Firefighter Arrested, Officer Fined for Arrest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefighter Arrested, Officer Fined for Arrest

Apparently the officer arrested a fire captain because he failed to move the truck. IMO, I think the truck being where it is at made it safe for all emergency personell to work. Don't police consider firefighters "brothers" too??? The officer has been fined 18k.

http://www.kmov.com/topstories/stori....bd01f42f.html

A video is included with the link.

That officer acted like an idiot.
    ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

Comment

I saw that. Thought that was um......crazy. IMO the firefighter was right. Wanna use a 6 ton vehicle to make sure "we" dont get hit? Knock yourself out, the traffic will be there regardless because of the rubber neckers...

Comment

Not knowing what was said, I can't say he acted like a moron ...... but ARRESTING a firefighter - STUPIDITY.

Now, I will say that sometimes firefighters don't realize that by blocking more lanes of interstate they can ACTUALLY CAUSE other accidents.
        Space for rent .........

Comment

Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
          I saw that. Thought that was um......crazy. IMO the firefighter was right. Wanna use a 6 ton vehicle to make sure "we" dont get hit? Knock yourself out, the traffic will be there regardless because of the rubber neckers...
          exactly... and since when did police care about backing up traffic? It is all about getting the job done correctly, am I wrong?

I wonder if fellow officers gave this guy a strange look for taking a firefighter to booking.

Comment

Originally posted by mp1161 View Post
            exactly... and since when did police care about backing up traffic? It is all about getting the job done correctly, am I wrong?

I wonder if fellow officers gave this guy a strange look for taking a firefighter to booking.
            Mp1161 if I may monday morning quarterback just this one time? Its no way in hell I would have locked that firefighter up. To me, that officer took that to personal, as if it was HIS highway that was backed up. I have been on the freeway/highway on 10-50's (accidents for us, officer in trouble for montgomerey county) with traffic zooming by at 70+ mph. Hmmmm...do I want a police car or a 6 ton firetruck blocking the lane for me?

Comment

What are the details?

There seems to be a need for someone to be in charge of the scene.

Whether thats the Police or the fire dept.

Comment

Originally posted by ford123 View Post
                What are the details?

I would "assume" because injuries exist, the fd has anything related to the patients, the pd the scene as a whole.
                Provide first aid to the injured before anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by t1r4
                  I bet that officer was the typical o.com "I see you have no experience, well i do LOL" troll.
                  Rofl ... you could see the smirk
                  WadsonF 10-4's the above statement.

Comment

Originally posted by ford123 View Post
                    What are the details?

^^^^ QFT

I don't want to start a storm but I have a lot experience with these types of situtaions.

Our organization's solution is to sponsor Incident Command classes that focus on a Unified Command Structure.

Of course there are still problems when the fire commander disagrees with the police commander.

If you're not used to working on a limited access roadway every hour of every day you may not be as aware about how quickly traffic can backlog and cause major problems.

I can honestly say two of the worst & memorable accident scenes I've ever worked on occurred in a backlog situation.

Scene saftey is of paramount importance but logistical considerations must be taken into account.

If you look at the video the patient was in a vehicle on the shoulder of the road. A police vehicle blocked the right lane and when the fire engine pulled up he blocked the 2nd lane from the right.

Obviously I wasn't there but a better option may have been to park the fire engine angled BEHIND the Police cruiser blocking both the shoulder and right lane.

By just parking where he did it's obvious the fire engine just stopped in the middle of a lane. There are no channelling devices behind the fire engine warning motorists to move left.

At least if the engine was placed as I suggested it would provide a visual clue for drivers approaching the scene plus provide a 40,000# protection barrier behind the emergency workers.

IMHO that would have provided superior scene safety and allowed for an additional travel lane to ease congestion and the chance of back-log accidents.
                    "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."
                    09/11/2001 Never Forget

Comment

I am going to say the Officer's wrong based on one thing from the video: The fact that it only took him about 20 seconds to make the decision to arrest a Fire Captain. At the point in which he arrested the Capt, I doubt they know the full extent of the driver's injuries, therefore they still need the extra lane as a buffer zone in case the have to backboard the driver.

Comment

I am no police officer, but I have been put under the impression that a public safety vehicle on official business is never improperly parked.
                        A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
                          on 10-50's (accidents for us, officer in trouble for montgomerey county)
                          Thanks for clarifying!

(BTW, VA just got rid of 10-codes because of the variation between jurisdictions/departments. They went to a common 'plain-English' system to facilitate MARS/inter-operability)
                          The U.S. Army AIRBORNE theory of Life, The Universe and Everything:

-When in doubt; COUNTER-ATTACK!
                          -When certain; STRIKE/HOLD!

Comment

There is probably a history between the agencies in this circumstance, and possibly even between the FF and LEO. In TN, normally the FD who has established IC is in charge, particularly during fire and/or vehicle rescue operations & patient care/transport.

From a personal standpoint, and I can say this from being on both sides of the wall as a LEO and FF/EMT-IV, there have been many times on accident scenes (where I was from) that the last thing law enforcement would do is direct traffic. It came down to doing it ourselves by blocking lanes with apparatus to keep the moron rubber-neckers off of us. The main thing LEO's were busy doing is filling out the traffic crash report on scene. I am definitely not implying this as a blanket statement, but it happens.
                            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

This officer was an idiot. But did he book the Fire captain? Looked to me like he let him go. But I am not sure.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5901 users online. 206 members and 5695 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X