300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the "Appeals" Process?

It looks like I won't be getting accepted into my first choice of police departments because of my Civil Service test.

I received the "Dear John" letter to notify me of this and I called the number on the paper to see if there was a way I could find out what I didn't get right on the test.

I've called 2 times. The first time I left a message and the second I spoke to someone and she said she didn't know and someone would get back to me. They never did.

I'm not going to put up a huge fight nor do I want to be inappropriate by harassing them so I wonder if the Appeals Process is what I should do? I'm just curious where my weak spots were so I might work on it before the next test.

I'm rather surprised (and disgusted with myself) because most of the test was a personality test (maybe I failed that!!! ) and there were two other sections in which I was done early (and double checked my answers). I wonder if I didn't fill out something correctly and was flagged for that?

The department is testing again in a couple of months and there are a couple of other departments where I'm applying but this was really my first choice and where I'd really like to work.

Suggestions?

Questions on the written and oral are usually "validated" (determined to have a real relationship to how you would perform the job). If you didn't answer enough of those questions correctly in order to pass, your appeal (in most cases) would be limited to alleging that the questions asked had no legitimate relationship to the job, or that the "correct" answers to the questions you got wrong were in error. In most cases, no one is going to tell you which questions you missed because the tests are used over and over again and doing so would compromise test security. I think you may be out of luck on this one.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

They might have just non-selected you if the test was a personality test. Each department has a particular profile they want, and you might not be right for that agency.
      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        Questions on the written and oral are usually "validated" (determined to have a real relationship to how you would perform the job). If you didn't answer enough of those questions correctly in order to pass, your appeal (in most cases) would be limited to alleging that the questions asked had no legitimate relationship to the job, or that the "correct" answers to the questions you got wrong were in error. In most cases, no one is going to tell you which questions you missed because the tests are used over and over again and doing so would compromise test security. I think you may be out of luck on this one.
        Originally posted by ateamer View Post
        They might have just non-selected you if the test was a personality test. Each department has a particular profile they want, and you might not be right for that agency.
        Thanks, that makes sense.

So, if I take the test again in the fall for this department, do you think it'll be the same questions or at least similar questions?

Also, different departments have different tests, no? So, it sounds like you're saying I might get a completely different test for a different department?

Comment

There is really no way we can state whether or not the questions would be the same in a subsequent test. As has been noted, each department is pretty well free to determine the standards it wishes in regards to recruitment. On a more personal note, I wouldn't let this one setback deter you from making further applications. If there is a "secret" to applying, I would suggest it can be summed up in one word. Research. Go to various agency websites, job announcements etc. Measure yourself (honestly) against the published standards for employment. Most announcements will describe the type of test(s) used in the hiring process. Some types of exam can be prepared for, others not so. I really don't feel any agency is going to go over the exam with you, regardless of type, and tell you where you failed. Although, that would be helpful, it's rarely, if ever done.

Comment

they don't- and usally wont tell ya.
            security i huge on these test, just keep appling and go from there...

good luck
            ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
            Oscar Wilde

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8586 users online. 488 members and 8098 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X