Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bushranger
    replied
    This debate could go on for ever. However at the academy I was taught the acronym COPS and that stood for: Consider all Options, Practice Safety. To that end, my aim at the start of each shift is to go home healthy and uninjured!

Leave a comment:

• robeans
    replied
    Hey Spammail.dj, stop posting this crap topic in every thread, really.

Leave a comment:

• ask80
    replied
    COP = Community Oriented Policing.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I also had an opportunity to speak with a lot of people that worked within these departments and every single correctional, parole, and probation officer I met referred to themselves as COPS. Are they all lying?

That's OK, some cops refer to themselves as "operators", as if they were Navy SEALS....doesn't make them Navy SEALS...

Leave a comment:

• Spammail.dj
    replied
    The reason why I posted this thread is because last semester I had an opportunity to visited several CDCR prisons and Probation Departments in Souther California. I also had an opportunity to speak with a lot of people that worked within these departments and every single correctional, parole, and probation officer I met referred to themselves as COPS. Are they all lying? From my understanding all LE peace officers that are POST certified, even the ones with limited authority, are for the most part considered COPS. In addition, every academic professor within the criminal justice field I have spoken with has told me the same thing.

I appreciate all of your input. Keep it coming...
    Last edited by Spammail.dj; 03-06-2008, 09:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Under that mentality, a city police department's detectives can't be called cops.
    That's why they call em "dicks".

Leave a comment:

• ateamer
    replied
    Obviously there are some academy instructors out there who don't know as much as they think they do.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    I was taught at my Academy "Cop" was short for Copper which was used on the buttons and for the Badge on the uniforms......

Hence the name Cop or Copper is used to describe Police Officers.....

Leave a comment:

• 99 Fenix
    replied
    we were told the badges and buttons were copper made as well

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I believe that if you research the etymology, you'll find that this one makes the most sense:

COP: The usage of the word "cop" to refer to law enforcement derived from the verb cop, which means to take or seize
    And a copper is naturally one who cops.

Leave a comment:

• ateamer
    replied
    Cop does not stand for Constable On Patrol, and it is not a reference to copper uniform buttons. It dates back centuries to a word - I believe a Dutch word "capere" - meaning "to capture or grab". It has been well documented on several sites.

Leave a comment:

• VA Dutch
    replied

COP is an acronym for "Constable On Patrol" (at least from what I remember from years and years ago, as well as what they said at the academy).

Leave a comment:

• -Erik-
    replied
    COP = Constable On Patrol.

That is how we get the word Cop. Its an acronynm for the above.
    Last edited by -Erik-; 03-06-2008, 05:14 PM. Reason: Clarification

Leave a comment:

• Spammail.dj
    started a topic COP - What does it really mean?

COP - What does it really mean?

COP: The usage of the word "cop" to refer to law enforcement derived from the verb cop, which means to take or seize, or the word "copper", a slang term used in reference to the copper metal sheriff badges were made of.

What is the meaning of the word COP in todays society? Depending on the state you live in what specific field in LE must you be in to be considered a COP? Are Probation, Parole, and Correctional Officers considered COPS? I would like to hear your opinions but I'd also appreciate some solid facts on the subject as well.

The reason why I posted this thread is because last semester I had an opportunity to visited several CDCR prisons and Probation Departments in Souther California. I also had an opportunity to speak with a lot of people that worked within these departments and every single correctional, parole, and probation officer I met referred to themselves as COPS. Are they all lying? From my understanding all LE peace officers that are POST certified, even the ones with limited authority, are for the most part considered COPS. In addition, every academic professor within the criminal justice field I have spoken with has told me the same thing.

I appreciate all of your input. Keep it coming...

P.S. When you post a reply please specify which state you are talking about.
    Last edited by Spammail.dj; 03-06-2008, 09:21 PM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8133 users online. 212 members and 7921 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X