Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disclose I'm Carrying to LEO on Standard Traffic Stop?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Disclose I'm Carrying to LEO on Standard Traffic Stop?

    hey guys...non-leo here looking for opinions on whether or not i should volunteer the info that i'm concealed-carrying during a routine traffic stop (speeding, busted tail light, etc....).

    i'm in florida and am not required to disclose. i just always think that, if i don't, and if i have to maybe lean over to get something out of the glovebox or whatever and my shirt rides up and exposes my pistol, what's this leo gonna think? on the other hand, what if said leo just pulls me for a busted tail light or whatever and i start right off by saying 'good morning officer....here's my license and insurance and i've got a glock 19 on my hip with a round in the pipe'?.

    i read lots of civilian ccw forums and this debate is just all over the place. any suggestions/opinions?

    thx

  • #2
    Make it known. If you are carrying legally, then you wont have any problems. Just say "Officer you should know that I am carrying ____ and it is located _____". The officer should take it from there.
    This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

    M-11

    Comment


    • #3
      Try looking here,

      http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83825

      http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83825

      There are more, it shows up like every two weeks or so.

      Comment


      • #4
        I always appreciate it when people let me know. What I like to see, with your hands firmly planted on the steering wheel, look me in the eyes (so i can get a good read on you) and say something to the effect of..."I just wanted you to know I have a CCW and am currently carrying (be sure not to move your hands at this point). The officer will probably ask you where your gun is and go from there.
        Walking the line...all give some...some give all!

        Comment


        • #5
          deleted----
          Last edited by cbr600_kitty; 10-16-2008, 10:18 PM.
          'Evil always wins when Good does nothing'-Anonymous

          Comment


          • #6
            If you have a CHL and are legally carrying what could it possibly hurt to let the officer know that you are?? In TX you are supposed to present your CHL when you're stopped and armed.

            Comment


            • #7
              It's up to you. The states that require disclosure do so not for the officers' safety but for yours. If you can reach for your wallet without looking like you're going for the gun in your waistband, knock yourself out. If, however, there is the slightest possibility that the officer may see your gun and think you're going for it, I'd be inclided to say something to him well before you get two to the chest and one to the head.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Frank Booth View Post
                It's up to you. The states that require disclosure do so not for the officers' safety but for yours. If you can reach for your wallet without looking like you're going for the gun in your waistband, knock yourself out. If, however, there is the slightest possibility that the officer may see your gun and think you're going for it, I'd be inclided to say something to him well before you get two to the chest and one to the head.
                Very well said.

                It's for your own sake.......I'd rather know before you reach for your wallet....because If I'm surprised and believe you are reaching for it....ya might not wake up tomorrow.
                especially in Florida.
                Last edited by deputy x 2; 03-10-2008, 06:08 PM.
                This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

                Comment


                • #9
                  +1
                  Better safe than sorry. You can stand behind that,"I don't have to disclose" argument all you want, but it's not bulletproof.
                  "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Here you have to disclose, it's required. When I run your license it will tell me if you have a CCW, and I will be returning, with a back, to find out why you're not following the law.

                    In your situation where it's not required, I still would suggest you do it. What harm is there in you telling an LEO that you're carrying a legal weapon? If I'm carrying off duty and get pulled over the first thing I tell the officer is that I'm an off duty LEO and I have my weapon. It should be the same for a citizen IMO.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      you'll never see it......

                      Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                      Very well said.

                      It's for your own sake.......I'd rather know before you reach for your wallet....because If I'm surprised and believe you are reaching for it....ya might not wake up tomorrow.
                      especially in Florida.

                      carry my wallet in left rear pocket and glock 19 iwb about 4 o'clock. if you're just popping me for a tail light or rolling stop or whatever and are standing at the driver's side window, i'll get to my wallet without you ever knowing i'm armed.

                      would you rather i go ahead and disclose (sorry to all the other guys that responded in that other thread...i know i'm beating a dead horse, but can't help myself).

                      another response in this thread said 'what's the harm in disclosing if you're legal....even if state law doesn't require it?'. no harm, i just don't think i should have to be disarmed.....would certainly hand over if the officer told me to, i just wouldn't like it.

                      thx for the input.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Who said we'd disarm you? That's a big assumption on your part. You have to realize that the reaction you're going to get if we see your weapon, and you haven't told us, is one you're probably not going to like, and in my case, you will end up outside the car and in handcuffs.

                        You're welcome to take the chance that it won't be noticed, just know what the consequences of that will be if you do..all because you don't like the idea that you may have to surrender your weapon for 10 minutes during a traffic stop.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bigoldredneck View Post
                          carry my wallet in left rear pocket and glock 19 iwb about 4 o'clock. if you're just popping me for a tail light or rolling stop or whatever and are standing at the driver's side window, i'll get to my wallet without you ever knowing i'm armed.

                          would you rather i go ahead and disclose (sorry to all the other guys that responded in that other thread...i know i'm beating a dead horse, but can't help myself).

                          another response in this thread said 'what's the harm in disclosing if you're legal....even if state law doesn't require it?'. no harm, i just don't think i should have to be disarmed.....would certainly hand over if the officer told me to, i just wouldn't like it.

                          thx for the input.
                          Who is going to disarm you? Whatever violation the LEO pulled you over for is not the issue here. The problem (for you) is if you do reach for your wallet AND I see it, bigoldredneck...might be in some bigoldtrouble!

                          What's the big deal? LEO's who get pulled over and are carrying knows "It's just "common courtesy" to let the LEO know."

                          If you're legal...then you should be on your way WITH your gun......and perhaps a citation.
                          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            [QUOTE=SL124;1143408]Who said we'd disarm you? That's a big assumption on your part. You have to realize that the reaction you're going to get if we see your weapon, and you haven't told us, is one you're probably not going to like, and in my case, you will end up outside the car and in handcuffs.

                            thx for the response, man.

                            it's a taillight or whatever and you're not nervous.....i disclose....are you gonna disarm me anyway?

                            i say again, the way i carry, you are not going to know i'm armed. would you still prefer me to disclose or just keep my mouth shut?

                            thx, again

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bigoldredneck View Post
                              it's a taillight or whatever and you're not nervous.....i disclose....are you gonna disarm me anyway?

                              i say again, the way i carry, you are not going to know i'm armed. would you still prefer me to disclose or just keep my mouth shut?

                              thx, again
                              Never nervous.....but always cautious! NO ONE IS GOING TO DISARM YOU!!!

                              We say again......DISCLOSE!!

                              Put it this way...if I am carrying...I'm disclosing. YOU do what YOU need to...but heaven help you if...............................you hear that little voice in your head saying," should have would have could have!!".

                              Beating a dead horse so I'm out!
                              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 2463 users online. 143 members and 2320 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X