OWI on a mower?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OWI on a mower?

So...while riding this weekend we arrested some poor sap that was dui on an old rusty tractor mower on the shoulder of the road...he was using a 30 pack of busch light for his seat

And now the question, does an offense such as this have the same consequences as a dui in a car? Can you lose your license for something like this? I should have thought of asking this earlier...
    "Friendly Fire, isn't"

In my state, yes, if operated on a public road. If on Private Property, which I dont think I would ever arrest someone for, it is the same except no DL suspension.
    If one man can make a difference, every man should.

Comment

I believe it does here to. I have yet to test it, but I have been told by a few other deputies it's happened in the area once or twice. As close as I have come is just about writing someone on a river while on an ATV. They PBTed below a .08 though. We got talking about this a few months ago. Something else I wasn't aware of, but I'm told you can write a DUI to someone riding horseback.
      Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

I beleive this happened in La. as the cop says he is stopping a "98" which is our code for DUI
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=7eZQ1joBegg
        Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

Its still a motorized vehicle and being operated on a public road. No different than a D.U.I. on a moped and we give those all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by nebraska_deputy View Post
            We got talking about this a few months ago. Something else I wasn't aware of, but I'm told you can write a DUI to someone riding horseback.
            DUI's have happened on horseback in this County.
            He who feels punctured must once have been a bubble. --Lao Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by theie View Post
              DUI's have happened on horseback in this County.
              was the horse swerving or running erratically?
              "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

D.U.I is one of the exceptions. In Va you can be arrested on your own property regardless of it being "private" for the offense of d.u.i. That includes any moving vehicle to include tractor and riding mower.
                "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

My LT at my previous department told a war story of giving a dui to a guy passed out on a horse once. He had lost his license for DUI, and being rural AZ he figured he would ride his horse to the pub. The great thing, the guy thought was that the horse knew how to make the 4 mile trip home, so he could pass out and still make it home.

I dont know if it is true, but knowing that area of AZ makes me think it is very true!

Comment

Originally posted by exdrip View Post
                    was the horse swerving or running erratically?
                    I believe it was parked illegally outside of the bar!

Comment

A horse is not a vehicle, you don't operate a horse. A horse, cow, mule, ox, buffalo, pig, donkey, emu, or etc... would not fit any DUI statute I've seen. I'ld be curious to see the wording of a law prohibiting DUI or DWI and it's relation to a horse, etc. Drunk in Public is a whole 'nother deal.

In Va., as already mentioned above ... DUI would include a riding mower, even on private property. No reason to not charge a stupid drunk on a mower, especially when you consider he's alongside a public roadway and could dart out in traffic at any time, maybe even in front of you on your Harley or maybe into your yard where your kids are playing.
                      "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

I want to see the law that says you cant ride a horse while drunk!
                        Last edited by exdrip; 09-03-2008, 01:03 AM.
                        "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightshift va View Post
                          D.U.I is one of the exceptions. In Va you can be arrested on your own property regardless of it being "private" for the offense of d.u.i. That includes any moving vehicle to include tractor and riding mower.
                          There is a story going around(for about 30 years) of an NOPD officer that arrested(and got a conviction) of an elevator operator at Charity Hospital for DUI.
                          I have reason to believe it is true.

Also ,DUI,ROMV,and Hit and Run,are 3 charges under La. law that can be anywhere.Private property etc.
                          Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

I'm guessing I better keep my pants on the next time I have a few beers and go weed-eating? What's a guy to do for fun anymore?!

Comment

Originally posted by mavriktu View Post
                              There is a story going around(for about 30 years) of an NOPD officer that arrested(and got a conviction) of an elevator operator at Charity Hospital for DUI.
                              I have reason to believe it is true.

I bet that case really had its ups and downs.

{{ Groan! }}

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10085 users online. 373 members and 9712 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X