talk about favorites....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• talk about favorites....

A Harris County judge's daughter convicted in the 2006 drunken driving crash that killed her boyfriend wants to do her 120-day jail sentence in weekend stints to stay in school.

According to a motion filed with the court Monday, Elizabeth Shelton, 21, will lose her scholarship to University of St. Thomas if she has to spend the next four months in jail.

Visiting State District Judge Richard Mays allowed her to remain free until she completed her classes this month. Mays is expected to rule on the motion today.

Shelton, the daughter of state District Judge Pat Shelton, is scheduled to report to jail Thursday to begin her sentence, the minimum required for probationers convicted of intoxication manslaughter.

Prosecutor Paul Doyle said the request isn't unusual, but that he opposes it.

Shelton was convicted in October of intoxication manslaughter in the death of 19-year-old Matthew McNiece.

Two blood tests showed Shelton's blood alcohol concentration to be more than three times the legal limit— at 0.26 and 0.28 percent — after the fatal Southwest Freeway crash.

Testimony showed McNiece was also drinking.

His family joined Shelton's family in asking for leniency from jurors.

In addition to the 120-day jail term, Shelton was sentenced to eight years' probation and must pay a $10,000 fine.

She faces a five-year prison sentence if her probation is revoked.

Shelton's attorney, Glen Devlin, didn't return calls for comment late Monday.
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5385778.html

all I can say is theres no way I would allow that to happen. what a joke of the CJ system
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

Jeeze. I wonder if Mr McNeice would like to get back into classes.

Honestly, I don't see why this is a joke of the CJ system though. It doesn't say anywhere in the article that the father supports (or opposes) the request, and the prosecutor admitted that it's not an unusual request, just that he opposes the request.
    A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

We have that "weekender" program in my county as well. When I worked in booking we had many weekenders show up every week...ranging from the offenses of theft to agg assault w/deadly weapon.....I thought to myself, it must be nice to get charged with agg asslt and get to serve weekends. They usually stayed from saturday 8am to Sunday 5pm. Usually reserved for first time offenders with no previous history.
      Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

How does this weekender program work w.r.t. prison overcrowding?

Does that mean that the prison only operates at capacity 2 days a week? Wouldn't that be inefficient?

Comment

Originally posted by Contact View Post
          Jeeze. I wonder if Mr McNeice would like to get back into classes.

Honestly, I don't see why this is a joke of the CJ system though. It doesn't say anywhere in the article that the father supports (or opposes) the request, and the prosecutor admitted that it's not an unusual request, just that he opposes the request.
          A little background for the joke part...
          this girl killed her boyfriend and when she was arrested, and they were drawing blood....she screamed- "do you know who my dad is???"

When she was convicted, she was allowed to complete her classes in college, and then start the jail time. she was one of three UNDDER 21 YO's that have been convicted for this type of offense. She is the only one that was allowed to finish classes and THEN start. others ethier had to wear the ankle monitor, and start some form of probation- commuinty services, and the other was placed into rehab.

She is now upset that she "could" loss her scholorship. Last I checked if you had a drug convictions or a felony you did not qualify.....but she doesnt want to lose what she has now. People are pretty upset- hince the favorate statement.

she is a spoild brat and it shows as she acts on the news and in the court.... **tosses .02**
          Oscar Wilde

Comment

!!
            her father has been very quiet about the entire ordeal. But one has to wonder, being a family court judge- how does this affect the way he deals with CPS cases with alcohol and drugs...and under age drinking....

BTW- news just stated she was given the weekend deal but took the stright time instead.
            Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by texaschickeee View Post
              !!
              her father has been very quiet about the entire ordeal. But one has to wonder, being a family court judge- how does this affect the way he deals with CPS cases with alcohol and drugs...and under age drinking....

BTW- news just stated she was given the weekend deal but took the stright time instead.
              Well, judging by the actions of his daughter, he is either death on drunk driving (but ONLY on judging it, not by teaching that it is wrong), or a slap on the wrist kinda guy.
              A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9987 users online. 392 members and 9595 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
              X