• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Burger tastes like Sh*t!!!!

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Jury's verdict leaves man with bad taste in his mouth
    By Joe Myers/REGISTER-HERALD REPORTER

LEWISBURG - A Greenbrier County man failed Thursday in his attempt to collect damages from Burger King for allegedly serving him a filthy hamburger.

The verdict came at the end of a three-day civil trial in Greenbrier County Circuit Court.

Jim King testified that on June 21, 2000, he purchased two Whoppers from the Burger King franchise at Fairlea and took them to the nearby Heilig-Meyers furniture store where his wife worked.

"I took a bite out of it," the truck driver told the jury. "It tasted funny. I started to get sick, and I ran to the bathroom and threw up."

King returned to the lunch room.

"I took the top bun off it. I saw something brown mixed in with the fixings of the burger. It smelled real bad. It smelled like crap. It looked like something ... how can I phrase this? ... like you're going to use the bathroom."

King took the hamburger to the Greenbrier County Health Department for testing. Laboratory analyst Ron Ramirez testified it had a high fecal coliform content.

King testified the incident changed his perspective on fast food.

"I pretty much eat at home now," he said. "It's just the thought of getting something contaminated, having to worry about my food all the time.

"Just driving by the store, it reminds me. I can taste it all over again. The smell comes back. Or if I see (a Burger King ad) on TV, it brings everything back - the taste, the smell, everything."

One of the Burger King employees must have put feces on the hamburger, King's attorney, Richard Ford Jr., told the jury.

But several Burger King employees denied any knowledge of the alleged act.

Manager Debbie Ward testified the company has strict policies on food preparation and would not tolerate such behavior. "They'd be fired," she said.

"It could not have happened at this facility," said John MacCorkle, attorney for Burger-King and franchisee ERW Inc. He suggested someone at Heilig-Meyers may have tampered with the hamburger.

But two Heilig-Meyers employees testified no one touched the hamburger during the short period it was unattended in the lunch room while King went to get his wife.

After an hour's deliberation, the six-member jury ruled Burger King was not liable.

This was the second time the Fairlea restaurant had been sued over alleged contaminated food. In October 2001, a Fayette County woman sued the company after allegedly contracting salmonella from a chicken sandwich. That lawsuit is still pending.

- E-mail:

[email protected]
    I'll post, You argue.

That is not ver appetizing.
    "Integrity is like virginity. Once it's lost, you can't get it back." --drunkhunter

Comment

Burger King managed to get a cigarrete butt in our fries at the drive through once. My wife and I could smell it before we even opened the bag! The manager was this kid who looked 18 (okay, I'm only 25), and he went totally pale when he saw it. Of course, we got a refund and free, freshly cooked fries and onion rings.

So when they say, "It could not have happened at this facility," I think...."think again". That said, I doubt it actually DID happen, I bet he just wants to capitalize on the old stories about that kind of stuff.
      I am disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious? - Mr. Sparkle

Comment

I hate the Burger King near us and 90% of the people that work there are idiots! I waited in line with my children for about 45 minutes once and when I got the food, she got it all wrong. I recently went through the drive through and handed the lady a $20. I KNEW it was a $20 because I had just looked at it in my hand before giving it to her! She said, "no, you gave me a $10". I was ****ed. She's like, "well, you can pull over and we'll have to count all the money and see if we're $10 over". Sure enough, I waited in the parking lot for about 15 minutes while she counted. Then she apologized to me for the mishap. She said that she had no choice but to count it because the same thing had happened to her once before, but she believed the guy and she was $10 short at the end of the night. Umm.....I am no rocket scientist, but Lady....if it's happened before you had better LOOK at the money when you're taking it!
        "It is easier for a king to have a lie believed than a beggar to spread the truth."---Robert Strecker

Comment

That's pretty standard. My big woe is the people who work at Taco Bell. I swear to God that if my wife orders Cinammon Twists, we won't EVER get them unless we hassle those guys about it. I think when they're reading the screen or receipt to put together the order, their brain translates "Cin. Twst." as "Donation to Taco Bell". They never ever put them in the bag!

I used to work fast food, and it really used to irritate me when people would speak...really...slowly...to me, as though I were an idiot. Now I understand why.

Comment

Man, I am just grateful when I find fast food workers who can actually speak English.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by ateamer:
              Man, I am just grateful when I find fast food workers who can actually speak English.

In-N-Out is the only chain in my area where that can be depended on. The original article is plain nasty. I don't eat at Burger King. I got salmonella from a chicken sandwich there. Like a fool, I went back about a year later and got sick again. I finally learned my lesson.
              Bill R

Comment

EXACTLY what Bill said, I (alas) don't have an In-N-Out in my vicinity, but it is the only fast food resteraunt I eat at.
                Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.
                -Mark Twain

Comment

I agree about the English speaking thing, but where I live that is sometimes tough. Depends on the time of year. When all the kids are out of school, it's not so bad. During the school year, very hard [Eek!]

Comment

This is totally gross. I rarely eat at a fast food restaurant. And when I do dine at a restaurant with real live service people, I make sure I am nice and polite. My neighbor refers to them as "gofhers" and wonders why he gets sick when he eats out.

Comment

As Lethal Weapon II so eloquently put it, they F#&k you at the drive-in, wherever you go.

I have one place I stop...Dunkin Donuts. At this point, I know the lady who works mornings, and she knows I'll be back if there's a problem. Since I order the same thing every morning, problems are pretty much gone away.

However, anytime I go there on the weekend with my wife...Oh Dear Lord! They screw everything up...I don't think we've ever gotten what we wanted.

Ah well. They're working there for two reasons:

1. A student who needs a part-time job before becoming a productive member of society

2. An individual who couldn't do any better.

You can usually tell which you're talking to.
                      I haven't felt this good since we stole the 2000 elections!--Ned Flanders

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4501 users online. 315 members and 4186 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X