300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The talk on SALSA!!!

How spicy do you like your salsa? Mild? Medium? Hot? .... or maybe you don't like Salsa?

Do you make your own? If so, what secret ingredients do you put in.... that you want to share!!

If store bought, what brand do you mainly get?

I LOVE medium salsa, especially on a taco salad but don't eat it often. Heck, I never even buy it. I should change that.

Comment

I take hot salsa and mix is 2:1 or 3:1 (if others are going to be eating it) with 'tuong ot toi viet-nam' chili garlic sauce, a fiercely spicy chili (and garlic, obviously) sauce available in asian groceries. It comes in half-pound, one-pound, and two-pound plastic jars and squeeze bottles, is really cheap, and is *really hot*. I brought some to a family gathering and my uncle thought it was salsa, took a chip, scooped up a huge gob, and popped it in his mouth.

For a few minutes, we thought we might have to take him to the hospital.

Seriously, though, this stuff is basically minced asian "bird chiles" and garlic. Good stuff, but needs to be cut with salsa if you're going to consume more than a few tablespoons...
      Sarcasm: Just another valuable service I provide.

Comment

I much prefer my guacamole smothered melted cheese nachos!

Otherwise I go for mild, I'm such a wimp!
        Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.
        -Mark Twain

Comment

I've never made salsa but I always have some at our local Mexican restaurant. I can only take the mild stuff.

Comment

When I went on Weight Watchers, chips and salsa became my comfort food.

I like mine strong enough to power the Space Shuttle.

I don't make mine homemade but I love Chi-Chi's. It's not near as good as in the restaurant, but it's still good.

For fresh, it's gotta be the local owned AUTHENTIC Mex place. Their salsa is great, but their guac is even better.

My wife used to work with a lady that made homemade salsa. She wouldn't divulge the family secrets, but it was AWESOME!!! Mrs. Lawdog would bring it home and I'd let it sit in the fridge for a few more days to get that just right degree of heat.

Comment

quote:
              I don't make mine homemade but I love Chi-Chi's. It's not near as good as in the restaurant, but it's still good.
              There are still Chi-Chi's near you?

Comment

Nah, but BJ's, Publix, Wally World and Winn Dixie all sell the bottled stuff. I haven't had Chi-Chi's since I moved from VA in '90. Fried ice cream...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Comment

Y'know, I worked there for two months and I never got around to that stuff ... the chile con queso was where I spent all of my time

Comment

This must be the friggin' Twilight Zone.

We've got a Canadian starting a thread about salsa and the majority of the replies are from the North!

Everyone knows salsa ain't in a jar from the store and if you ain't a Mexican you can't make it!

I get mine from a friend who got the recipe from her grandma. And grandma wasn't born north of the Rio Grande.

"Store Bought Salsa!" (Walking away shaking my head)
                    "Trust me. I'm from the government, I'm here to help."

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by KenM:
                      This must be the friggin' Twilight Zone.

We've got a Canadian starting a thread about salsa and the majority of the replies are from the North!

Ya'll from the South from where I stand!!!

Comment

Store bought salsa garbage. I haven't found one yet that was any good, they're all too wimpy.
                        I like salsa to be HOT enough to instill a fear of sitting in upholstered furniture.
                        There is a "true" Mexican resturaunt just down the street from my house that has the good stuff but they don't sell it outright.

When I used to work P/T as a CO at the State Park the visiting "southerners" would sometimes ask: "Hey meester, would you like a pepper?". "Sure" I said, and after about three fresh Jalapenos they would say: "Hey meester, would you like something to drink?". "No thanks, but I'll have another pepper if you don't mind". Their expressions were usually amusing.
                        " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

my favorite salsa believe it or not is the HOT salsa that they serve in the Chi-Chi's restaraunt. the Chi-Chi's jar stuff just doesn't taste the same. it has a real nice spicy garden flavor to it and you can really taste the cilantro in it. THAT'S what sets it off.

for as much as i like to cook, i'm surprised i haven't tried making my own yet.

207 said: "I like salsa to be HOT enough to instill a fear of sitting in upholstered furniture."

that's a classic line. i'll have to remember that!!

[ 05-01-2003, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: nickg ]
                          I'll post, You argue.

Comment

Just skimming this, Mike is the only one that came close to posting a recipe.

RECIPES! POST RECIPES!

Ken-what's yours? Put up or shut up!
                            People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

quote:
                              Originally posted by Scratchy:
                              Pace's Cilantro Chunky Salsa is good stuff.
                              I used to buy Chi Chi's green colored one, but haven't seen it in the store for years.

That Pace stuff ain't salsa.

I make my own. Very spicy with my homegrown chiles.
                              Bill R

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4596 users online. 310 members and 4286 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X