Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It Time for a National Police Force?

Some fellow officers and I were discussing the pros and cons of having a national police force. I thought I'd throw it out to everyone for comments.

I'd like to see some of the pros and cons you guys come up with that we may have neglected to see.

Nope. Too much power, which could equal to some serious corruption that would be hard to ignore. I can already imagine the equivelant of a Coup d'état on a law enforcement level.

Each state has their own laws. It would defeat the purpose of State Police/Highway Patrol, and make it very difficult for officers to know every state's laws since they would have unlimited geographical and legal jurisdiction.
    Last edited by mp1161; 03-13-2008, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Didnt we already talk about this ?
      sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by gare442 View Post
        Some fellow officers and I were discussing the pros and cons of having a national police force. I thought I'd throw it out to everyone for comments.

I'd like to see some of the pros and cons you guys come up with that we may have neglected to see.
        It's already been tried. Can you say KGB?

Comment

Pros? You can transfer anywhere in the country

cons? EVERYTHING ELSE. I don't even know how they would be able to allocate man power without getting a community, or a city, or a state upset...

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Is It Time for a National Police Force?
            In a word, no.

Besides, the Constitution would stand squarely in the way. It's not a power vested with the federal government.
            "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

I think the FBI qualifies.

As far as a national police force enforcing State laws? Doesn't make sense.

Comment

already been talked about months back. Not going to happen and not very many pros even if law was changed to make it possible

Comment

Not only no, but **** NO. As someone already posted, can you say KGB?....or worse, SD?
                  The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by charlydevo
                    The FBI is not a police force. They do not police. They, and other federal agents wear raid jackets that say "police" on them. That's only so people understand that they have the authority to do whatever they are doing during enforcement operations. It doesn't insinuate that they conduct policing.
                    Actually, if you read most state codes, they empower Federal LEOs as police officers in most states, but not all. In New York, Federal LEOs are give police status and can do anything a police officer can do. Some states specifically prohibit this as well.

I would prefer a national police force just for the ability to move around and more promotional opportunities. The bad part would be the low pay that would result.

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                      Not only no, but **** NO. As someone already posted, can you say KGB?
                      KGB didn't deal with law enforcement. The "Militsiya", i.e. the Interior Ministry did. And they sucked at police work. Besides, we have laws that vary from state to state, from municipality to municipality. The locals handle local and state business. The feds in all their forms deal with enforcing federal laws. So I agree, there's no need for a huge bureaucracy of stupidity and inefficiency that would be created by some national police force.

Comment

I cant think of a reason to need a national police force, every time the need arose the national guard would suit the purpose just fine.
                        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Didnt say the KGB dealt with LE....that is what a national police force COULD become though.....

I dont trust ANY govenment with that much power.....even one like ours....
                          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

No, we don't and WON'T EVER "need" a national police force.

God help us the day they try to set that up...

As a few have stated above.... can you say "KGB"??

"YOUR PAPERS, PLEASE"
                            1*

Comment

Cons: Unconstitutional

Nuff said.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6347 users online. 261 members and 6086 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X