Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many dead bodies have you pulled from a seatbelt?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many dead bodies have you pulled from a seatbelt?

I have never spoken to an officer who has answered anything other than 0. I've had my life saved twice by a seatbelt, and I was not at fault in either accident (wasn't even driving in one of them.)

Also, if you don't mind sharing, do you have a rough estimate on how many bodies you've pulled from car wrecks (unbelted occupants.)
    None
    53.06%
    One
    8.16%
    Two
    12.24%
    Three or more
    26.53%
    Last edited by VWJetta; 04-08-2008, 04:51 AM.

Originally posted by VWJetta View Post
    I have never spoken to an officer who has answered anything other than 0. I've had my life saved twice by a seatbelt, and I was not at fault in either accident (wasn't even driving in one of them.)

Also, if you don't mind sharing, do you have a rough estimate on how many bodies you've pulled from car wrecks (unbelted occupants.
    Seatbelt is not going to save your life doing 130+ on the freeway and crackup, head on into a jersey barrier. He was found UNDER the gas pedal. Do motorcycles count? I remember 7 years ago when the Honda CBR 929's first hit the scene. This guy and another guy on an R-1 were racing. Long story short, the guy popped a wheelie at like 90 mph, lost control and plowed into a telephone pole head on. The engine casing to the bike was found 3 city blocks away, the guys brain was in the middle of the street fully intact about 20 feet from the impact location.

Comment

One...no seatbelt

Comment

Three bodies came to mind. One double fatal where a couple who were both in their 70's hit a tree at 60+ MPH. The other we didn't actually pull from the seatbelt, the ashes were scraped up from the driver's seat. Driver hit a tree sideways and the gas tank ruptured and over a dozen gallons of gas sprayed into the passenger compartment. I stopped counting fatal accidents at 10, and that was 14 years ago. Total has to be over 100 fatal accidents. As the only supervisor working on the midnight I have to respond to them all and am typically second or third unit on the scene. Death notifications are the things I hate the most about this job.

Oh, I thought of a fourth person pulled from a seatbelt. The driver drove into a small grove of trees and a branch broke through the windshield and impaled the driver through the center of his chest.

For the record, a seatbelt has saved me more than once and IMHO only idiots refuse to wear them, but I have had the unpleasant task of undoing a seatbelt at a fatal.

Comment

Seatbelts save lives for a majority of crashes. I worked vehicle rescue for seven years prior to law enforcement, where my primary job responsibility was cutting people out of vehicles (extrication). What many people must realize is that seatbelts are not going to be very effective when speeds are high. Even properly restrained, head/neck trauma is going to be significant when speeds are 60+ mph.

My wife works full-time in EMS and aside from law enforcement, I am a full-time EMT-IV and still teach some extrication classes. I will always wear my seatbelt. Although it isn't guaranteed to save lives, it is highly likely to be effective in most cases when/where you are driving.
          I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

my selt belt saved my life in 06.
            I wont be in a moving car with out one on........
            ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
            Oscar Wilde

Comment

Seat belts save lives, but don't fall for the hype that they are miraculous. Any officer who has not been to a wreck where a body is belted in hasn't been to very many crashes. However, if you're squeamish about it, the Firemen are usually the ones who remove the body.

Comment

I lost count after about year five of my fire and EMS career.

Each body that I pull out of a seatbelt is one too many. If I'm pulling a body out of a seatbelt, it was most likely preventable.

I don't go to many accidents. I go to a lot of crashes though.

Comment

As you can see from the posts- Seat belts aren't magic but they will definetely increase you chance of living and have less injuries.

All the crashes I have worked where the fatals were wearing seatbelts were unsurvivable crashes. Example- when you car is struck from the side by an SUV at highway speed and pushes the driver door flush to the passenger door it doesn't matter- anyone in that passenger compartment is going to die and you won't extricate them from the car- you cut the car out of them.

I am all for seatbelts and would never get in a vehicle without one.
                  ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

I have also lost count. There are alot. The only thing a seat belt is going to do is keep you in the car!!!

Comment

Only live bodies cut out of seat-belts. Dead ones on the road & through the windshield...

Well, except one... played chicken with a train, seat-belt wouldn't have made a difference either way....

It's all about putting the odds in your favor, like wearing your vest - not a guarantee of safety, but better than not wearing it.
                      Last edited by andy5746; 04-08-2008, 11:04 PM.
                      LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Comment

Originally posted by Woffski View Post
                        The only thing a seat belt is going to do is keep you in the car!!!
                        I strongly disagree- and I have lost count / can't remember all the fatals I have been at or worked.

An example is my last fatal- a 17 year old who wasn't wearing his seatbelt- stayed in the vehicle but he fractured his skull on the A post, which could not have happened if he had been wearing his seatbelt. As it was he flew around the passenger compartment while the vehicle rolled- sustaining a fatal brain injury.
                        ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

I would have to agree with KAA951. Last year I responded with one of our Traffic Homicide Investigators to a double fatality on the Interstate. Expadition flipped and the driver had on his seatbelt, his head came out the driver's window as the vehicle rolled over and crushed him. His wife wasn't belted in and was ejected. She landed in the on coming lanes and a Big Rig slid to a stop right over her. Not a pretty sight.

Motorcycles are the worst!!! We had a guy on a croch rocket running about 90mph when this lady pulled out infront of him. The bike hit her in the driver's door, flipped the car upside down. The rider died on impact due to his face contacting the top of the door and roof. The driver died later, she was pinned to the headliner on the passenger side of the car. The bike was stuck in the side of the car like an arrow. One of the craziest things I ever saw!!!

That's probably why I don't ride bikes!!!
                          "You have the right to remain silent....so shut the **** UP!!!!"

"Is that Walter? He scares me....He's got gas!" The Dead Terrorist/ Jeff Dunham

Comment

driver died last thurs night in a 4 fatality wreck. he was wearing his seatbelt.
                            Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

One. She was T-boned by an idiot who blew right through a stop sign doing about 60, and the impact snapped her neck.

Seat belts improve the odds greatly, but they won't save you from everything. Nonetheless, I never drive without them.
                              Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9686 users online. 351 members and 9335 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X