X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spammail.dj
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2007

COP - What does it really mean?

COP: The usage of the word "cop" to refer to law enforcement derived from the verb cop, which means to take or seize, or the word "copper", a slang term used in reference to the copper metal sheriff badges were made of.

What is the meaning of the word COP in todays society? Depending on the state you live in what specific field in LE must you be in to be considered a COP? Are Probation, Parole, and Correctional Officers considered COPS? I would like to hear your opinions but I'd also appreciate some solid facts on the subject as well.

The reason why I posted this thread is because last semester I had an opportunity to visited several CDCR prisons and Probation Departments in Souther California. I also had an opportunity to speak with a lot of people that worked within these departments and every single correctional, parole, and probation officer I met referred to themselves as COPS. Are they all lying? From my understanding all LE peace officers that are POST certified, even the ones with limited authority, are for the most part considered COPS. In addition, every academic professor within the criminal justice field I have spoken with has told me the same thing.

I appreciate all of your input. Keep it coming...

P.S. When you post a reply please specify which state you are talking about.
    Last edited by Spammail.dj; 03-06-2008, 08:21 PM.
  • -Erik-
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2007

COP = Constable On Patrol.

That is how we get the word Cop. Its an acronynm for the above.
    Last edited by -Erik-; 03-06-2008, 04:14 PM. Reason: Clarification
    This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

• VA Dutch
      Former Deputy Sheriff
      • Feb 2006

COP is an acronym for "Constable On Patrol" (at least from what I remember from years and years ago, as well as what they said at the academy).

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

• ateamer
        Salty Dog
        • Aug 2000

Cop does not stand for Constable On Patrol, and it is not a reference to copper uniform buttons. It dates back centuries to a word - I believe a Dutch word "capere" - meaning "to capture or grab". It has been well documented on several sites.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

• Frank Booth

I believe that if you research the etymology, you'll find that this one makes the most sense:

COP: The usage of the word "cop" to refer to law enforcement derived from the verb cop, which means to take or seize
          And a copper is naturally one who cops.

Comment

• 99 Fenix
            bird of prey
            • Mar 2007

we were told the badges and buttons were copper made as well
            dubbed code name: Alien #69

Comment

• Bearcat357
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

I was taught at my Academy "Cop" was short for Copper which was used on the buttons and for the Badge on the uniforms......

Hence the name Cop or Copper is used to describe Police Officers.....

Comment

• ateamer
                Salty Dog
                • Aug 2000

Obviously there are some academy instructors out there who don't know as much as they think they do.
                Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

• Frank Booth

Under that mentality, a city police department's detectives can't be called cops.
                  That's why they call em "dicks".

Comment

• Spammail.dj
                    Forum Member
                    • Oct 2007

The reason why I posted this thread is because last semester I had an opportunity to visited several CDCR prisons and Probation Departments in Souther California. I also had an opportunity to speak with a lot of people that worked within these departments and every single correctional, parole, and probation officer I met referred to themselves as COPS. Are they all lying? From my understanding all LE peace officers that are POST certified, even the ones with limited authority, are for the most part considered COPS. In addition, every academic professor within the criminal justice field I have spoken with has told me the same thing.

I appreciate all of your input. Keep it coming...
                    Last edited by Spammail.dj; 03-06-2008, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Frank Booth

I also had an opportunity to speak with a lot of people that worked within these departments and every single correctional, parole, and probation officer I met referred to themselves as COPS. Are they all lying?

That's OK, some cops refer to themselves as "operators", as if they were Navy SEALS....doesn't make them Navy SEALS...

Comment

• ask80
                        Forum Member
                        • Jan 2007

COP = Community Oriented Policing.

Comment

• robeans
                          Forum Member
                          • Jan 2007

Hey Spammail.dj, stop posting this crap topic in every thread, really.

Comment

• Bushranger
                            Forum Member
                            • May 2006

This debate could go on for ever. However at the academy I was taught the acronym COPS and that stood for: Consider all Options, Practice Safety. To that end, my aim at the start of each shift is to go home healthy and uninjured!
                            If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence of your attempt.

Comment

• DAL
                              "Official Non-Person"
                              • Dec 2005

I have seen several proposed etymologies for "cop."

Whatever the origin, the term is slang. Slang words rarely have precise meanings, and their meanings tend to vary according to time and location. This one is no exception.

In other words, your effort to get a precise definition of "cop" is doomed to failure.
                              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18723 users online. 41 members and 18682 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...