300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What starts hockey fights?

I've wondered for a long time now what guys say right before they start fighting, or what they say that causes them to start fighting. Since games are broadcast on network/cable TV I assume they can't mike up players likely to tussle 'cause they may use *colorful* language, but does anyone know an NHL hockey player well enough to have heard any good lines that start fights?

By the way, the best quote I've heard about a fighter was about Joey Kocur during his Red Wings playing days - "When Joey hits people, they stay hit." (Rolling Stone magazine, June 11, 1998 pg. 101). I've got that article up on my wall at home.

AvgJoe
    Be careful, kids. Daddy's summer car is like the Ark of the Covanent - if you touch it, you will surely die.

Too much testesterone in their morning Wheaties.

Comment

What starts hockey fights?

the fact that they fly into each other for no apparent reason (puck?? what puck??) then get ****ed off for it.

that's why i don't watch hockey. here's an idea. the puck is over there ------>

try going after it!!
      I'll post, You argue.

Comment

Joe-
        It really isn't anything that's said, it is the action taken. I play ice hockey as a goalie and I've brawled a couple times, mainly because someone from the opposing team had barreled into the crease to knock me down (which is a big no-no) and normally, I'd be lucky to get to that player before my team did...the goalie is protected at all costs.
        Another time was because of an opposing player's high stick that hit me pretty hard in the helmet.
        I've spoken with Andy Ference, a defenseman with the Pittsburgh Penguins. Andy told me that he goes after anyone that checks Mario Lemieux or the goalie. He also said that he doesn't hesitate to fight because he's a small guy and he wants the other team to take him seriously.
        Steve McKenna, with the Penguins, has the opposite problem, he is 6'5" and it seems everyone wants to take him on, which he is willing to oblige. Steve told me that he fights because of the "moment", things get heated and the gloves come off.
        Johann "Moose" Hedberg, the Penguin's goalie, doesn't hesitate to drag an opposing player out of the crease and slam him into the boards.
        So, it's really not what's said, although I'm sure that it plays a part. The one that I remember clearly was the Eastern Conference Playoffs in 2001, Pens vs. the Devils. The final game, you could clearly see Scott Stevens call Mario a "p*ssy" and acted like he was crying, when it was obvious that the Pens were about to lose. Mario beat the hell out of him...it's the only time that I saw him lose it.

[ 01-17-2003, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Traffic_Goddess ]

Comment

My outlook: the same reason I lost interest in participating in any kind of sport. Hockey is rough enough in it's own accord, but there always has to be one or more jokers who are in it for all the marbles. Those who don't seem to undertstand what playing by the rules, or playing fair is all about. Some joker who would want to hook, slash, or deliberately hit me with his stick, or block me into the wall on the blind side, you damned right I'd want to put a skate where he's never had one before!

What makes matters worse are the spectators. Like those who go to auto races, just to see the cars crash. They like to see mayhem and violence, as opposed to the sport of hockey. As a result, many of the players decide to give them a show they came to see.
          Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

I think it's because they're all frustrated that they don't make the kind of money that basketball players make, so they have to take it out on someone. Plus, they're all screwing each other's girlfriends on the road.

Comment

They've all watched the movie SLAPSHOT too many times!!
              " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

Now, Frank...
                That was not very nice! Besides, it isn't the other girlfriends...it's the puck bunnies!LOL

I agree that most professional sports have gotten totally out of hand, and the athletes are a bunch of thugs and criminals. But, you don't see that behavior happening in the NHL. Those players are the best behaved of professional athletes and they still really appreciate their fans. I've had the opportunity to meet and speak with several NHL players and they are always friendly. I have yet to have a bad experience with any of them. They take the time to talk to you and they always have great advice to improve your game.
                There are players that are out there to fight and that don't hesitate to check someone into the boards, a good example is Darius Kasperitis. But, Darius was out there to protect his forwards against the other defensemen and with that responsibility comes aggression. Fighting is penalized, but more importantly, cheap shots are dealt with harshly so that the players are kept safe.
                It's hard to find another sport that has the amount of skill and stamina that is needed as you do in ice hockey.
                Goalies RULE!

Comment

I think it has to do with the lack of CHEERLEADERS!
                  "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
                  -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by 207:
                    They've all watched the movie SLAPSHOT too many times!!

I LOVE that movie!!!

And, shooter...the Hurricanes have cheerleaders:
                    The Storm Front...I was offered an audition but my team would KILL me!LOL

Comment

There are several reasons but the most common are...

1) Retaliation.

2) A player will cause a fight if his team is losing, merely to create some momentum for the team.

Comment

quote:
                        There are players that are out there to fight and that don't hesitate to check someone into the boards
                        Goons. They're called goons.
                        "But if it be a sin to covet honor, I am the most offending soul alive." from Henry V, by Wm. Shakespeare

Comment

I resemble that remark!

Comment

Traffic_Goddess, I agree with you that pro hockey players are probably the most friendly as a rule. Of course there will be exceptions but I've had the opportunity to get several Red Wing's autographs and each time they were more than happy to answer a question if time permitted. They all seemed to be enjoying meeting fans and none were in "Can't wait to get out of here" mode. The ones most known for fighting that I've met (Kocur, McCarty and Maltby) were usually the most down to earth.

So you're a goaler... I love observing a goalie's rituals. Not stepping on red & blue lines, tapping posts and pads in a certain order, pointing the water bottles in certain directions, all that. I know most players do stuff like wearing the same favorite socks for important games, but goalies have the most visible and pronounced patterns. How 'bout you? Any good luck charms?

AvgJoe
                            Be careful, kids. Daddy's summer car is like the Ark of the Covanent - if you touch it, you will surely die.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4072 users online. 296 members and 3776 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X