300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance to make traffice stop?

Just a quick question. I got pulled over after running a red light (yellow, but it's a null point). I was driving and saw the officer coming up Fast on the left, he slams on brakes, swerves in behind me, and makes the stop. I'm not debating the actual ticket, moreso the Distance from the traffic light he actually made the stop. It was 3.5 miles. He wasn't following me to see if i made any more infractions, because when he came up on me he was going very fast and almost passed me in the left lane.

Is there any law about loosing site of the car or distance from the place of infraction.

TIA,
    Justin

Originally posted by EXTREME View Post
    Just a quick question. I got pulled over after running a red light (yellow, but it's a null point). I was driving and saw the officer coming up Fast on the left, he slams on brakes, swerves in behind me, and makes the stop. I'm not debating the actual ticket, moreso the Distance from the traffic light he actually made the stop. It was 3.5 miles. He wasn't following me to see if i made any more infractions, because when he came up on me he was going very fast and almost passed me in the left lane.

Is there any law about loosing site of the car or distance from the place of infraction.

TIA,
    Justin
    If the officer saw the violation and kept sight of the vehicle the entire time (no mix ups) you have no leg to stand on. But its your right to go to court and contest the ticket. If you feel the ticket was unjust, go to court.

Comment

well, i don't know about keeping site. It was dark (like 10pm) and he was rollin fast like he was lookin for my truck because he almost passed me before slamming on the brakes and getting behind me.

Comment

Yep, I agree with CityCopDC even if he lost sight, if he can positively identify your vehicle he can cite you. In some cases the officer can cite you the next day. You can fight the ticket, you never know with Municipal/Traffic court. I have seen some weird things.

Comment

Pretty routine

Pretty routine for a speed check at one point with officers miles down the road doing the stop and ticketing with just a vehicle description.

Comment

This is pretty common. We see a vehicle, lets say a blue 2000-ish GMC 1500 4 door, run a red light/speeding/pass illegally/etc, and turn around on the vehicle. We lose sight as it goes around a corner. As we come around that same corner, there is only 1 pick-up in view. We catch up and it's a blue GMC 1500 4 door. There are no other pickups that fit that description. We stop because we saw that vehicle commit a violation.

Now you can try to argue in front of the judge that the officer lost sight of you, but more than likely when the officer describes the scenario I mentioned above, the judge is going to side with the officer. And officers tend to catch a lot of detail through training. Maybe he saw a sticker on your window or recognized the style of rims your car has to make the match 100%.

And no, there is no law dictating how long we can follow you before stopping you, except that my south central Texas county would prefer that I make the stop inside the state line. And I usually comply. He was probably just trying to catch up and it took him a few miles to safely do so.

Comment

I don't mess with the yellow lights anymore, the lights themselves will kick your ***. Like citycopdc mentioned, no one is stopping you from taking it to court. The cop saw you, and he is going to swear on it in court. Grab a snickers.
              The statements posted on here are of my own and does not represent any agency that I am in process with, was in process with or will be in process with.

Comment

There is no law about distance from where the infraction was committed, since the officer is free to choose the location of the stop. I routinely follow violators for some distance when I would otherwise be stopping them in an unsafe location. As to losing sight of the car -- there isn't a hard and fast rule. If he made positive identification of the car when the violation was committed and again when he stopped you, you would have to convince a judge that during the time you were out of his sight, the car stopped, the original driver got out, and a different driver (you) got in. Unless it was an hour later or something I don't think you'd have much of a shot.

Pete

Comment

Most of the time, I witness the violation, get behind the vehicle, run the tag via my MDT ( would like to know if the car is stolen or the registered owner is wanted) and then look for the place that I want to stop in. Most officers like to choose the best place that they are comfortable with before they initiate the stop.
                  Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

You may be entitled to a speedy trial, but not necessarily a speedy stop or arrest.

P.S. Good luck in court!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Did you know that federal law states that cops only have 1,358 feet to stop you? Any more and their stop is illegal. I'd go to www.galls.com and buy a distance wheel (http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...HS112&cat=3146). Go back out to where the stop was conducted vs. where you violated the law and get to measuring!

Let us know what the judge says
                      The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm not trying to get out of the ticket. I've never gone to court for one and i'm not going to start now. I've been guilty of most everything i've been ticketed for so no biggie. This scenario is just unlike any other stop i've been involved in.

I understand about following a vehicle to run the plates or to get to a more safe area. I was on a 4 lane hwy and the light in question was the last light in town. He wasn't tailing me, or following or running the plates. He just took 3.5 miles (i checked the next day) to catch up to me and when he did, he almost passed me (he was going that fast) Then he made the stop immediately, no time for checking the plates or verifying it was the same vehicle. It was dark and my truck is completely stock. No abnormal stickers, or custom wheels.

I guess i would just like officer and see what the deal was.

Gopherpuck, you have a link to that 1358ft thing?

Thanks again,
                        Justin

Comment

double posted
                          Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 02-18-2008, 07:23 PM. Reason: double posted
                          "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

TIA,
                            Justin
                            Not that I have ever seen. As long as he can still identify the vehicle, etc, a momentary loss of sight due to a hill crest or curve doesn't much matter. Taking 3.5 miles might have been while he ran checks on your tag and maybe owner info.

If you mean it took that long to oevrtake, slow, annd find a safe place for stop, maybe he was detained by other traffic, etc.

I'm sure he could answer your question my definatively.
                            "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

been there, done that. I obs a good violation, especially a red light violation, but I get stopped by the red light. Now I have to wait for a green light or activate my lights to clear the I/S (which I hate doing, it impeds cross traffic and is very dangerous) to catch up to the violator. The higher the posted speed limit is the further away the violators going to be before I catch up to them. I'm on a M/C so I twist the throttle just a little bit to much and next thing you know I've almost passed the violators veh. oops...lol

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3137 users online. 149 members and 2988 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X