300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dixie Chicks Interview

Anybody catch Diane Sawyer's interview with the Dixie Chicks tonight? The dispatchers had it on.

I only had one thing to say...WAAAAA

I hear they are going from trashing Bush to showing it.

Comment

didn't watch. and hopefully most people didn't either.
      I'll post, You argue.

Comment

Here's a link.

As much as I'd have once LOVED to have seen them nekkid-especially Emily, whose always been the prettiest to me, the cover photo is EITHER retouched BIGTIME, or their heads pictured on the bodies of completely other models.

Natalie is NOT anywhere near that toned or skinny, and even the other two look too perfect being that they are recent mothers, IMHO. The last pics I recall seeing of Emily, she was still pregnant.

I doubt whether we'll ever know for sure, since this is part of their "defiance" but I feel confident in this. And if the story does break, you can say you heard it here first. [Wink]

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/24/dixie.chicks/index.html

Chicks defiant with interview, nude cover

Band defends antiwar sentiments, cites concerns about safety

Thursday, April 24, 2003 Posted: 11:59 PM EDT (0359 GMT)

(CNN) -- On the eve of their U.S. tour, the Dixie Chicks -- who raised a ruckus last month with lead singer Natalie Maines' comments about President Bush and the war in Iraq -- have blasted back with both barrels.

They answer their critics in an interview with Diane Sawyer and appear nude on the cover of Entertainment Weekly under the headline, "The Dixie Chicks Come Clean."

"I'm not truly embarrassed that, you know, President Bush is from my state, that's not really what I care about," Maines said in an interview with Sawyer, according to The Associated Press. The interview aired on ABC's "Primetime Thursday."

"It was the wrong wording with genuine emotion and questions and concern behind it. ... Am I sorry that I asked questions and that I just don't follow? No."

In a March 10 concert in London, England, Maines told the crowd: "Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas." The group also hails from the Lone Star State.

Maines apologized for her comments later that week, but the damage was done: A number of country music radio stations stopped playing the group's songs, and some organizations sponsored bonfires in which the group's CDs were destroyed.

Maines and the trio's other members -- sisters Emily Robison and Martie Maguire -- also tell Sawyer the fallout was too harsh for the offense and they've always supported U.S. troops, even though they questioned the war.

"It's the people who have gone overboard and done such irrational things that take you back to the days of book burning. That is a concern for me," Maguire said.

"We know some of our fans were shocked and ... upset. I totally understand it. My problem is, when does it cross the line? When is trashing Emily's property OK? When is writing a threatening letter OK?"

Robison added that the band was dealing with "bigger issues" than the loss of record sales.

"I'm concerned about my safety. I'm concerned about my safety for my family," she said. "When you're getting death threats ... At our concerts this year, we have to have metal detectors, and to me that's just crazy. But we have to take precautions because this thing has gotten so out of control."

Naked honesty

The interview aired a week before the group begins its U.S. tour, scheduled to start May 1 in Greenville, South Carolina.

On the May 2 issue of Entertainment Weekly, the three appear naked with epithets such as "Traitors," "Boycott," "Proud Americans" and "Dixie Sluts" printed on their bodies.

"It's not about the nakedness," the New York Post reported Maguire as saying. "It's about clothes getting in the way of labels."

The Chicks earned support from another musical quarter recently. On his Web site, Bruce Springsteen defended the group's right to say what they believe.

"The Dixie Chicks have taken a big hit lately for exercising their basic right to express themselves," wrote Springsteen -- who has been touring overseas. "For them to be banished wholesale from radio stations, and even entire radio networks, for speaking out is un-American. The pressure coming from the government and big business to enforce conformity of thought concerning the war and politics goes against everything that this country is about -- namely freedom."

Maguire told Sawyer that she believes the group has taken harder knocks because of the conservative nature of country music.

"History tells us that we're very conservative," she said. "I don't think it's because we're women. I don't think it's because of anything else."

Album sales, tour successful
        Despite the controversy -- or perhaps because of it -- the Chicks remain one of the top draws in all of pop music.

Though the group's song "Travelin' Soldier," which was No. 1 on Billboard's country charts around the time Maines made the remark, fell off the charts, sales of the group's CD, "Home," picked up after an initial dip.

The album has been out since late summer, selling more than 6 million copies. It hit No. 1 on Billboard's album chart and has spent 19 weeks at No. 1 on Billboard's country album chart.

Most of the shows on the tour already had sold out before Maines' comments. The band's agent, Rob Light, was unavailable for comment Wednesday but told Billboard this week that of the 59 shows, only six have seats left and those are all 85 percent to 90 percent sold.
        People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

And another link:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-12297696,00.html

CHICKS' NAKED FURY

Anti-war band the Dixie Chicks have hit back at their critics - by posing naked on the front of a leading showbiz magazine.

The Grammy-winning band suffered a massive backlash in America after they said they were "ashamed" President George Bush was from their home state of Texas.

They were slated on TV chatshows in the US, radio stations and American newspapers.

'Not about nakedness'

Many US radio stations banned their songs and record sales fell sharply.

But the band, who have since apologised for the comments, have come out fighting.

They appear on the front of Entertainment Weekly with the slogans "Traitors" "Saddam's Angels" "Dixie Sluts", "Proud Americans" printed across their bodies.

"We don't want people to think that we are trying to be provocative. It's not about the nakedness," said band member Martie Maguire.

'Disrespectful'

"It's about clothes getting in the way of labels."

Dixie Chicks singer Natalie Maines says in an interview to be aired on ABC TV she "regretted" the remarks at the Shepherds Bush Empire in London but stands by her anti-war views.

"At that moment, on the eve of war, I had a lot of questions that I felt were unanswered," Maines told ABC.

"I think the way I said it was disrespectful. The wording I used, the way I said it, that was disrespectful. I feel regret for, you know, the choice of words. Am I sorry that I asked questions and that I don't just follow? No."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

quote:
          "At that moment, on the eve of war, I had a lot of questions that I felt were unanswered," Maines told ABC.

WELL F********************K ME! WE CAN'T HAVE ENTERTAINERS WALKING AROUND HERE WITH UNANSWERED QUESTIONS!!!!!!!!!

I think that is the problem I have with many anti-war types and other people that complain about government-they act as if THEY are entitled to be briefed on everything and have to sign off on it. Some things are really "need to know" and they didn't NEED TO KNOW. Nor did any war plan require the signature of Barbara Striesand, any member of the Dixie Chicks, Michael Moore, etc.

Some just protest because they CAN. NEVER MIND you look like an idiot, protesting has become chic-JUST DO IT!
          People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

no doubt that Photoshop/airbrushing played a MAJOR part in that picture. fatass maines hasn't been that skinny since 1988 i bet!! i always thought she had a cute face though.

plus that crossed-eyed chick is just scary lookin'!! [Eek!]

when in doubt of where your career is going, the result is always "take your clothes off". that should get you another 15 minutes of fame.

[ 04-25-2003, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: nickg ]
            I'll post, You argue.

Comment

If they were REALLY wanting to make a statement, they would have REALLY 'posed' nekked...not the half-*****ed way they did.
              "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
              -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

I thought the same things when I saw the magazine cover. Where are the stretch marks? And, Maines isn't that skinny. I hope the local station doesn't ever play their songs. I will start channel surfing if I hear their music.
                Drug Recognition Expert

Comment

What really ****es me off is the publicity they are gaining from all this BS. Ok, so she had the right to speak her mind. But I have the right to be ****ed and to neither buy, nor listen to their music.
                  6P1 (retired)

Comment

Don are you kidding? Publicity? read the previous posts man, it's all damaging publicity, who needs that?

I am a confirmed Dixie Chicks fan since 5 years ago and just love them and their top country music, I have them on video doing some CLASS concerts they are are very talented, it's the truth

they have a right to come out with what they believe in SURE but they shouldn't do so at their concerts!
                    fans pay TOP MONEY $ to attend and don't need to pay to hear someone else's unpatriotic views, DC have dropped their baggage onto paying fans who didn't deserve that treatment

now DC are paying the price BIG TIME
                    from your old mate
                    c h i e f y
                    global chiefy to yer seadog seafarin' maties

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3196 users online. 195 members and 3001 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X