300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD Vs DCPD

As I've been lurking around for a while I've noticed that many of you come from a bunch of diffrent Dept. and you opinons would be appricated as well.
    But the Meat of my question is Working for The NYPD Vs MPDC. I've Gone thru the full hire process for NY and due to go into the Academy in July, And Just started the Investigation For Dc within the past week and at the Earliest would be eligible for the academy in April.
    So I have some Basic Question
    1. How much of a Factor is it to Be a Police In someone elses City, thats unfamliar to you having been born and Raised in NYC?

2. How Much of a Factor is the salary Diffrence NYC being 25K with a possible bump soon to around 37K. And DC Starting at around 47k+?

3.What are the benifits and Drawbacks of Each Dept.?

4. And Lastly Does one Prestige Of the NYPD Name Hold any more or less weight then MPDC. When Looking to Apply to Federal Agency in the future.
    Or Does DC provide a better Platform for a career Jump being so close to so many Federal Agencies In DC.

I would appricate any Feedback on some of these questions, or any other things that I haven't consider.

Thanks In advance

Originally posted by Smitty12 View Post
    How much of a Factor is it to Be a Police In someone elses City, thats unfamliar to you having been born and Raised in NYC?
    It depends on how fast you learn the geography and the layout of the city. I would think that it would not be that long.

How Much of a Factor is the salary Diffrence NYC being 25K with a possible bump soon to around 37K. And DC Starting at around 47k+?
    You just answered your own question. Its about a 25k difference.

What are the benifits and Drawbacks of Each Dept.?
    I am not familliar with NYPD. MPD's benefits.

And Lastly Does one Prestige Of the NYPD Name Hold any more or less weight then MPDC. When Looking to Apply to Federal Agency in the future.
    Or Does DC provide a better Platform for a career Jump being so close to so many Federal Agencies In DC.
    Two big city depts. Depends on where you want to be geographically.

Comment

there is an nypd vs mpdc thread in both the washington DC and new york state forums. will probably be on the 2nd or 3rd page, maybe bottom 1st. probably answer a lot of your questions.

Comment

go with NYPD

Comment

Originally posted by nogginbuster24 View Post
          go with NYPD
          So he can get treated like crap, paid like crap, and live like crap.....?

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
            So he can get treated like crap, paid like crap, and live like crap.....?
            seems to be about the jist of it.

Comment

Originally posted by IAmJeff View Post
              seems to be about the jist of it.
              In this guys case....I would go MPD....as if he doesn't get on with a Federal Agency, he will be working for a good agency and have the chance to work in some good specialized units without needing a huge hook....unlike at NYPD.....

MPD is going up....new Chief, new Mayor and both wanting to make the place a better place to work.....

NYPD is stuck in the 60s....Mayors don't care about pay, crappy equipment for beat guys, and the public/press doesn't give two ****s about you....and the Agency will hang you out if you do something they think will remotely make them look bad....even if you are in the right....

Further, if you do try to get on with another agency......NYPD WILL NOT release records.....and most agencies won't hire you unless they see your files....

Yeah....some place I would want to work.....

Comment

Seems like People have some pretty strong opinions of the NYPD.
                But if it would factor into another mans decision ini the same situation, I'm 24 with NO kids and not married.

Comment

Seems like People have some pretty strong opinions of the NYPD.
                  But if it would factor into another mans decision ini the same situation, I'm 24 with NO kids and not married.
                  My question to you is this.....

Can you live on 25K a year in NYC...? It goes up to the Mid 30s once you are out of the 6 month academy and into FTO.....

After 5.5 years of service, you make about 60K yearly. These numbers dont include promotions, overtime, holiday pay, night differential and uniform allowance.

What happens if you can't get on with a Federal Agency....? Will you be able to survive if you find the love of your life and have kids....?

What happens if you can't get on with the Feds and want to move into a specialized area.....do you know how big of a hook you need to do that...?

All my buddies that work there are struggling.....even after with a bunch of time on the job.

MPD will allow you to live decently while you are single.....and will give you a chance to move up to other areas of the agency without huge hooks.....

Just my .02 cents...

Comment

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costo...29+NY&x=51&y=9

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costo...DC-VA&x=44&y=3

I'm glad MPD doesn't start their officers off at the same level NYPD does... $17,000 in DC would be just cause to become a bank robber... (did I just say that, shame on me).
                    Last edited by krinkbusta; 03-05-2008, 10:49 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

THose Numbers are hard to Over Look.
                      As for a hook In the NYPD I have a couple. But after taking a hard look at it Not exactly sure there worth staying for.

Comment

Both are good agencies. Believe it or not, there are a lot of NYers that are employed by MPD. Each agency has its pros and cons. If you are looking for REP then NYPD will always have bragging rights, however, you can’t take that to the bank. The District REALLY takes good care of their officers in some ways. For example, if you retire from MPD, you can be rehired with MPD and still collect your pension!!!!!!!! or you can retire and get hired with Housing Police and still collect your pension. I have never seen anything like that and it is against the law in NY (to retire from NYC and get rehired as a NYC employee while collecting a NYC pension)
                        live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Comment

seems like the most sensible thing to do by the advise of those that have replied is MPD.
                          That being said I'm gunna have a pretty ****ed off girlfriend. And if she finds out that I'm leaving on the advise people in here she gunna kick ya'lls asses

Comment

seems like the most sensible thing to do by the advise of those that have replied is MPD.
                            That being said I'm gunna have a pretty ****ed off girlfriend. And if she finds out that I'm leaving on the advise people in here she gunna kick ya'lls asses
                            Think long and hard before you decide to just up and "move" to the DC area. If you are getting in to law enforcement for the "pay" alone, you are going to be highly dissappointed with the amount of bullish you have to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                              My question to you is this.....

Can you live on 25K a year in NYC...? It goes up to the Mid 30s once you are out of the 6 month academy and into FTO.....

After 5.5 years of service, you make about 60K yearly. These numbers dont include promotions, overtime, holiday pay, night differential and uniform allowance.

What happens if you can't get on with a Federal Agency....? Will you be able to survive if you find the love of your life and have kids....?

What happens if you can't get on with the Feds and want to move into a specialized area.....do you know how big of a hook you need to do that...?

All my buddies that work there are struggling.....even after with a bunch of time on the job.

MPD will allow you to live decently while you are single.....and will give you a chance to move up to other areas of the agency without huge hooks.....

Just my .02 cents...
                              NYPD is pretty big I mean with 30,000 officers and limited budget I see why their pay is rather low compared to other agencies in other areas. It's just hard to maintain a force that large. I have a question for you if you get treated like crap, low pay, and get crappy gear to use then why are there so many people working for NYPD?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5117 users online. 301 members and 4816 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X