Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Orleans LODD

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Orleans LODD

    NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A vagrant wanted for questioning in a rape overpowered a police officer who was trying to handcuff him, then shot her to death with her own weapon Monday, police said.

    The officer’s death was a blow to this city, where hopes were high that a new year could hold back a wave of crime that has been a dark backdrop to the rebuilding effort since Hurricane Katrina.

    “When it hits home like this, it hits you tremendously,” said Police Superintendent Warren Riley, who was charged with energizing a demoralized police force in the 2005 storm’s wake.

    Officer Nicola Cotton, 24, approached the suspect in her police cruiser and began questioning him. When she tried to handcuff him he attacked her, and a seven-minute fight ensued, Riley said.

    Related Links
    Today’s Top Police News
    Recently Uploaded Videos
    Police Scholarships
    The officer managed to use her radio during the struggle to call for backup, but the man grabbed her weapon and shot her repeatedly, Riley said.

    “I can tell you this officer fought with a man twice her size, and she fought very courageously,” Riley said. “She followed procedure as far as we’re concerned.”

    Riley said police have several witnesses to the shooting in a parking lot near a busy intersection in the crime-plagued Central City neighborhood and a few streets away from the district police station.

    But passers-by may not have seen the drawn-out struggle because the pair were on the ground and shielded by the officer’s vehicle, Riley said. Police said security videotape captured the lethal assault.

    The suspect, Bernell Johnson, 44, stayed on the scene until other officers arrived and was arrested, police spokesman Sgt. Joe Narcisse said.

    He was booked on a charge of first-degree murder, and it wasn’t known Monday night whether he had been assigned a lawyer. Riley said Johnson had been arrested several times before on suspected sex offenses.

    Cotton was among the first graduates of the police academy after Katrina. At the time, the Police Department was hemorrhaging officers and was aggressively recruiting.

    Riley called Cotton a “clean-cut” woman who “carried herself well.”

    “This is a very difficult and sad day for the New Orleans Police Department,” Riley said. “I just left a group of officers who are crying, upset.”


    This is sickening. The report I heard last night on the news was that when the other officers arrived, he was still standing over her body with the weapon in his hand. He then only put the weapon down after he was asked to at gun point. I cant imagine the type of restraint those officers had to use not shoot him, since that is exactly what he deserved.

    Sorry, Im just venting. Another meaningless death. RIP Officer Cotton.
    Last edited by fireprowvfd; 01-29-2008, 10:06 AM.

  • #2
    A 7 minute fight. Jesus, she gave him hell. Your standing over an officer and a weapon is in your hand. Its nothing we need to talk about.......

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
      A 7 minute fight. Jesus, she gave him hell. Your standing over an officer and a weapon is in your hand. Its nothing we need to talk about.......

      i second that.

      Comment


      • #4
        after about 5 mins of fighting.., her being a female and all, i think she could have articulated using deadly force, but then again this is NOPD, so who knows.

        sad day for all.

        RIP
        In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mstangfk View Post
          after about 5 mins of fighting.., her being a female and all, i think she could have articulated using deadly force, but then again this is NOPD, so who knows.

          sad day for all.

          RIP
          Actually, as soon as the asault began she could have discharged her weapon. He was "twice" her size...

          Comment


          • #6
            He should be dead too

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
              Actually, as soon as the asault began she could have discharged her weapon. He was "twice" her size...
              where did you see that?
              In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mstangfk View Post
                where did you see that?
                Where did I see what? His size?

                "I can tell you this officer fought with a man twice her size, and she fought very courageously," Riley said. "She followed procedure as far as we're concerned."

                Link.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Man, I hope this bastard fries, that is just bad, and sad all wrapped into one. RIP Officer Cotton.
                  "It's not how they die, but how they live that makes them a hero."

                  Originally posted by George Carlin
                  You are not a loser, you are the last winner.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    RIP Officer Cotton. Prayers sent.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If you're standing over a downed Officer with a gun in your hand you are getting dumped. End of story. RIP Officer Cotton
                      "Valor would cease to be a virtue, if there were no injustice." -Agesilaus the Great

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JSODEP5338 View Post
                        If you're standing over a downed Officer with a gun in your hand you are getting dumped. End of story. RIP Officer Cotton
                        thats what i was thinking..save everyone some hassle and money..
                        In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          No. Not your choice to make.

                          What if the guy had been coming to her rescue and had just fired his pistol at the fleeing shooter just before they arrived? What if the guy who shot her was laying just a few yards away dead from the guy standing over the body wondering what to do next?

                          You can't make that decision to just shoot him because you want to carry out justice. IT ISN"T YOUR JOB. Thats the job of the courts, and I hope this pack of **** dies. But it isn't YOUR job.

                          You are not judge, jury, and executioner. The arriving officers did the right thing and they deserve praise for showing their restraint and taking him into custody.

                          If you think your job is to serve out justice at the point of a gun, then you better find another line of work, because you sure as hell don't belong carrying a badge.
                          Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by kingsman View Post
                            No. Not your choice to make.

                            What if the guy had been coming to her rescue and had just fired his pistol at the fleeing shooter just before they arrived? What if the guy who shot her was laying just a few yards away dead from the guy standing over the body wondering what to do next?

                            You can't make that decision to just shoot him because you want to carry out justice. IT ISN"T YOUR JOB. Thats the job of the courts, and I hope this pack of **** dies. But it isn't YOUR job.

                            You are not judge, jury, and executioner. The arriving officers did the right thing and they deserve praise for showing their restraint and taking him into custody.

                            If you think your job is to serve out justice at the point of a gun, then you better find another line of work, because you sure as hell don't belong carrying a badge.

                            Well I would hope that somebody with a gun in their hand would at least holster it when back up units arrived or even before if the threat had been neutralized. And what exactly is our job? To preserve life correct? How do these officers know that the downed officer is still alive? The only way to tell is to be able to get to her ASAP. I am not going to negotiate with a man who has just shot an officer who may or may not be dying in front of me. I would not be shooting someone to carry out justice as you like to put it. I would be shooting to stop a threat. A threat to myself and obviously a threat to that Officer. Have a good day.
                            "Valor would cease to be a virtue, if there were no injustice." -Agesilaus the Great

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by kingsman View Post
                              You are not judge, jury, and executioner.
                              I disagree. Any officer who has ever been in a fatal shooting is just that at THAT moment. Especially the EXECUTIONER part..

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4827 users online. 301 members and 4526 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X