300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checks going thru as debits

Has anyone come across this yet? Ok. 1. The reason I write a check is so that I can buy what I need the night BEFORE payday. Who doesn't? I just saw at the supermarket that I go to, they are taking checks and putting them through a machine and handing the checks back to customers as a receipt of the debit. ?!

That sux...Maybe I'll switch stores! I wonder how many people since they switched have had to put their groceries back!?
    "It is easier for a king to have a lie believed than a beggar to spread the truth."---Robert Strecker

I have noticed a few fast food chains around here doing that like Taco Bell and KFC.

Comment

Wish I could help, but we haven't written a check at a store in over eight years. We use our credit card for all purchases, and write one check to the credit card company when we get the bill. Makes it very easy!
      Retired

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by retired:
        Wish I could help, but we haven't written a check at a store in over eight years. We use our credit card for all purchases, and write one check to the credit card company when we get the bill. Makes it very easy!

why not just use a debit card and avoid paying MORE money by paying interest than you would as if you were writing a check? why the hell should the credit card companies make more money off of you? one way or the other you have to pay so why give it to Visa??
        I'll post, You argue.

Comment

I have a credit card which doesn't charge interest on purchases until after the statement due-date: if you pay in full, you don't get charged any interest. I also get a 5% rebate at the end of the year.

(Not that I pay it off in time, I just thought I'd mention ... )

Comment

My wife and I use a system of both- the credit cards for "run around" stuff like gas and fast food, and the debit card for normal household expenses like groceries. Paper mail-in bills and old school people like my barber are the only people who get checks from us anymore.

If you pay the card off every month, you don't incur any interest, at least on our card. Plus it definitely helps our credit to have credit cards in good standing.
            I am disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious? - Mr. Sparkle

Comment

nickg,,

quote:
              Originally posted by nickg:
              quote:
              Originally posted by retired:

why not just use a debit card and avoid paying MORE money by paying interest than you would as if you were writing a check? why the hell should the credit card companies make more money off of you? one way or the other you have to pay so why give it to Visa??
              I don't pay any interest to the credit card company. When the bill arrives, I write one check and pay the entire amount. There isn't any interest charge if you pay the bill in full each month. I haven't paid any interest in eight years. I also get frequent flyer miles with the credit card.
              Retired

Comment

Haven't really noticed. I always pay cash; don't have a credit card. I do have a checking account, but haven't had actual paper checks in, um, about two years. Everything's either direct-debit'd (most bills), or I pay cash, or I use PayPal. About once a month I have to get a money order for something, but otherwise I operate purely on a cash basis...

Dang, but that makes me sound like a dealer. [Frown]
                Sarcasm: Just another valuable service I provide.

Comment

I have noticed these machines at many of the "chain" gas stations.
                  Drug Recognition Expert

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by Tprspouse:
                    The reason I write a check is so that I can buy what I need the night BEFORE payday. Who doesn't?

I don't know about your state, but in California it's illegal to present a check while knowing there isn't enough funds to cover it at the moment. Most stores will post signs and stickers at the cash register to remind you of this.

If you run a bit short just before payday, that's what credit cards are for. Just make sure to pay them off in full at the next statement, otherwise you get socked with a pretty hefty finance charge.

With the rise of debit machines, I'm surprised merchants still take personal checks nowadays. There's too much inherent risk in taking a check (even from a known customer), and the store's losses from this are passed on to customers like me. It's for this reason that I don't blame stores from doing things like direct debit; it's to keep costs down.

I especially hate it when someone insists on using a check while in the Express Checkout Lane

Comment

I'm a master of mailing bills on Thursday that are due on Monday, while I won't have enough to cover them until I get my paychecks deposited on Friday ...

... well, I was, but then my bank started holding my paychecks for five business days, so now I've got American Express and MBNA up my ***. Time to find a new bank ...

Comment

Take for instance...our mortgage is due on the first of every month. We get paid tonight. I mailed out my check 2 days ago. We have direct deposit. I have money always in my savings account ready to move over to checking if the need arises, but I usually write a check because it's easier than moving things around. I have never written a check knowing that I have zip to cover it anywhere and I have never written a check knowing that it will bounce.

I could get a headache saving x amt of money for mortgage that is due in 2 weeks, etc. etc. and for all my other big bills but I usually just pay it even if it means sending the check a few days early so that it arrives on the same day the money is credited to our account. My loss if for some reason the transaction didn't go through.
                        "It is easier for a king to have a lie believed than a beggar to spread the truth."---Robert Strecker

Comment

I know what you mean. My rent is due the 5th of the month at the latest, so I'm going to put it in the mail on Saturday. Usually, I won't have a problem: I get all three paychecks between Thursday and Friday, and I'd usually deposit them on Saturday as well. But now they won't be available until NEXT Friday, AND my rent check will go through Wednesday at the latest!

Do most grocery stores cash checks? I don't have a problem with cash being available the next day ...

Comment

I pay for the groceries with that old fashioned stuff known as cash. The only time I write checks at any store is if I have forgotten to go to the ATM and don't have enough cash.

Comment

AMEX- I use it for almost everything. And pay it every month (mainly because I have to!). And I use it for all of my internet purchases. They are great if unwanted charges show up.
                              "All the people like us are we,
                              And everyone else is They"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5511 users online. 309 members and 5202 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X