300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spammail.dj View Post
    What is the meaning of the word COP in todays society? Depending on the state you live in what specific field in LE must you be in to be considered a COP? Are Probation, Parole, and Correctional Officers considered COPS?

The reason why I posted this thread is because last semester I had an opportunity to visited several CDCR prisons and Probation Departments in Souther California. I also had an opportunity to speak with a lot of people that worked within these departments and every single correctional, parole, and probation officer I met referred to themselves as COPS. Are they all lying? From my understanding all LE peace officers that are POST certified, even the ones with limited authority, are for the most part considered COPS. In addition, every academic professor within the criminal justice field I have spoken with has told me the same thing.
    The term Cop is merely slang, while Police Officer is one of many different job titles used to describe someone who enforces the law. In California, the real question is, irrespective of one's job title, do they possess the powers of a "Peace Officer," which includes the ability to carry a weapon, make arrests, serve warrants, conduct searches, seize property and perform a number of other tasks that civilians cannot legally carry out.

In response to your question, State Correctional Officers, State Parole Officers and County Probation Officers in California are all peace officers, just like city police officers and county sheriff's deputies. The major difference between them is that each has a different role or function within the criminal justice system.

If you are curious, a list of California peace officers may be found at: http://info.sen.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisg...ction=retrieve It starts at Section 830 and is lengthy.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Do you need a hug? Let it go...sad. Oh, and despite your spamming of the boards...still not a cop. Quit putting this up everywhere it is a rule violation. As you are not law enforcement be careful where you post on these boards..as they are for COPS and CO's alike, your not in the club yet little guy.

"Anyone is capable of anything"

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be".

-Peter Gibbons
      Office Space

Comment

When in doubt, go to Snopes.

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/cop.asp
        "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
          The term Cop is merely slang, while Police Officer is one of many different job titles used to describe someone who enforces the law. In California, the real question is, irrespective of one's job title, do they possess the powers of a "Peace Officer," which includes the ability to carry a weapon, make arrests, serve warrants, conduct searches, seize property and perform a number of other tasks that civilians cannot legally carry out.

In response to your question, State Correctional Officers, State Parole Officers and County Probation Officers in California are all peace officers, just like city police officers and county sheriff's deputies. The major difference between them is that each has a different role or function within the criminal justice system.

If you are curious, a list of California peace officers may be found at: http://info.sen.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisg...ction=retrieve It starts at Section 830 and is lengthy.
          Good post i agree. As for CO's they can do all this described above CDCR has different DIV like one of them is ISU- Investigated services unit, SERT, GANG and DRUG, K9, transport, and patrol if needed for escape or to serve warrants. All this info is available on pacovilla.
          Last edited by proctor; 03-07-2008, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Why can't police officers be called constables. Sounds cooler and unique.

Comment

In Australia, they are Constables. Until they reach SGT rank anyway...

And i think you can only call yourself a COP if you're a sworn POLICE OFFICER. No if's, no buts.
              Oderint Dum Meutant

Tips for new cops - Click

Comment

from Old English law: " Citizen on patrol", long before established forces were in effect, localites walked the street at night they also lit the street lamps and put them out at daylight

Comment

Don't know where it came form, and don't care... just know that I am one
                  LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                    I have seen several proposed etymologies for "cop."

Whatever the origin, the term is slang. Slang words rarely have precise meanings, and their meanings tend to vary according to time and location. This one is no exception.

In other words, your effort to get a precise definition of "cop" is doomed to failure.
                    DAL,
                    THANK YOU, I agree it has to be slang in most towns, I know a website from ohio that refers to Officers as the PO, PO, I guess it is better than some things we hear. Such as "Pigs, Smokeys,etc". People who dont fight the public should not have a slang for the people who are fighting for our safety as well as theirs

Comment

I look it from the criminals perspective. It doesn't make a damn bit of difference who slaps the cuffs on you, from a City Cop, Trooper, Detective, Deputy Sheriff, Constable, Park Ranger whatever. the second those cuffs on and you are behind bars, guess what? at the end of the day, the cops got you.
                      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by AZLawDawg View Post
                        I look it from the criminals perspective. It doesn't make a damn bit of difference who slaps the cuffs on you, from a City Cop, Trooper, Detective, Deputy Sheriff, Constable, Park Ranger whatever. the second those cuffs on and you are behind bars, guess what? at the end of the day, the cops got you.
                        I guess alot of it depends on enviroment too. Conversation last night during my shift.

Me: Whats that smell?
                        Inmate 1: IDK Boss, it smells like weed!
                        Inmate 2: Naw, that aint weed. Ain't nobody smokin weed in here.
                        Me: (Inmate 2) You been smoking again?
                        Inmate 2: Sometimes, but yall aint never gonna catch me.
                        Me: When's the last time you smoked weed?
                        Inmate 2: bout 2 hours ago.
                        (As I'm hooking Inmate 2 up to move him to medical to give a urine sample before locking him down)
                        Inmate 1: Man, how you gonna say something that damn stupid to the cops.

I would say the term "cop" just generally applies to whatever LE entity a civilian is dealing with at that particular time in their lives, although in general I would agree it applies to street guys, and not CO's.

PS: While we're on this subject, would all you "COPS" stop arguing with me and just cooperate when I take your guns and tazers and OC sprays away when you come to my facility to pickup inmates for various reasons? Some of yall argue worse than the inmates I deal with.
                        Last edited by GADOC07; 03-10-2008, 06:50 AM.
                        I've heard it said if you put your hands in your pocket you will wake up with both hands still in your pockets. This is blatant dishonesty on that training officer's part. I can assure you they will pull at least one hand out of your pocket to put the IV in, if you're lucky enough to still be alive.

GPSTC Training LT

Stay Alert To Stay Alive!

Comment

Originally posted by GADOC07 View Post

PS: While we're on this subject, would all you "COPS" stop arguing with me and just cooperate when I take your guns and tazers and OC sprays away when you come to my facility to pickup inmates for various reasons? Some of yall argue worse than the inmates I deal with.
                          Why are you asking for their OC and Tasers to be put away? The only thing that we cannot bring in is ammo and our firearms, everything else is fair game.

Comment

Originally posted by Stewie View Post
                            Why are you asking for their OC and Tasers to be put away? The only thing that we cannot bring in is ammo and our firearms, everything else is fair game.
                            Our LOP states to remove OC, Tazers, Firearms, ammunition and handcuff keys. I have no idea why. We used to take your ASP's too, btw. I generally "miss" the OC and handcuff keys though, unless you give me reason to notice you.

Basically the way I operate is like this, if you're respectful and professional, I'll be respectful and professional, and grant a little PC to make both of our lives a little easier. I don't want to hassle yall any more than I have to, so just work with me. Besides, its not like yall don't lock my weapon down when I come to your facility to bring one back "home" LOL.
                            I've heard it said if you put your hands in your pocket you will wake up with both hands still in your pockets. This is blatant dishonesty on that training officer's part. I can assure you they will pull at least one hand out of your pocket to put the IV in, if you're lucky enough to still be alive.

GPSTC Training LT

Stay Alert To Stay Alive!

Comment

__________________________________________________ __________________________
                              Last edited by jfoote85; 08-25-2011, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Well there's 2 minutes of my life wasted that I will never get back!
                                Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10777 users online. 520 members and 10257 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X