent can provide their child with alcohol.

Also, an of age spouse can provide their underage spouse with alcohol. All the young married enlisted folks love that one.
                      ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

Comment

Meanwhile here in Florida/Miami, people who neglect and abuse their kids get them back. They don't want parenting classes/or any help and yet they get the kids back! Damn the family service system is so messed up!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FF Expl. Lt. View Post
                          I'm thinking that MAYBE the guy who sold the lemonade saw what was going on and gave the kid regular lemonade.
                          The article states that a guard saw the child holding the bottle. If the kid had been provided with a regular lemonade, the guard would not have thought twice.

This just shows that the whole system is screwed up... He gets his kid taken away for a couple days for an honest mistake, while people who abuse their children get to keep the kids. Makes no sense what-so-ever.
                          "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
                          Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
                          Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Comment

or how about the mothers addicted to crack that we arrest time and time again and they end up getting parenting classes. I have little to no faith in our local DSS. Perhaps they are constrained by laws, I dunno and don't care...they waste far too much on the bureaucracy and not enough on the children that really do need help.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SkepticAlways View Post
                              Since when is a parent prohibited from giving their child alcohol? In my state a parent can provide their child with alcohol.
                              True in many jurisdictions, though usually not in a public place.

This is pathetic on so many levels that it's hard to know where to begin. Perhaps this was the caper of the year for the stadium cop? And CPS must really have a lot of time on their hands in that part of the world, because my experience has been that they only remove if there is blood (and it must be fresh) on the walls and/or Uncle Jimmy actually gets caught red-handed (!) in the act of molestation and/or penetration. This is beyond overkill for a flippin' Hard Lemonade!
                              He who feels punctured must once have been a bubble. --Lao Tzu

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3356 users online. 149 members and 3207 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X