300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanners...hobbyists/educated ??

I purchased a portable radio scanner to get used to listening to calls as I will be going to the academy soon.

I no NOTHING about scanners and have read the directions to the best of my ability. I pick up the siganl somewhat but it cuts out. I want to increase the signal as much a possible.

I will usually be at home when I use it so it could be relatively big (compared to the small 6-inch antenna that is on there now).

For those who are in the "know":
    What is available to buy? (it is a BNC connection)

Also...

It seems as if I am only getting the CAR's transmission and not the dispatch (usually at least). Why is that? Could dispatch be on one transmission frequency and patrol unit on another frequency?

If so...how can I get BOTH at the same time?

Thanks in advance

DC

CHP cars and dispatch are on separate frequencies. Radio Shack has a book with all the frequencies. There are also web pages. Sorry, I don't have the URLs.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

How would one hear BOTH? Since you can't be on both frequencies at once? Do you have to have TWO scanners?

Comment

When i had a scanner, it was constantly scanning the frequencies. it would stop at the one that was active, you'd hear the transmission, it would pause a second (maybe 2), and then scan again. that way you'd get most of the answer (hopefully), if you had that frequency programmed in also. this was years ago so i dont know how they may have changed.

there was also a control that you could set to make it more or less sensitive, therefore not missing transmissions. but sometimes you had to deal with it stopping and just picking up static or mic clicks.
        "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

Congrats on heading off to the academy soon. You'll enjoy it.

Another reason you might only be hearing the cars is because you are listening to a repeater input frequency. The cars talk in on one frequency and their signal along with dispatches is broadcast on the main frequency. All you have to program is the main frequency and you'll hear everybody. Buy the radio shack book and program all the frequencies for the agency you want to listen to. Then figure out which frequencies are used regularly then delete the rest.

Interestingly the CHP in my area is now using a repeated system so you can now hear cars from all over the place on the same frequency dispatch transmits from.
          If you see me running try to keep up!

Comment

Make sure your scanner has trunk tracking capabilities. Basically a trunked system is a group of channels that you use. Say there are 40 channels, when the mic is clicked, it takes the next available channel. You need to find out what system your department is on and then get the radio shack book...program all possible channels....It's a lot of work but it's worth it once you get there and believe me...I've done it

Comment

CHP in my area, for instance, uses 42.24 and 42.54 MHz. I forget which one is dispatch and which is mobiles. To hear both, make sure the delay feature is switched off. It's been years since I listened to a scanner, but my 18-year old Radio Shack scanner has a delay feature which holds the channel for about two seconds to ensure hearing the return transmission. Their handhelds are on 150-something Mhz and are actually extenders. That is, they transmit to the car, which rebroadcasts on the VHF-low frequency to dispatch. That system is used due to the long range necessary to reach their dispatch centers. LeeRoy mentioned that they are finally beginning to use repeaters. I could never figure out why they haven't always used them.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4501 users online. 315 members and 4186 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X